Recovering deleted data

fatso485

May 6, 2007
Hello all

I am trying to recover data from the hard drives of about 15 identically configured PCs that got hit by the same virus. The files were all resident in the D drive( all drives were got their D partions deleted, system C: drive is fine) The important data that needs to be retrieved is mostly the usual office documents (mostly Docs, XLS, PSTs, PPTs, PICS). I have a few questions and notes:

1- Need a software that does this very reliably and easily. I would prefer a free solution. but a pay software is also fine if I will be getting much more recovery rate.
2- Is there an article that compares the features, reliability, of various recovery software. I need to know the real differences between what’s available. I remember using ontrack easy recovery 6 or 7 years ago but im hoping to find free (or cheaper) better alternatives that are optimized at recovering as much as possible of the documents files
3- I think one of the users tried to recover his files (not sure what obscure software he used) and the kind of problems he ran into were: no file name of recovered files; low retrieval rate; damaged PST file (he got the header of the emails but not the body). Working but non-complete documents.
4- Having a way to simplify or automate the procedure for all the PCs would be nice. The Win7 PCs are part of the domain. But using a bootable USB or CD that does this for each PC is fine
5- Putting the recovered file on specific folders based on the extension would also be handy

Last edited:

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Having 15 PCs is challenging, but if at all possible, make a bit-for-bit image and recover from the image. Don't take a chance that the data could be damaged further in case of a botched recovery, crash, power outage, etc.

Last edited:

fatso485

May 6, 2007
@larry there is a backup server but it you cant count on it being used all the time by users which is what happened.

@chusteczka thanks will go over the posted links

@AnonymouseUser the drive that has the deleted files is untouched. in fact, they are disconnected and all PCs are booting from a new drive that were installed just to not hurt the chance of recovering the data

I was hoping that i can get your experience guys on the most commonly used recovery software.

fatso485

May 6, 2007
after looking at one drive i can say that the most important file to retrive is the outlook PST file. so im looking at the best way to do so. from my quick search online, i need to be looking at what is known as file carving software.

so any recomendation of a good one. something that allows for the automation of the process would be nice