Recommendations for a new PSU?

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Why wouldn't you just build the pc yourself? What kind of PSU is in it now? More than likely, it would be able to handle the 5770 already.

acctingman

Oct 6, 2010
The HP comes with a 300W PSU.

The reason I'm not building one is $

To build one I'm looking at $700 w/W7

This HP is $335 w/W7

Is there any way I can find out if a regular PSU would work with this HP?

I mean, the case looks to be the same size I was looking at when I thought I'd build...

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
$335 for all that with win7? Wow, seems like a decent deal. Either i5 cpu there is at least $150ish by itself. Anyways, any good quality 400+ watt PSU would work.

I tend to not purchase any PSU under 500 watts just to be safe, you dont really want to be running a PSU at near its full load.

Last edited:

acctingman

Oct 6, 2010
Looking at the specs again and doing more research, it looks like this MB, Carmel, can only take the 65w Intel i5/7 processors, not the 95w i5/7, so my UG potential is very limited....which has me thinking....build a PC which I know will have solid UG potential

Also, I've read that most HP's use a proprietary MB and some boards might not fit.

With these two possible limitations, I'm thinking for an extra $250 I'll build my own PC.

It will have way more potential for UG'ing than any HP I can buy.

Thanks again....looks like I'm building a PC now

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Looking at the specs again and doing more research, it looks like this MB, Carmel, can only take the 65w Intel i5/7 processors, not the 95w i5/7, so my UG potential is very limited....which has me thinking....build a PC which I know will have solid UG potential

Also, I've read that most HP's use a proprietary MB and some boards might not fit.

With these two possible limitations, I'm thinking for an extra $250 I'll build my own PC.

It will have way more potential for UG'ing than any HP I can buy.

Thanks again....looks like I'm building a PC now

Good call. You'll spend more money, but be much happier in the long run.