recreational hunting is stupid

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Random Variable
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Sounds like OP received too many "Participation" ribbons as a child.
Sounds like you pee sitting down.

ok that come back was fucking stupid.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: KK
This thread is stupid but that doesn't stop you.
You're supposedly straight, but that doesn't stop you from giving $2 blowjobs in the washrooms of Concourse T in the South Terminal of Hartsfield-Jackson.

Wait, so this whole thread is an analogy about your (lack of) wit versus the IQ of the average ATOTer?

There, there, poor little deer. It's won't hurt much.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: zoiks
Maybe we need to introduce a few natural predators then.

We need a predator to hunt the humans. Hmm, that could make a great film... What can I call it?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
It's never a fair fight (e.g., a grazing deer versus a high-powered shotgun). There should at least be a possibility that the animal will kill you first.

Fighting fair has nothing to do with it. Population management has everything to do with it. The fact is that deer largely have no natural predators on this continent anymore and hunting is necessary to keep the population in check.

Deer hunting is really the only effective means of conservation and management of the deer population in this country. Eliminate it and you will see a dramatic increase in the deer population which will mean more starvation, disease and collisions with automobiles.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Imp
It always pissed me off seeing shows on TNN or something on hunting. Wow, you can shoot a 1 ton (?) animal from the tree tops with a scoped rifle while masking your scent and luring it to you. Bravo. At least use a pistol for some sportsmanship...

I agree. You'd have to be precisely the type of person you see on those shows to get pleasure from that.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
It's never a fair fight (e.g., a grazing deer versus a high-powered shotgun). There should at least be a possibility that the animal will kill you first.

I'm not a vegetarian. I eat meat and fish. I'm just digusted by people who someone derive pleasure from killing animals that can't fight back.

Such irony...

I suppose the guy who butchered the cow for your last tasty hamburger did so after extended 1 on 1 bare knuckle combat to "make it fair?" Unless you're willing to take a knife and challenge a full grown steer to single combat next time you decide to gill a steak you have absolutely no grounds for arguing against legal hunting, dumbass. Anti-hunters who despise the concept yet buy a tasty package of burger or steaks at their local market without a second thought are the worst kind of hypocrite. It's obviously much more humane to raise an animal in a confined space, slap it on the head with a sledgehammer and then cut it into tasty bits for delivery to your supermarket...

Legal deer hunting is managed by the DNR to improve the quality and maintain balance in herd sizes. At least in MN, most of the deer that are killed in annual hunts would have died in the wild of starvation or disease through the winter which could have been otherwise catastrophic to the deer population. It's simply a matter of practicality and herd management to allow the culling of a specific number of animals by private hunters. Most hunters don't derive pleasure from killing, they derive pleasure from applying the skill required to track/flush and take an animal in it's own habitat that later provides food for their family or friends. Killing is simply a necessary part of the process, not the primary reason people choose to hunt in the wild.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..next time you go to your usuall fast food dive.. think about all the production line cattle it takes to make that industry tick. Infinitely more then game taken by hunters.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: yuppiejr

I'm not a vegetarian. I eat meat and fish. I'm just digusted by people who someone derive pleasure from killing animals that can't fight back.

Such irony...

I suppose the guy who butchered the cow for your last tasty hamburger did so after extended 1 on 1 bare knuckle combat to "make it fair?" Unless you're willing to take a knife and challenge a full grown steer to single combat next time you decide to gill a steak you have absolutely no grounds for arguing against legal hunting, dumbass. Anti-hunters who despise the concept yet buy a tasty package of burger or steaks at their local market without a second thought are the worst kind of hypocrite. It's obviously much more humane to raise an animal in a confined space, slap it on the head with a sledgehammer and then cut it into tasty bits for delivery to your supermarket...

Legal deer hunting is managed by the DNR to improve the quality and maintain balance in herd sizes. At least in MN, most of the deer that are killed in annual hunts would have died in the wild of starvation or disease through the winter which could have been otherwise catastrophic to the deer population. It's simply a matter of practicality and herd management to allow the culling of a specific number of animals by private hunters. Most hunters don't derive pleasure from killing, they derive pleasure from applying the skill required to track/flush and take an animal in it's own habitat that later provides food for their family or friends. Killing is simply a necessary part of the process, not the primary reason people choose to hunt in the wild.

Stop using logic and reason. There is no place for that in this thread.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: yuppiejr

Such irony...

