Recommendations for headless LAN music jukebox app?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I currently use Foobar2000 on a Windows 7 PC, but Microsoft keeps annoying me with a playback hiccup now and then when it decides to spin up some unstoppable service or program that chews up too much CPU or file I/O. Windows 10 will only make things worse when I'd eventually need to move to it.

So I'm thinking maybe Mint Mate on an intel Pentium or i3 or possibly a Raspberry Pi for low-power fanless goodness. For the Pi I'd want to send the audio over HDMI.

I don't need anything fancy, since with Foobar I usually just manually add tracks to the main queue. (File > add tracks, browse to artist - album, select some or all tracks.)

It needs to support FLAC and MP3, and I'm thinking headless so I can control it from my Windows desktop. Either a browser UI or a Windows remote control app, to add tracks, pause, skip, etc.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
MPD is probably the way to go...

https://www.musicpd.org/

You'll have to "build" a complete solution using that as the base, but it has a vibrant community developing interfaces for it. Should be a matter of finding the stuff you want, and plugging it in.