Recommendations for PCI card to replace i810?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson
Just a quick note here: perhaps the processor on that HP is actually a P3... I helped someone buy a HP in the spring of 2000, and she got that HP P3 533 - I forgot what the model number was.

Not that it would make much of a difference, anyway...

as far as i remember, no p3 533 ever existed... unless u had a slower chip and fsb o/c'ed it.

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
I got my MX440 pci at www.amamax.com. I would try to put it in a link, but haven't had much luck at that. Still rather new here. They are also the only company listed on pricewatch selling this card.

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
Yah, I agree, get a new motherboard. The HP might use a Micro-ATX form factor, my friend's Compaq from the same era but then again we all know how damned well proprietary these copanies can be. Well, yah, go with the 7500 or MX440 PCI cards if he/she must. Also, think about adding more RAM, most of those things only have 64 and it's usually PC66. Salaam to you all.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
If your friend is mainly interested in games one thing to take into consideration is the "no driver updates, tepid game dev support" situation for the voodoo3 as previously mentioned. From time to time games come out which flat out will not run on the voodoo cards, others may have minor issues- seldom are the situations addressed. As time passes and updates are made to Direct-x and Direct 3-D the last batch of voodoo drives becomes more obsolete.

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
EDIT: Voodoo5 is a LOT faster than Voodoo3 esp in 32bit colour, take a look how it fairs against these type of cards

LOL I would hope a voodoo 5 would be faster in 32bit - I am guessing youve never had one.

For UK based people the geforce mx440pci is not available from this country, mine is a palit which is being shipped from taiwan, the radeon pci is available from Komplett linky and mine is due monday.