Recommendations for young child Nintento Switch (Lite) games

Inquisition8

Nov 15, 2018
Hi,

Just got a Switch Lite for my fresh 6 year old. He's into Minecraft and is playing the Mario template ok-ish, but still gets frustrated. I can't believe I'm posting this as I don't know how he can even play it, but he can. Anyway, are there any games you'd recommend for a youngin (maybe with some child controls - I think Mario Kart has an assist feature) that he'd like? He's into adventure-style games. I was thinking Luigi's Mansion or Animal Crossing, but not sure if either would be too complex. Currently he's mostly involved in "Brawl Stars" on his phone (very dumbed-down MOBA).

Any suggestions?

TIA

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My 5 year old son loves Mario Kart. The assist is perfect for kids his age. He can actually do 50cc without assist but he chooses to keep it on most of the time. I highly recommend that. He plays it with me online now as well.

The Kirby game is VERY kid friendly. I forget the name of it but I believe it was the first one that came out for Switch. I beat it without dying and like never even came close to dying. I sold it because it was just too easy and wasn't very fun because of that. It would be great for kids. It's the one where you can play with other people I think and change into a bunch of different things with powerups.

Yoshi's Crafted World is also very kid friendly. It's pretty easy but has a lot of collectibles that can be tough to get for more of a challenge. But the overall game is great for kids.

I'd say get Mario Marker 2 as well. If you play the game online and download levels, you can sort by difficulty and there are a lot of beginner platform levels in that game that could get him more accustomed to that style of play.

One game that is deceivingly NOT a kids game is Monster Boy. They look cute but they are tough as balls with no hand holding.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
A lot of us grew up gaming on NES/SNES/N64 and various other consoles, so I'm curious why games from those systems are out of the question? Not to mention we had Super Mario Kart without any types of assists and we did just fine back then.

dum

Oct 11, 2001
Seconded on Mariokart and Yoshi's Crafted World. My kids (7 and 5) like both of those. They like to just grab my games and play around with them and sometimes end up running with a game. They both picked up Mario Odyssey on their own with little help and have both nearly beaten the game. Mario+Rabbids is also popular with them.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
A lot of us grew up gaming on NES/SNES/N64 and various other consoles, so I'm curious why games from those systems are out of the question? Not to mention we had Super Mario Kart without any types of assists and we did just fine back then.

Gotta agree. Don't know why a game has to be easy just because it's for a six year old. I was playing stuff like Super Mario Bros, Castlevania, Kung Fu, Zaxxon, Galaga, Phoenix, Outrun, and the like at that age. I mean I'd never beat them until I was maybe 8 or 9 (and Outrun I have never beat), but those games were still a lot of fun.

Reactions: Stg-Flame

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
All too often I see gamers asking for recommendations for their children despite growing up playing all those you listed and more. I saw someone ask this same question in the Secret of Evermore board and after they admitted to playing it when they were 7 years old, they said it was "too violent for my 9 year old".

My brain started to hurt after reading how many people were complimenting them for being a good parent and they not once realized that they grew up just fine playing the same game but at a younger age.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I don't understand why it's so hard for some of you to just answer OP's question instead of letting everyone know how much of a billy badass you were growing up. Dude is asking for games geared towards kids not what you grew up playing on 80's technology.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I don't understand why it's so hard for some of you to just answer OP's question instead of letting everyone know how much of a billy badass you were growing up. Dude is asking for games geared towards kids not what you grew up playing on 80's technology.

Why are you so upset over a discussion on a discussion board? The OP was given suggestions and my post was a suggestion in the sense that if they played games on the older systems, then it stands to reason their kids might enjoy the same games. Nobody was boasting so I don't understand why you got so offended over nothing. You gotta chill out, this is just a thread about video games.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
No one is upset or offended not sure where you got that from.

Dude is asking for children's games on Switch and a handful of you are talking about how you grew up playing Ghosts n Goblins and Ninja Gaiden on NES.

So did I but it's not relevant to what the OP is asking.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
instead of letting everyone know how much of a billy badass you were growing up.
^^ That right there is hostility.

Dude is asking for children's games on Switch and a handful of you are talking about how you grew up playing Ghosts n Goblins and Ninja Gaiden on NES.
Nobody mentioned those games. We mentioned Super Mario and Mario Kart which are both available on the Switch.

Nor is this conversation. If you want to continue to get upset, we can continue this via PM if you really insist.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Who said Ghosts and Goblins and Ninja Gaiden? lol

Just trying to say kids don't need games to hold their hands. We're not talking three or four year olds. Primary concern should be is the game fun and it isn't something equivalent to a movie R-rating like GTA V or hentai stuff like Gal-Gun 2 or Senran Kagura.