The feeders that attract animals are just disgusting though. That's not hunting, it's waiting.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: dreadpiratedoug
How come no one fuckin realized that the OP said you hunt deer with a shotgun ... seriously, if you're going to talk shit about something, at least get the weapon of choice right. And before someone mentions using a slug in a shotgun, there wouldn't be anything left of the deer ...

Are you serious?

It's a shotgun, not a howitzer!

Aug 10, 2001
Hunting is a means of survival. If one wants to make it a recreational sport, at least even the playing field a bit. It's like going into a boxing ring against someone with no arms. It's pointless.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

You hunt deer with a shotgun?

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: CadetLee

Go bow-hunting for wild boar.

fuck that. thts for wimps!

real men use a knife! utube link

Wow.

Hunting for food is good. Hunting for fun is bad.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: potato28
Bear hunting good enough for you?
It might help if you know more about the subject.

I was a forest worker with many incidents that I have seen black bears & grizzlies up as close as 20 yards with out any aggression from the animals.

Wild animals doesn't have a chance vs. a rifle and often enough they lack the instinct to run away when approach by hunters, and their chance to get away is even less if the hunters were above them and/or hiding.

Aug 23, 2000
I just got back from the wilds of Africa. There's nothing like the rush of hunting baby elephants with a .50BMG. Next week we are going seal clubbing. Who's in?

Seriously though i don't mind hunting. I don't do it my self, but I don't mind people that do do it. Now the boar hunting vid posted was kinda bad though. That's not hunting, that's sticking a pig. The dogs had the thing trapped and the idiot jumped in and just started stabbing not knowing what to do. If you're going to kill an animal at least make it quick.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
The ignorance in this thread is astounding. Hunting is much harder than fishing, for one. Deer aren't idiots - as a matter of fact, they're incredibly smart. They're far, far from hopeless. Even something simple such as the clink from turning the safety off on your gun will cause most to run right away. Add in their sight and smelling abilities, and it's not easy to hunt.

Two - yes, people actually do use shotguns to hunt. As a matter of fact, in a lot of states, it's what you have to use. In MN, only up north can you use a rifle. The rest of the state you need to use a shotgun (with slugs), muzzleloader, bow, or pistol (which I believe is only if you're handicapped? Speaking of, I think you can use a crossbow if you're handicapped too..there's a weird thought).

And I've never known anybody who hunts for the kill. You hunt because it's what your ancestors did to survive, you hunt because it brings you closer to nature, you hunt becuase it takes skill, you hunt for food, and you hunt because that's what humans were made to do.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Auryg
The ignorance in this thread is astounding. Hunting is much harder than fishing, for one. Deer aren't idiots - as a matter of fact, they're incredibly smart. They're far, far from hopeless. Even something simple such as the clink from turning the safety off on your gun will cause most to run right away. Add in their sight and smelling abilities, and it's not easy to hunt.

Two - yes, people actually do use shotguns to hunt. As a matter of fact, in a lot of states, it's what you have to use. In MN, only up north can you use a rifle. The rest of the state you need to use a shotgun (with slugs), muzzleloader, bow, or pistol (which I believe is only if you're handicapped? Speaking of, I think you can use a crossbow if you're handicapped too..there's a weird thought).

And I've never known anybody who hunts for the kill. You hunt because it's what your ancestors did to survive, you hunt because it brings you closer to nature, you hunt becuase it takes skill, you hunt for food, and you hunt because that's what humans were made to do.
It is the only argument that I have ever heard from hunters, however it doesn't alleviate the animalistic thirst for killing.

My dad was a hunter and he started at age 12, but as he aged he realizes life/nature is beautiful and so he hunt with a camera instead a gun.

agentbad

Nov 2, 2004
Hunting to mount a deer head on your wall and show everyone how many points it has is wrong. Hunting to keep the population at acceptable levels is OK in my book. Just watch out for Dick Cheney.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

how do you think you get meat and shit at the grocery store? someone had to kill those animals and I guarrantee it wasn't a fair fight there. in fact, hunting gives the animal more chance to get away - it's not in a pen (usually).

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: CadetLee

Go bow-hunting for wild boar.

fuck that. thts for wimps!

real men use a knife! utube link

I have a friend who used to do that without dogs. He'd lay bait under a tree, wait for one to come along, hop on it's back , and slit it's throat.

He quit after a javelina cut him up.