Recommended Tweaks

jlfirehawk

Jan 10, 2005
Since posting in the system score thread just wanting to get any opinions on any changes I should make to tweak this system any better.
EverestCapture.JPG

CPUID.JPG

Motherboard is a EVGA SLI 3 x58, not sure if the memory timings are what they should be as well as using the evga eleet tuning tool what the best settings should be. Using a corsair H70 water cooler on the cpu so temperatures are not an issue.

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
Your RAM is quite slow (in comparison to the rest of your rig). With the low prices of DDR3 these days, perhaps looking at getting some faster RAM. I would suggest some 1600mhz @ 7-7-7-21 CR1 or faster. But you may not notice much difference other than in benchmarks.

Other than that, you have a very nice Rig.

Last edited:

jlfirehawk

Jan 10, 2005
Any recommendations based on what Microcenter carries, I am not that well versed in the differences in memory speeds and which one would be the best option. The two fastest options are Patriot DDR3 2000 or Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 8gb kits which I would just put two in. Never dealt with Patriot memory before though. Also based on my processor and Motherboard do I go with triple channel kit or dual channel kits.

Last edited:

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
Just checked MC and found nothing I would buy. I like MC for a lot of things, but RAM is not one of them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231411 is a great deal and this RAM is fast. Will let you run @ 2000mhz or run slower @ 1600mhz with really tight timings. I personally buy RAM at faster speeds than I plan on running and just run slower with tight timings. This leaves me the option to run faster at a later point if I so choose.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
What sort of performance gain is OP likely to get from splashing out on new faster RAM?

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
What sort of performance gain is OP likely to get from splashing out on new faster RAM?

Like I said, he may only see performance gains in benchmarks. his rig is a really nice one as is. I am hard pressed to find anything that would really make much of a difference. But upgrading memory WILL increase his 'Windows Experience Index', and that is what he was asking. I went from a 7.8 to a 7.9 going from 1600mhz to 1866mhz.

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
The bang/buck on fancy RAM doesn't register on the reasonable-meter. Just say no.

Do you have speed step on? how fast are you running your CPU?

jlfirehawk

Jan 10, 2005
I do a bit of everything cept gaming, a lot of video conversions being an IT director and the only IT person here anything that has a plug I deal with. The one thing I don't get is why this memory http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...=BL25664BN1608 will not run on this motherboard faster than 1333 speeds? I have it set in the bios to xmp profile 1 to run at ddr3 1600 but for some it drops down to 1333. I just went through hell when I updated the bios on the board it no longer will see the revodrive which my os is installed on so had to go back a version then had the marvell controller just hang and had to change the bios on that one again. I also run several virtual machines for testing at the same time so I do put it through its paces. Just trying to make sure after doing all this that I am doing all I can to make it run at its peak.

jlfirehawk

Jan 10, 2005
As far as speedstep I do have it on but as far as the settings in the eleet tuning utility not sure what is safe to change there.
Eleet.JPG

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
As far as speedstep I do have it on but as far as the settings in the eleet tuning utility not sure what is safe to change there.

I've never been much for tweaking through a utility, I always use the BIOS, but given the proliferation of them I would think that they would be OK to use for some mild OC's = There's tons of info out there on how to clock you system, way more than I can ever tell you

- Just be sure not to leave your voltages on automatic - you want to set them manually

- I tend to leave the PCIe bus alone or, when OCs start to get high, lower them

- Start with small changes, you can certainly increase that

- IMO speedstep is fine once you're rocking a stable OC, but leave it off for testing.

jlfirehawk

Jan 10, 2005
Thanks for the advice, I will play around but like most said I probably will not get much more out of this system with the exception of benchmark results. Still bugs me this memory being Crucial Ballistic isnt running at ddr3 1600 for some reason.