Recommendations for Steel shank work boots

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i'm going to be visiting a new site for work. and when i say new, i mean the building's not even completed yet. i'm going to be there often (3+ days/week) for a few months to oversee portions of the project.

i'm thinking i should get work boots.

1) steel toe
2) electrical hazard
3) waterproof (even in a hurricane, i'm going to be there w/a raincoat :( )
4) steel plated bottom (incase of loose nails lying around)
5) Comfortable

Recommendations of a such a shoe?

THX!

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have never heard of "steel shanked" workboots... lol

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Eli
I have never heard of "steel shanked" workboots... lol
There is a steel plate somewhere between the midsole and outsole.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I thought steel shank was more for support when working on ladders.

I don't know if they have steel shanks, but I really like my Timberland steel toes.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Do your feet a favor and buy quality made work boots, not some cheapo Made in China crap...

If you don't NEED them, don't buy steel toes. Just "visiting" a jobsite shouldn't necessitate wearing them, unless it's a jobsite requirement.
I've worn & worked in these for over 30 years:

http://www.whitesboots.com/sto...oots%7CWhite%27s+Boots

Although on occasion, I HAVE worn Red Wings to get me by when I sent my Whites in for rebuilding. Wearing Red Wings after wearing a well made boot feels like putting on sneakers...

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
I have never been to a jobsite that didn't require a hard hat and steel toes. Thats just the minimum, most others also require a saftey vest and saftey glasses. But then again, these are mostly big contractors, so they have to cover their asses.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: legoman666
I have never been to a jobsite that didn't require a hard hat and steel toes. Thats just the minimum, most others also require a saftey vest and saftey glasses. But then again, these are mostly big contractors, so they have to cover their asses.

Legoman, I worked construction for over 30 years, and for some of the largest contractors in the world. VERY FEW required steel-toe boots, in part because if they REQUIRE them, they have to supply them, (or reimburse you for the cost) in many states, or as covered by union rules.
Myself, I don't like them, and unless I am forced to, I won't wear them.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: BoomerD

Legoman, I worked construction for over 30 years, and for some of the largest contractors in the world. VERY FEW required steel-toe boots, in part because if they REQUIRE them, they have to supply them, (or reimburse you for the cost) in many states, or as covered by union rules.

Can't they differentiate between management and workers?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Sukhoi

The union certainly doesn't regulate management, but state law still does...

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: Sukhoi

The union certainly doesn't regulate management, but state law still does...

No, I mean can't steel toed shoes be mandatory for management but optional for union workers on the same site?

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Work boots need to pass the stress test. Go to the store and drop a medium sized alternator on your foot. If foot survives and there is no dent that won't buff right out, you're golden. ;)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: SeaSerpent
Originally posted by: dartworth
I wear Red Wings everyday...10-14hrs/day

Yep, me to. Spendy boots but worth every penny.

where to try on red wings? i'm not about to buy it online w/o trying it out first.

btw-
if's it waterproof, does that mean water vapor in the boot (ie sweat from my feet) aint going to escape?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Originally posted by: walrus
Wolverine Boots

:thumbsup: I really like their Fusion line - some of the most comfortable workboots evar! Course I also worked for them for 4 years :)

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Originally posted by: JEDI
Originally posted by: SeaSerpent
Originally posted by: dartworth
I wear Red Wings everyday...10-14hrs/day

Yep, me to. Spendy boots but worth every penny.

where to try on red wings? i'm not about to buy it online w/o trying it out first.

btw-
if's it waterproof, does that mean water vapor in the boot (ie sweat from my feet) aint going to escape?

It depends on what they use as 'water proof'. If you are actually going for true water proofness then you need to look for a boot with a Gore-tex lining. You can stand in a puddle all day and not get wet (unless the water gets over the top of the boot). Alot of other boots will have water proofing treatments that allow themselves to be marketed as 'waterproof' but aren't. They don't tend to breathe as well (but that depends on the treatment type) Don't get me wrong - you;ll be able to get them pretty wet and not feel a thing but eventually the water can soak through. As for breath ability - the sweat will mostly evaporate through. There is a difference in how well but many people say they can't tell when using a Gore-tex lining

VWhed

Jan 23, 2004
another fan of Red Wings here, I wear mine at least 10 hrs/day. I think they have a dealer locator on their website, but yes, definitely try them on before you buy them. I also recommend getting them just a little on the snug side as they will really "break in" as you wear them.

PS: steer clear of steel-toe unless absolutely necessary

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: VWhed
another fan of Red Wings here, I wear mine at least 10 hrs/day. I think they have a dealer locator on their website, but yes, definitely try them on before you buy them. I also recommend getting them just a little on the snug side as they will really "break in" as you wear them.

PS: steer clear of steel-toe unless absolutely necessary

why dont u like steel toe?