Red Faction Armageddon

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Game comes out in a week. The only demo (besides the X360) out for us PC gamers is currently OnLive. It's a 30 min demo.

Seemed pretty decent overall, the destruction is still there and great. Now with a nano suit thing you can repair structures as well.

It has the most devastating weapon ever that will be in the game when it is released (not in the demo sadly)

Video of said weapon of awesomeness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aorjnobv-I0&feature=player_embedded

First time I ever used OnLive and I have to say it was much better then I was expecting. Sure the video quality isn't all that great, but for demos I really liked it. Was able to make a free account and start playing the game in under a minute. I'm definitely going to use them for demos if they have them for now on. Only downside is if you want to use the demo to gauge performance on your PC, but I think for a good portion of us we know if something is gonna run decently or not on our rigs.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Yeah, I didn't think they would be topping the ostrich hammer they put into Gorilla, boy was I wrong.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I imagine the game will score well, Volition has a good track record

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Look's decent from the footage I've seen, but probably not a day one purchase.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Look's decent from the footage I've seen, but probably not a day one purchase.

Yeah, I don't really buy games day one anymore. Since it is a Steamworks game I'll wait till D2D has one of those 25% off sales or whatever and grab it there probably since I have almost $50 in credit there.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
The only day 1 purchases I have made in recent memory are COD BLOPS and NFS Shift 2. In both cases I regretted it. :(

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I finally got around to playing this and it made Duke Nukem look like even more of a piece of crap than I thought. :)
I almost didn't buy it since I heard it wasn't a free roam game, and that's alot of what I enjoyed about the last one.
I am glad I got it, it still has alot of destruction and rebuilding with the nanoforge. Really quite a cool thing!
I only got to play for a few hours late tonight, but as far as I can tell, the rest of the game should be alot of fun.
(And fun is why I play games, not BS nostalgia, mindless gunning, or lame voice acting. Yeah, I'm still bitter Duke.)
:)
If you enjoyed the last one, you'll probably dig this one as well. Lots of new destructive options (Magnet gun!) and it's far from boring.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I played it, it crashes about every 2 minutes, sometimes forcing me to reset my computer. A real PITA so I haven't played much.

^ I'm currently playing DNF and I'm enjoying it. I don't really have any memories of early Duke Nukem games, since I was about 8 or 9 when I played Duke Nukem 3D at my grandparent's house and don't remember the game. So the character and stuff is new to me.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Tried the 30 minute trial on OnLive. Gameplay looks fun. I'll probably get it on Steam, eventually.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
Loved the last Red Faction, so quite excited about this one.

It's a pretty big departure from RF:G, but is a great game in it's own right. It's a lot more frantic than Guerrilla and can really get the adrenaline pumping. I have no regrets about getting it at full price.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I got around to finishing it tonight and I really enjoyed the experience. Not much replay value and not as pure fun as Guerilla, but great nonetheless. There's enough gameplay variety to keep it from getting stale. (The whole game isn't just a TPS, there are different kinds of vehicles you pilot throughout the game. (Not like Guerilla where it was more like GTA, but more like "here's what you'll be using for this section".)
I loved the selection of weapons. I never used the pistol style weapons, mostly the nano-based destruction weapons.
The destruction/recreation was done very well, alot better than expected. Descruction had been done in Guerilla, but the recreation is new and works pretty flawlessly. (I call it recreation instead of creation since you can't really build anything that wasn't previously there.)
Gripes:
-Turrets. I hate turrets. Seriously.
-Cliche moments storywise (that's almost to be expected these days)

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I got around to finishing it tonight and I really enjoyed the experience. Not much replay value and not as pure fun as Guerilla, but great nonetheless. There's enough gameplay variety to keep it from getting stale. (The whole game isn't just a TPS, there are different kinds of vehicles you pilot throughout the game. (Not like Guerilla where it was more like GTA, but more like "here's what you'll be using for this section".)
I loved the selection of weapons. I never used the pistol style weapons, mostly the nano-based destruction weapons.
The destruction/recreation was done very well, alot better than expected. Descruction had been done in Guerilla, but the recreation is new and works pretty flawlessly. (I call it recreation instead of creation since you can't really build anything that wasn't previously there.)
Gripes:
-Turrets. I hate turrets. Seriously.
-Cliche moments storywise (that's almost to be expected these days)

thanks for the short review. :)

Holy crow - you must have a lot of time [and money to burn] to play games. :D