Recommend me some Amazon Prime shows to watch!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm going to be on a long flight tomorrow (and the way home) as well as on long train rides while in Europe so I'm looking for stuff to watch that is on Amazon Prime. If Netflix let you download shows I would be watching some shows on there, but unfortunately they don't.

And it has to be a show that Amazon lets you download (which isn't all of them, but I think most "free prime" shows you can download).

I currently have 1/2 of Mr. Robot season 1 left to watch (season 2 isn't on there) and I'm thinking about grabbing Boardwalk Empire S4 because I didn't see the final season of the show.

Anyone else have any other recommendations? I have seen a lot of the older shows that are on there like BB, Sopranos, Enroutage, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, and others, but if you have any recommendations I'm interested. I might download that one that is like Hard Knocks that is about the Cardinals, but I don't know I'd rather watch a show with story.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Shows I've watched and highly recommend:

The Man in the High Castle - Great alternate history series set in a post-WWII timeline where the Axis powers won, and the U.S. is occupied by Japan in the West and by Nazi Germany in the East. Based on the Philip K. Dick novel of the same name. Hard to give plot overview without spoilers, but the characters are compelling, as is the historical/pseudohistorical backdrop.

Humans - Sci-fi drama set in the UK in the near-future, when everyone has personal, lifelike robots ("synths") serving them. Story revolves around one family and the female synth they bring home, and in the process explores all the moral and philosophical issues concerning the line between machine and man.

The Comeback - Mockumentary-style comedy/drama series with Lisa Kudrow ("Phoebe", of Friends fame) starring as an upbeat, plucky former sitcom star struggling to make a comeback in a new sitcom with a much younger surrounding cast... while being followed by a reality TV crew. It's one of those shows where you enjoy seeing the main character's pride/overenthusiasm being deflated, but you also can't help but root for her to pick herself back up and succeed.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Partially unscripted comedy series where Larry David plays a fictionalized version of himself. If Seinfeld was a show about nothing, then this, too, is a show about nothing, but with less sitcom-style production (instead employing a more realistic single cam filming style) and set in Los Angeles instead of New York. Hilarious show with a lot of cameos by recognizable actors and celebrities.

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
If you like the Matrix series they're on prime but set to be removed from the catalogue at the end of the month.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Looking for TV shows more so than movies, the movie selections on prime and netflix blow and are just old shit.

Thanks for the recommendations thus far.

I've heard mixed things about The Hand of God so I think I'll pass on that for now. Was not a fan of Phoebe at all in Friends and she annoyed the hell out of me so I don't think I'd watch that show. I couldn't get into the humor in Curb Your Enthusiasm from the little I've seen of it (and I like Seinfeld).

Bosch S1, Vikings S1, and Boardwalk Empire S4 at the top of my lists so far.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I mentioned the matrix because they're about to pull it from prime. I tried watching the man in the high tower but didn't make it past the 2nd episode.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I've seen the Matrix enough that I could probably recite the first movie lol. That's the only one that I really cared to watch multiple times.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Looking for TV shows more so than movies, the movie selections on prime and netflix blow and are just old shit.

Thanks for the recommendations thus far.

I've heard mixed things about The Hand of God so I think I'll pass on that for now. Was not a fan of Phoebe at all in Friends and she annoyed the hell out of me so I don't think I'd watch that show. I couldn't get into the humor in Curb Your Enthusiasm from the little I've seen of it (and I like Seinfeld).

Bosch S1, Vikings S1, and Boardwalk Empire S4 at the top of my lists so far.

Heh, that's weird, because it's basically the same type of show. But it is also different: more of an industry thing (focuses a lot on Hollywood people and lifestyles) than on the average person, like Seinfeld. Also much of the episodes are a mix of improv and scripted jokes, unlike Seinfeld, so it's a different type of humor.

The Comeback and Judrow are nothing like Friends and that Phoebe character, so you might still like it. It's worth at least an episode or two and you get a good idea of what it's about. Not the best thing out there, but there are worse ways to kill time.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Bosch is good. I also enjoyed mad dogs (mainly because it is set in a tropical location)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Heh, that's weird, because it's basically the same type of show. But it is also different: more of an industry thing (focuses a lot on Hollywood people and lifestyles) than on the average person, like Seinfeld. Also much of the episodes are a mix of improv and scripted jokes, unlike Seinfeld, so it's a different type of humor.

The Comeback and Judrow are nothing like Friends and that Phoebe character, so you might still like it. It's worth at least an episode or two and you get a good idea of what it's about. Not the best thing out there, but there are worse ways to kill time.
Yeah I may like it, I also just kind of enjoy more story driven shows when on flights so I can "get into them" instead of watching sitcoms.

And I watched Mad Dogs. I liked it too, a lot due to the setting. I thought the story was just alright and kind of felt all over the place, and had quite some bad acting.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm nearly positive its on Amazon Prime but not certain

Ash vs Evil Dead

It is, but you have to have Starz subscription. I don't think you can download any of the content from the premium subscription packages.

But you can preview all of those for 7 days free (like Starz, Showtime, etc)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah I may like it, I also just kind of enjoy more story driven shows when on flights so I can "get into them" instead of watching sitcoms.

And I watched Mad Dogs. I liked it too, a lot due to the setting. I thought the story was just alright and kind of felt all over the place, and had quite some bad acting.

I loved Mad Dogs. Probably one of the more effective tension-driven shows I have seen in a long time. I'm just just glad I went to Belize before this, otherwise I would have a very different opinion of the country. :D

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Banshee is good, twisted and possibly too NSFW to watch with fellow passengers. Sex, violence, murder.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
I'll add some other ones not previously mentioned (Bosch is good though).

Mozart in the Jungle
is a good Prime show. The main actor won for Best Actor in a Comedy and the show was also(?) nominated for best Comedy. If you like orchestral music and comedy you'll like it. Some very good acting in it.

Transparent is another one where a Dad becomes a tranny. That show won for Best Comedy & Best Actor in its first year.

Justified and Orphan Black are also on there Prime exclusives. Justified is a very good show. You'll be rooting for Boyd Crowder and his shenanigans, even though you shouldn't. It's like a Clint Eastwood character versus all these backwood Kentucky hicks.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Why do you limit the seasons? Bosch has had two seasons. Vikings has had four.

(How long are these flights?)

You can only download like 26 episodes at a time, and I want to have some variety in case I don't like one of them. I don't even think I'll be able to download all of those that I want to, but I may also use wifi if it's strong enough to DL more stuff when I arrive.

My flight there is 7 hours but it's overnight so I hope to get some sleep. But we're taking trains all over as well, and have at least 2 7 hour rides (to/from Spain/France) then have other like 3 hour train rides. Then a 8 or so hour flight home.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Man it's pretty amusing that it's so obvious people don't even read the full OP or at least the first sentence :p

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Another vote for Man in the High Castle. Really good IMO. The Americans is another good one. I'm on season 3 now.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Justified and Orphan Black are also on there Prime exclusives.

I forgot Orphan Black is on Prime. I second the recommendation. Tatiana Maslany in particular is amazing in her roles. Also: I :wub: Helena.

Last edited: