Recommend portable/freeware ISO creator?

7waysunday

Mar 29, 2011
I'm looking for a portable freeware app that can create ISO images from files on my filesystem, not from an existing cd or dvd.

I downloaded the portable InfraRecorder but it doesn't seem to be able to do this. Keeps giving me an error "You have no [sic] added any files to the current project. Do you want to continue, creating an empty filesystem?"

But the project window has 3.5GB of files in it, so I don't know what's wrong with it. Their site is a mess of moved pages, broken links, and their forum is down for maintenance for several days now.

Can anyone recommend an ISO creator that will do proper ISO9660+UDF, ISO Level 3, and Joliet formats?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
ImgBurn will do it for free. Here's a link to the latest version:

http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

Select "Create image file from files/folders" on the main screen:

pzD44Yg.jpg

Then select the folder icon in the middle to select a folder: (you can set the preferences to BIN, ISO, etc.)

2lwhhvi.jpg

You can also use Pismo File Mount in conjunction with ImgBurn, which is a handy piece of software that lets you open ISO files as read-only folders by simply right-clicking & selecting "Quick Mount", so you can drag & drop the files you want to transfer out of the disc image without having to burn it or mount it using a virtual CD program. Also free:

http://www.pismotechnic.com/download/pfmap-177-win.exe

Very useful when you need to move a ton of small files, as opposed to doing a ZIP file.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I gave the link to a portable version because he wanted portable. Besides, I have heard the new Imgburn comes packed with open candy or other crap so you must make sure to do a custom install.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Last time I tried to make an ISO with ImgBurn the ISO was way bigger than the sum of the file sizes, and I couldn't figure out why. mkisofs for me.