recreational hunting is stupid

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
What's so recreational about hunting? As long as they eat the meat and use the other items, who gives a crap? Isn't eating a burger nothing more than a bi-product of recreational hunting? For that matter, isn't picking veggies nothing more than recreational hunting of growing organisms? Will you starve in the next 5 hours due to your inability to eat anything?

Recreational breeding is stupid, why are you here?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
ohh $2 blowjob? WTF KK you charged me $20!

damn that fvckin RV, you cut one person a deal and then he blabs his fvckin mouth about it. How's one supposed to make a living?

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
It's funny, not hunting mind you, but fishing!

I love fishing but will always let them go no matter the size. I always take pics though!
The catch is, is that if my family is with me (and they love fish) and they want to eat, I'll totally clean and cook them............... But I HATE FISH!

Catfish, Bass, Bluegill/Bream, Crappie/Shellcraker, etc............ I'll kill, clean and cook but will not eat them myself!

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: Platypus
Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
Its called hunting, not fighting I believe. Guess you would ban fishing too?

Fishing and hunting are totally different.

kinda.

but the fish is still s tortured for fun (saying that i love to fish).

Totally different. With hunting.. you shoot the animal and it dies. Game over.

With fishing, not only are you not guaranteed that a fish will take your bait (it's up to the fish), you can always toss the fish back and they go back to their lives. With hunting it's over the moment you pull the trigger.

It's not that different at all. Many hunters stalk or lie in wait of game near artificially created food plots or automatic feeders. It's not guaranteed that the animals will take their bait (it's up to the animal). The hunter could always allow the game animal to pass by or take a snapshot with a camera, as taking a shot with a gun would be about as difficult as taking a picture (this would be the equivalent of throwing a fish back).

I would equate pulling the trigger with throwing a fish in the live-box after removing it from your hook. In that situation the fates of the animals are the same.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I like this idea, and I think that we should test it! Let's put the OP in a cage with a Grizzly Bear with only a pocket knife to defend himself. With his superior intellect and elitist world view, it should be more than a fair fight.... right?

Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
I like this idea, and I think that we should test it! Let's put the OP in a cage with a Grizzly Bear with only a pocket knife to defend himself. With his superior intellect and elitist world view, it should be more than a fair fight.... right?
I have a better idea: Let's put you in a jar of mayonnaise.

xdreadpiratedoug

Jul 25, 2007
How come no one fuckin realized that the OP said you hunt deer with a shotgun ... seriously, if you're going to talk shit about something, at least get the weapon of choice right. And before someone mentions using a slug in a shotgun, there wouldn't be anything left of the deer ...

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Originally posted by: runzwithsizorz
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Hmm... that would be fighting not hunting. I would totally fight a deer BTW.

Oh really! good luck,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...I&mode=related&search=

That deer was on the juice. You see the size of his arms?

True but each of those hits are like suckerpunches. A real knockout punch from a man would hurt a lot more. The guy got up and ran a couple times. If he was serious and ready to fight like man to man he would've taken the butt of the rifle and knocked a striking blow at that deer.. but seriously... who's prepared to start kicking the living sh!t out of a deer? No one. I swear that could've been a better fight =P

Boztech

May 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Random Variable
It's never a fair fight (e.g., a grazing deer versus a high-powered shotgun). There should at least be a possibility that the animal will kill you first.

Is there ever a possibility that a gazel will kill a lion?

"Fair" occurs only in your mind, not in nature.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

With fishing, not only are you not guaranteed that a fish will take your bait (it's up to the fish), you can always toss the fish back and they go back to their lives. With hunting it's over the moment you pull the trigger.

Suuure it is.
And you overestimate the intelligence of fish.

Originally posted by: dreadpiratedoug
How come no one fuckin realized that the OP said you hunt deer with a shotgun ... seriously, if you're going to talk shit about something, at least get the weapon of choice right. And before someone mentions using a slug in a shotgun, there wouldn't be anything left of the deer ...

Other men have tried worse and succeeded.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
Its called hunting, not fighting I believe. Guess you would ban fishing too?

Fishing and hunting are totally different.

kinda.

but the fish is still s tortured for fun (saying that i love to fish).

true. but there are times that the fish die. granted not very often.

not to mention useng live bait (wich dies) seem smean.

hmm now i want to go fishing. heh

The chances of a fish surviving are greatly increased when you hold the fishing rod in your hands and when you use a circle hook. Circle hooks are great since they cause the hook to get caught in the lip rather down in the throat. I use them for catch and release.
I for one love fishing and absolutely hate hunting.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Well we did kill off most of the predators and something has to keep the herbivore population in check. Either poison them all or hunt them. Stop crying.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Oceandevi
Well we did kill off most of the predators and something has to keep the herbivore population in check. Either poison them all or hunt them. Stop crying.

Maybe we need to introduce a few natural predators then.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: zoiks
Originally posted by: Oceandevi

Maybe we need to introduce a few natural predators then.

We have a few. But we already use the land for farming/ranching and such. Really it is to late to go back to how it was. Adapt to the new situation.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: dreadpiratedoug

Actually, hunting deer with shotgun is more than viable, it can be the law. In Illinois, it is only legal to hunt deer with shotgun, muzzleloader, or pistol. Out here, you use slugs to take them down.

Text

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
I'm just doing my part to keep the deer population in check. I don't want them to starve themselves and all die.