Question Recommendations re/drivers

joecool

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2001
I'm building a new rig w/the Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite mobo, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2-2280 500GB SSD, and Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 RAM (2x8GB), and my old XFX Radeon HD 6950 graphics card. Looking for recommendations on the best practices in terms of source and order of installing drivers. This is a clean Win10 build. Some specific questions:

1) Install disc that came w/mobo has AM4 drivers version 19.10.08. Gigabyte web page has 19.10.16. AMD web site has 2.01.15.2138. The version number for the AMD driver seems really different. Which should I use? I'm leaning towards the ones from the Gigabyte page since I assume those have been tested against this mobo.
2) Do I need to install special drivers for the Intel ethernet? Seems like it's already working.

Thanks,

Joe

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
1) Install disc that came w/mobo has AM4 drivers version 19.10.08. Gigabyte web page has 19.10.16. AMD web site has 2.01.15.2138. The version number for the AMD driver seems really different. Which should I use? I'm leaning towards the ones from the Gigabyte page since I assume those have been tested against this mobo.
Install the chipset driver from AMD for the X570 chipset, and forget using Gigabyte's version or whatever comes on the disc.
2) Do I need to install special drivers for the Intel ethernet? Seems like it's already working.
Windows 10 automatically installs drivers for most, but it might not be the latest version. Right click on it in device manager, and select update driver to see.

Windows 10 is pretty smart, so you can update things like your GPU driver at pretty much any point in time. I generally let Windows 10 do all its various updates and then see if I need to update things like the GPU, Wifi/Bluetooth, or network drivers.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you do decide to install updated drivers for the Intel onboard ethernet, Intel calls their LAN drivers, "Pro/SET". So, search for that on their site, I guess. Generally, though, LAN drivers installed by Win10 are "Good enough", and in the case on my RealTek PCI-E and USB NICs, oftentimes, the "Microsoft" driver, performs/behaves better than the newer, more updated, "RealTek" driver for the same hardware. Just in my experience.

Reactions: Charlie98