Record 46 Million Americans on Food Stamps

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
9-5-2012

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/recor...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Record 46 Million Americans on Food Stamps

"The unemployment data is not really telling us the true story of how many people are underemployed," says Peter Cardillo, chief market economist at Rockwell Global Capital in New York. Food stamps are "a good indication of how the income of the workforce has stagnated and more and more people are applying for food stamps."

15 percent of the American population is on the program.

The costs, at $6.025 billion for the month.

There were fewer than 31 million people on food stamps as recently as November 2008

"The economy has fewer good jobs now than it did at the start of the 21st century," Annette Bernhardt, policy co-director at the NELP, said in a statement. "Indeed, it's important to recognize that the U.S. labor market was already in trouble before the Great Recession, the result of 30 years of growing wage inequality and shrinking numbers of good jobs."

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
46 million. And there we are. 46 million reasons NOT to let Romney repeat the Bush economy, during which we lost millions of jobs.
People got to eat.
I'd rather see 46 million on food stamps under a compassionate Obama administration, than 46 million starving jobless Americans under an Romney administration.

But no one is being fooled here. We all remember all too well how many jobs were lost durning those eight Bush years. The massive home foreclosures. And the grand Bush finale, that taxpayer bailout.
But I'm tired of preaching. If people can't figure this out form themselves, I feel sorry for you.

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
The new compassion...food stamps instead of work.

Nice B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-Bush.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Its just going to get worse.

No president or congress will commit to getting our jobs back from china.

As long as we have free trade, nothing is going to change.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Its just going to get worse.

No president or congress will commit to getting our jobs back from china.

As long as we have free trade, nothing is going to change.

I agree.

Let us create jobs. In the army/military. And find/start a war somewhere. That normally works. (Look at WW2 for evidence)

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
When a good job is $10 per hour people wonder why food stamps are so widely used...

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
46 million. And there we are. 46 million reasons NOT to let Romney repeat the Bush economy, during which we lost millions of jobs.
People got to eat.
I'd rather see 46 million on food stamps under a compassionate Obama administration, than 46 million starving jobless Americans under an Romney administration.

But no one is being fooled here. We all remember all too well how many jobs were lost durning those eight Bush years. The massive home foreclosures. And the grand Bush finale, that taxpayer bailout.
But I'm tired of preaching. If people can't figure this out form themselves, I feel sorry for you.

You apparently believe Bush left office in 2010.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
You apparently believe Bush left office in 2010.

Well I learned at the 2008 Democratic convention that Bush took office BEFORE the 2000 dotcom crash. So if he was secretly President before he was elected why is it any surprise that he stayed on as secret President after Obama was elected? :D

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Iraq is not a real war, its more like a police action.

This. It was too easy and short.

We need a drawn out 4-5 year. Multi-millions dying, with every factory converting to artillery and not commercial industry. It would create jobs on both fronts.

(FYI, that on top of a few programs in place from the early/mid 30s is why we finally left the depression)

Anyways it was a joke, though can be a serious response, as wartime usually helps economies.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Wait a min, people thought Government Unemployment figures were true?

Take 5 min to look into how the # is calculated and you will quickly learn that doubling IF NOT TRIPLING the # would be more realistic.

We are at about 15-20%+ unemployment RIGHT NOW.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012

Take 5 min to look into how the # is calculated and you will quickly learn that doubling IF NOT TRIPLING the # would be more realistic.

I blame aliens.

Nov 30, 2006
A lot of people are hurting and the number keeps going up. We need results, not empty "hope and change" rhetoric. What exactly is Obama's plan anyway?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

You seem to be wanting to cite the U6 unemployment figures which last I heard were in the 15%ish range.

U3 being the 8%ish commonly cited figure.

Of course the U6/U3 ratio is basically unchanged since the beginning of the recession. So your numbers are pure sensationalism.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
A lot of people are hurting and the number keeps going up. We need results, not empty "hope and change" rhetoric. What exactly is Obama's plan anyway?

Yes, its called the 'Bowles-Simpson plan'...business in this country need some certainty and stability in the coming years and mostly all moderate people agree this is the last best hope...

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
How many people advocating for more war would sign that dotted line to improve the economy for everyone else? (which is complete bullshit in its own right)

It's easy as hell to say let's go to war if your to much of a pussy to actually go fight. Anyone who says these recent "police actions" were not wars are free to go see for themselves how easy they are/were.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
We need a drawn out 4-5 year. Multi-millions dying, with every factory converting to artillery and not commercial industry. It would create jobs on both fronts.

First, we have to have factories to convert.

Since a lot of our factories have been sent to china and demolished, we have to start over.

Here in southeast Texas, where welding shops and shipyards once sat, are today open fields with grass.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
mom_foodstamp_change.jpg

"Because the just announced jump in foodstamp usage of over 1.1 million is entirely out of the blue, and as the chart below shows, is the highest single monthly jump in Foodstamp participation since mid 2009, when eligibility requirements were adjusted. Yes, that's 45.8 million people (obviously an all time record) living on foodstamps which amount to the whopping $133.80 per person (an increase of $0.54 M/M) and $283.65 (an increase of $1.29) per household. Obviously, annualizing the latest monthly rate of 1.1 million people, it means that over 13 million Americans will live on about one third what the cheapest iPad costs in about a year.

But wait, there's more. Digging into the numbers reveals something pecuiliar: virtually the entire surge in monthly SNAP participation is due to one state alone: Alabama, which saw those living on foodstamps jump from 868K to 1.762MM. That's 36% of Alabama's population. Is this merely a grand rehearsal for the Jefferson County bankruptcy*? Did the state see a mass surge in foodstamp use as hundreds of thousands are trying to game the system in advance of what will be an apic Chapter 9? And if yes, what does that mean for all the other states which will promptly follow in the footsteps of Jefferson County, and for US foodstamp participation."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/food-...years-alabama-foodstamp-recipients-double-may

* Wall Street and Jefferson Country Bankruptcy (JP Morgan interest rate swaps): http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/money-power-wall-street/#d (episode 4, start at 21:40 minute mark)

Regarding welfare, statistics I've heard on tv say there are more whites than blacks on welfare, and that most of the welfare recipients are either children or women (I forgot, but it might have been more specifically working women with children).

Amazing how everything keeps circling back to the Bush years...

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
Yes, its called the 'Bowles-Simpson plan'...business in this country need some certainty and stability in the coming years and mostly all moderate people agree this is the last best hope...
Has Obama implemented any aspects of the Bowles-Simpson plan? Seems to me that it's more abount deficit reduction than creating jobs.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Regarding welfare, statistics I've heard on tv say there are more whites than blacks on welfare, and that most of the welfare recipients are either children or women (I forgot, but it might have been more specifically working women with children).

Amazing how everything keeps circling back to the Bush years...

What group of people is missing? Hmm. Maybe if the women knew how to please HER man they would have to rely on THE man.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
First, we have to have factories to convert.

Since a lot of our factories have been sent to china and demolished, we have to start over.

Here in southeast Texas, where welding shops and shipyards once sat, are today open fields with grass.

You would be surprised. I work as an engineer in a car part factory in middle of no where indiana. Which is also surrounded by 2 other factories.

And that is only for a few single car parts for Ford, GM and Chrysler. There are many more factories in American than people think.