Recommendation, please: Chainsaws!

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Woo-hoo! I just trashed my little lightweight electric one against two inch round branch.

I want something that lasts, please. I'm not leaning either way of electric or gas. Gas still takes two-in-one oil with gas, right?

I will be using it on trees in the yard, trunks and limbs no bigger than a foot around.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Theres no such thing as two-in-one oil.
If you ask in the Home And Garden forum you will get better answers.

May 13, 2009
I have the polesaw from harbor freight. Works great for limbs that size. Ive used many saws before as I picked up the hobby of tree felling at one time. No need to buy something expensive that will see such little use.

Reactions: Bitek

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
For something that small maybe a good hand saw or a Reciprocating saw and stick a long blade in there? I use my good old Reciprocating saw for everything up to 5" and never have issue.

Reactions: FeuerFrei

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
For non-occupational use, I really like my Poulan Pro. 42cc motor, 18" bar, and it always starts. Also came with a cheap case. Been thinking about getting a stihl or husqavarna cause new toys are fun, but my poulan does everything I ask of it.

May 13, 2009
For non-occupational use, I really like my Poulan Pro. 42cc motor, 18" bar, and it always starts. Also came with a cheap case. Been thinking about getting a stihl or husqavarna cause new toys are fun, but my poulan does everything I ask of it.
I had the same saw. Mine was craftsman though. Believe it was same manufacturer same saw just a different label. It worked fine. Until I got a 22 or 24 inch (can't remember exact size) stihl farm boss. That thing was a monster.

Reactions: MaxDepth

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I had the same saw. Mine was craftsman though. Believe it was same manufacturer same saw just a different label. It worked fine. Until I got a 22 or 24 inch (can't remember exact size) stihl farm boss. That thing was a monster.
Buddy of mine has that, and it's a kick ass saw. That's probably what I'd get, or the husq equivalent if I get a better saw. I don't often need a saw, but sometimes when I do, it gets heavy use. I can manage with what I have, and that would be the responsible thing to do, but... :^D

A nice bow saw would be sufficient for the average homeowner. That's all I used for ~20 years til my yard got raped by a storm, and a bow saw would have taken forever to get things clean. A chainsaw does make firewood gathering easier, and I'm more inclined to gather it since it's easier. Also, I have a chainsaw. That's like having a truck. Friends help you use your stuff :^D

Reactions: MaxDepth

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Sure, you just need a chainsaw for normal purposes... On Friday the 13th :eek:

Jason is more of a bush knife guy, like 15" long ones

CIKO65160a.jpg

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Ego 56v battery saw. I'm not a lumberjack and the convenience of battery cannot be overstated. Cuts through everything I have thrown at it with ease. I use the saw, blower, hedge trimmer, and weed eater.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
There used to be 2 in 1 oil 50 years ago, but it was just an all around oil to use around the house on stuff. It came in a little thin can that you pulled out the red center of a small two piece nozzle like 1/8" to allow the oil to come out. I'll bet we threw out a can my 91 year old dad had when we cleaned out his house after he passed a couple years ago.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
There used to be 2 in 1 oil 50 years ago, but it was just an all around oil to use around the house on stuff. It came in a little thin can that you pulled out the red center of a small two piece nozzle like 1/8" to allow the oil to come out. I'll bet we threw out a can my 91 year old dad had when we cleaned out his house after he passed a couple years ago.
Isn't that 3 in 1? Haven't looked at the can in awhile. It comes in shitty plastic bottles now. Their one clever variant is a smallish bottle with a wand you pull from the center to more easily oil tight places. Great, right? Not quite. When the bottle heats up, say in the back of a truck, it causes the oil to expand out of the wand, and all over the floor. I lost almost a whole bottle of oil that way :bangshead:

Reactions: Meghan54

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Isn't that 3 in 1? Haven't looked at the can in awhile. It comes in shitty plastic bottles now. Their one clever variant is a smallish bottle with a wand you pull from the center to more easily oil tight places. Great, right? Not quite. When the bottle heats up, say in the back of a truck, it causes the oil to expand out of the wand, and all over the floor. I lost almost a whole bottle of oil that way :bangshead:
Well, I was a little kid or maybe all we could afford is 2 in 1. :)

Reactions: lxskllr

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
I've had a Husq. for 20+ years, I'd have gotten the Stihl if I had it to do again. I don't use it that much and it seems like every time I use it, it has to go back in the shop.

I have a small electric that I use more because it's weak but reliable.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
For something that small maybe a good hand saw or a Reciprocating saw and stick a long blade in there? I use my good old Reciprocating saw for everything up to 5" and never have issue.
That's fine if you have to make one cut, but if you have to cut down that 12" round tree then cut it into smaller pieces, no freaking thanks on the handsaw (never tried a tree with a reciprocating).

My refurbed electric was like $35 on vminnovations and it didn't have a scratch so I'm pretty sure it was brand new. It's been a workhorse as long as I don't throw too much at it.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Stihl or Echo. The Poulan Pro previously mentioned is also a decent saw, but lots of complaints about the new model(s) of its carb being set too lean and causing startup problems. Complaints about its chain wearing out very quickly and not being very aggressive to begin with.

