Recommendations for a good, recent, 4X strategy game?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Is Endless Legend the sequel to Endless Space or are the names unrelated?

I think its from the same devs.

Never tried Endless Space but when I bought Legend Steam gave a 50% off for Spaxce which I bought. Gonna give it a try after Legend.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Is Endless Legend the sequel to Endless Space or are the names unrelated?

Same universe, but EL is fantasy and only takes place on one planet. People are saying that it merges Civilization and Endless Space, which I do kind of get. When I play it, I find myself wishing I was playing one of those two instead of Endless Legend.

I don't want to give up on it though.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
That was my point. The other guy seemed to be claiming 4x/TBS/RTS are all separate

No i was responding to the other guy that RTS games can also be 4x if they have the required mechanics. Take some of the Paradox games for example.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
That was my point. The other guy seemed to be claiming 4x/TBS/RTS are all separate :|

I actually said "others" say it matters, I don't think it does. I will bold the relevant part for you.

Some put Sins of a Solar Empire into the 4X category, I myself do even though it is real time strategy.

I grew up on 4X titles like MoO, Civ 1, Master of Magic, Warlords, Space Empires etc & I greatly enjoyed SoaSE and many other RT-4X titles.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I still play StarDrive from time to time. It came out end of 2012/early 2013, but the early reviews all panned it. They fixed a lot of those early issues, and I really do enjoy the ability to truly build the ships/stations.

They are working on a sequel which I think might come out next year.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I still play StarDrive from time to time. It came out end of 2012/early 2013, but the early reviews all panned it. They fixed a lot of those early issues, and I really do enjoy the ability to truly build the ships/stations.

They are working on a sequel which I think might come out next year.

I was into it for a bit and liked it despite its flaws. I keep meaning to go back to it, but don't.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Sins of a Solar Empire and Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes are superb games. Made by Stardock, they each successfully paint a convincingly alive game world (if a little bland graphic-wise). I enjoy coming back to them from time to time.

Endless Space is worth a mention too. Beautiful graphics and soundtrack, if rather sterile gameplay. Stardrive is an interesting concept too, one I haven't honestly been good at since I can't seem able to build a fleet that can survive any battles.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Sins of a Solar Empire and Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes are superb games. Made by Stardock, they each successfully paint a convincingly alive game world (if a little bland graphic-wise). I enjoy coming back to them from time to time.

SOASE was actually made by Irondock Studios. Stardock was the publisher.

Anyways I have Elemental and although the game is very unpolished I see some mechanics with real potential here. And I am still using the unpatched version because I need to find my game code. Otherwise I am not sure I want to use a constrained character development tree that Legendary Heroes now uses in favor of the old nonclass version.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Anyways I have Elemental and although the game is very unpolished I see some mechanics with real potential here.
Elemental as in the first release back in 2010? If so, it's quite far apart from the more recent Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes (2013) in terms of refinement and implementation.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Elemental as in the first release back in 2010? If so, it's quite far apart from the more recent Fallen Enchantress release in terms of refinement and implementation.

Yes. Is this a euphemism for different mechanics?

Last edited:

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008

I love Sins, both 1 and 2, but for some reason they crashed for me randomly while playing. Over different computers and OSes, all Windows(xp, 7 and 8). I once started to save more often, but it really sucks to crash and have to redo your last 15 turns.

Any solution to the crashes? I'd fire up 2 this very moment if I knew it wouldn't crash.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I love Sins, both 1 and 2, but for some reason they crashed for me randomly while playing. Over different computers and OSes, all Windows(xp, 7 and 8). I once started to save more often, but it really sucks to crash and have to redo your last 15 turns.

Any solution to the crashes? I'd fire up 2 this very moment if I knew it wouldn't crash.

Sins... 2? Turns?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I'd just like a new grand scale railroad strategy game. Still install Rails across America every now and then.

Have you checked out Train Fever?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/304730/

I haven't purchased it, but it looks like the first train game since RR Tycoon that lets you pickup cargo. Ok Sid's Railroads did, but the scale was terrible.

Galactic Civilizations III is quite good, as is Pandora: First Contact.

Some put Sins of a Solar Empire into the 4X category, I myself do even though it is real time strategy.

Is Pandora a straight knock off of Alpha Centauri or does it take its own path?

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Have you checked out Train Fever?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/304730/

I haven't purchased it, but it looks like the first train game since RR Tycoon that lets you pickup cargo. Ok Sid's Railroads did, but the scale was terrible.

Is Pandora a straight knock off of Alpha Centauri or does it take its own path?

It's close but not a straight knock off. The combat & city management are better but the story isn't quite up there with SMAC. I particularly liked the random tech trees and the fact that the AI actually puts up a decent fight.