Reducing case fan noise

disports

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2008
Hey guys.

Recently I replaced the stock fans and a couple of other fans in my Black Pearl. As of now, I have two fans in the bottom compartment (HDD area), one in the upper compartment as rear intake, and the top two fans also has intake. I replaced all the fans with Scythe GTs (1450rpm). I noticed that the top two fans make a little bit more noise (audible enough to annoy me and running at 1080 rpm due to fan controller) compared to the other 3. When the top fans are flipped to be exhaust, they don't make any noise at all. It also seems that the closer the top two fans are screwed into the case, the more noise they make. So as of now, they're loosely screwed in leaving a little bit of a gap between the fan and the top of the case which has reduced the noise a little bit. Is there any way to reduce the noise?

Thanks.

disports

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2008
Right. I guess I could try and use leftover rubber grommets that are supposed to be used for hard drives. Thanks.

Last edited:

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
What you're noticing is this: http://www.silverstonetek.com/tech/wh_chessis.php?area

I have the same case, the top two fan exhausts (or intakes) are the noisiest portions of the case.

It's the poor fan hole choice on ABS's (Lian-Li really) part.

You could try making a shroud (hollowed out fan) to put more space between the vents and your fan. Might reduce the noise since there will be less turbulence right at the holes. Having the fans further away from the holes also reduces the dead-space foot print in the center of the fan, which should distribute airflow better.

Last edited:

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
poor acoustic design, next time get a p18x type case.

a lot of those other cases are made for looks

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
poor acoustic design, next time get a p18x type case.

a lot of those other cases are made for looks

A p180 can't fit 2 3x120 radiators, a 2x120 radiator and have 7 5.25" drive bays. Not a comparable case series...

smithrwon since the top vents don't have any filters, I'd use them for exhaust anyway. You said the fans were silent exhausting air too.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
You need these.

Also, try those fans without the fan controller. Sometimes fan controllers add noise.