Pay a little more up front for a Stihl or Echo and your life will be just a little more hassle free....and if you decide to sell it after a few years, both those brands will recoup more of their initial investment vs. a Poulan.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I have an Echo. I can't remember the exact size of hand, but it's in the middle of the range. 18" bar. Runs up to a 20"

Nice saw, I've cut probably 20 cords of mixed hardwoods and it's always run well.

One thing I would be wary of is getting too big of a saw as it gets heavy and tiring. Not really needed unless you are running big chains.

The harbor freight electric pole arm is cheap and useful for trimming low hanging branches.

If you are doing much cutting, I would get a couple of chains and harbor freight has a useful electric sharpener too. Having sharp chains on hand is a life saver. Oak and hick dulls chains quick.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
If you just use one for home use here and there, a Stihl will last you a really long time.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Stihl or Echo. The Poulan Pro previously mentioned is also a decent saw, but lots of complaints about the new model(s) of its carb being set too lean and causing startup problems. Complaints about its chain wearing out very quickly and not being very aggressive to begin with.
Haven't had carb issues, but it does run a little nicer on alcohol free gas, especially after sitting awhile. You're right about the chain, but that could be considered a safety feature(might be why it's like that). Seems highly resistant to kickback. Of course the downside is a slower cut.

I got my poulan cause I could walk to walmart and buy it in person. The yard rapage I previously mentioned also broke my jeep windshield, so my choices were limited. If I had time, I may have ended up with a stihl or husq, cause I like quality tools, but at 2*+ the price, I'm not sure that would have been the best decision.

Dunno... I think poulans are better than their internet reputation, but they're certainly no stihl. They're worth consideration, especially for an average suburban homeowner. If you're only cutting the occasional fallen limb on a 1ac property, a pro or prosumer saw is overkill imo. A chainsaw might be overkill anyway. Hard to beat quality hand tools. No worries about fuel, and they always start. Plus is you get a bit of exercise on top of it, and aren't pointlessly moving equipment around as in a gym.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
X2, I just bought a Craftsman version of the Poulan 50cc "20 bar saw on sale at Sears for $180. I needed to upgrade from my "15 electric after Irma sent a 70ft pine down on top of the house crushing the porch and damaging the roof. This is about as big/heavy saw as any homeowner will ever need, if OP isn't going to see anything bigger than a "10 trunk an electric can suffice just fine. Just got through cutting the root-ball from the trunk of this monster, I needed all the power to tackle this job and Poulan delivered it for a reasonable cost. Yea, Sthil or Echo are probably a tad better saw, but how often will you need that $350-450 saw?. For occasional use you simply can't beat the value of Poulan. Here's a pic of what I was doing with it today, https://i.imgur.com/3dR3GHb.jpg

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

Pay a little more up front for a Stihl or Echo and your life will be just a little more hassle free....and if you decide to sell it after a few years, both those brands will recoup more of their initial investment vs. a Poulan.
TBH I did a lot of reading up on both Stihl+Poulan since I had the misfortune of Irma blowing a 70ft pine on top of my house. The homeowner Stihl saw was on sale locally for $300 but there were many, many, complaints from recent purchasers about it being difficult to start. Ditto for the Poulan, what appears to be happening is the EPA and CARB is forcing manufacturers to get these 2-stroke engines down as low as possible emissions. The end result is all these starting difficulties, with my Poulan 50cc I've learned to just follow the manufacturer instructions except once running from cold I don't kick the throttle and let it try and idle right away. After a minute at fast idle I then can kick it down to normal and have no problems afterwards. Hot re-starts are easy, just 2 primer-bulb pushes and she cranks right up, if one if going to use it frequently a carb adjustment tool is available on Amazon for around $6. You are correct in that a Stihl or Echo will hold value much better than a Poulan but for someone not needing a Pro type saw I find the Poulan a steal at the $180 I paid plus it has a nice quality feel to it.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Whatever you buy, if you're not used to a chainsaw and even if you are, carefully read the safety instructions. Don't just skip over that part of the manual. Kickback is a real threat and I would highly, highly advise that along with the saw you get a) a chain saw helmet, one with hearing protection if you go with a gas model and b) steel toed boots to wear if you like having both feet and all your toes.

If you want to go the whole distance, also get some protective pants. These are made so that if the saw hits you the fibers clog up and stop the blade. At least I think that's how they're supposed to work IIRC. Check it out

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I've had a Husq. for 20+ years, I'd have gotten the Stihl if I had it to do again. I don't use it that much and it seems like every time I use it, it has to go back in the shop.

I have a small electric that I use more because it's weak but reliable.
Are you following proper storage procedures?, if you just store any chain-saw for months on end without draining out all the gas and running the carb dry you WILL have issues. 2-strokes are fussy as it is in relation to starting, you throw in stale, old gas at it and any saw will give you headaches. Can't hurt to change the air filter/spark plug once a season either.

Reactions: Charmonium