red light cameras...

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
Wow.. just saw flashes when making a left turn on an intersection when the light was green.

Those thing report false positives a lot?

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Our government thanks you for your generous donation, the money will be well spent upgrading NSA spy equipment to better protect you from our enemies of tomorrow!

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Were you alone at the intersection? Another car may have rolled through a right turn, or came to a stop past the line. Easy money.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Just because they take pictures doesn't mean you're automatically getting a ticket, they take a picture if you're rolling over the white line while turning right, but if you come to a complete stop before turning you don't get a ticket. I drive through a few every day to work and I have only received one ticket, they actually send you a video if you get one.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
A bee flew through at the same time going straight. It however won't show up on the photo, you're screwed.

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
A bee flew through at the same time going straight. It however won't show up on the photo, you're screwed.

It was on a green....

And I wasn't alone on the intersection. Lots of cars were making left turn from both sides.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Ouch these things sound nasty. Glad we don't have them here. I do see cameras at intersections though, but I don't know if they're just some kind of sensors, or something they only review when there's an accident. Or maybe they are red light cameras but they actually arn't abused.

That's the issue with tech like this, it sounds good in principal, but when it's the government in charge they'll just abuse it.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I see both speed and red-light cameras going off all the time even with no cars around. Someone said they occasionally run tests to confirm the system is working so that may be what some of these are. While the ones near here make a ton of money, they may a massive chunk for the maintenance costs. There are two cameras on my way to work and I've seen an engineer working on them almost every morning for the last 4 weeks.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I went through a red light at 5:00AM, it had just turned red as I passed underneath the light, a bright white flash came on, I figured I would be getting a ticket in the mail shortly afterwards but 4 months have gone by and I never got one, guess I got lucky and it must have malfunctioned somehow..

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
One photo showing you entering intersection, one photo showing you in the intersection and moving... That's what I heard, so it's flash number two that should worry you.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I went through a red light at 5:00AM, it had just turned red as I passed underneath the light, a bright white flash came on, I figured I would be getting a ticket in the mail shortly afterwards but 4 months have gone by and I never got one, guess I got lucky and it must have malfunctioned somehow..

The correct thing to is throw it out if you're past the stop line when it turns red. I tend to doubt all jurisdictions follow the rules.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Red light cams are revenue makers.
The other cams are nefarious, ALPRS, automatic license plate recognition systems, that actually ID your car and cross check various databases to record your presence and see if you need some arresting or following.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
ATOT'ers seem obsessed with red light camera's considering the number of threads over the past few years.

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
No. As I said before, each instance is reviewed by a human before a ticket is issued. As long as you've entered the intersection before the light has turned red, you're good.

ATOT'ers seem obsessed with red light camera's considering the number of threads over the past few years.
ATOTers like to go through red lights. :whiste:

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
Not intentionally I ran a red light today too, but since there was semi in front of me and covered most of my view, I just followed it and once I seen the lights turned red I just continued or otherwise I would stop in the middle of intersection. There were no cams at this one.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
The correct thing to is throw it out if you're past the stop line when it turns red. I tend to doubt all jurisdictions follow the rules.

Yea, I agree, they are a cash cow for all the cities that install them, a company does all the work, installs the cameras for free the splits the proceeds 50/50% with the city..