Recommend me gaming/movie headphones similar to HD-580

sunchas3r

Oct 21, 2011
Hello people,

Untill very recently I used to own a pair of Sennheiser HD-580 Precision headphones.
But now, after almost a decade of amazing performance, they died (bless them).
Too expensive to repair and just plain worn out.
So I recently upgraded my gaming pc and simultaneously purchased a Sound Blaster Zx and a pair of Philips Fidelio X1s.
I really liked the X1s but in the end i prefer the soundstage and comfort of Sennheisers (hey, if it aint broke..).
So i am looking for a pair of cans with a similar soundstage to the 580s, preferably a Sennheiser brand, but i'm open to suggestions.
Other preferences : full-sized circumaural, comfortable for long use, wired, oval shaped cups (easier to use while i'm laying down in bed watching movies).
I don't want to buy a separate amp, the SBZx has an onboard 600 Ohm headphone amp and this was plenty powerful to drive the X1s (volume in windows was set to max 25% and in games even less).
I am not saying my headphones can't sound even better with a dedicated amp, it's just not something i want to invest in extra.

I am certainly no audiophile per se but gaming and movie sound and music have always been very important to me and i do always strive to reach a good balance between budget and quality.
Primary use would be FPS-gaming like CSGO, BF, Quake etc but i also play a lot of sci-fi and fantasy games with great cinematic soundtracks like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Dead Space, WoW etc.
Secondary use would be movie-watching through the headphone out port of my Panasonic TX-P50ST50, also lots of fantasy and sci-fi there.

My budget would be around 250-300 USD max, but it doesn't have to reach that of course.
I am currently leaning towards the HD-598 which is 162 euro via amazon.de.

Thanks on any advice/tips/tricks/rants,
appreciate all of them.

Joseph

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Sounds like you are on the right track there. I've rocked my HD-555s and always been pleased. If you are used to and like the Sennheiser sound then go for it!

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Beyerdynamic has good cans. I use the closed DT770's and they are good, but they have DT880 and DT990 which are open cans and in your price range. Also, AKG k701/Q701 and the 702 versions are very good I hear and are open.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
The HD-598 are a step below your previous HD-580, the modern sennheiser equivalent are the HD-600s which are a bit above your budget. But just know the 598s while numbered higher, are an inferior product to the 580s

I will add though that the AKG offerings in that price range will be pretty good and similar(ish) in sound to the sennhsiers. AKG 550, AKG K612 pro, AKG K701/K702/K702 65th/Q701, or AKG K712 pro.

Last edited:

sunchas3r

Oct 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies and recommendations.

I forgot to mention i prefer open headphones.
I was sort of expecting the HD-598 not to match the HD-580 because of the price difference.
But I'm afraid the HD-600 is over my budget (345 USD here in Belgium vs 223 USD for the HD-598).
So for now i'm set on the HD-598.
So i think i'll order the HD-598 on Amazon as i can try them out and send back within 30 days..

ps : i had already read that thread :)

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
was sort of expecting the HD-598 not to match the HD-580 because of the price difference.
Yeah, I was just making sure you knew that what you were getting will be a downgrade. Also take care of the 598s headband, there have been some major issues with the headband.

sunchas3r

Oct 21, 2011
roger wilco.

if the 598 doesn't pan out i'll try an AKG or Beyer for a change.
what kind of headband issues are we talking about here?
i didn't read anything about that and read several reviews..

muchas gracias amigo

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
what kind of headband issues are we talking about here?
i didn't read anything about that and read several reviews..

cracks fairly easily because it's cheap plastic, they may have fixed it but the first batch that was sent out I know there were some major complaints with the durability of the plastic.

if the 598 doesn't pan out i'll try an AKG or Beyer for a change.

Both good options, I currently use AKG K712 Pros so I am a tiny bit biased for the AKG, but I also have a pair of Beyerdynamic custom one pros so both camps offer a good selection.

pG5xjzi.jpg

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
cracks fairly easily because it's cheap plastic, they may have fixed it but the first batch that was sent out I know there were some major complaints with the durability of the plastic.

Both good options, I currently use AKG K712 Pros so I am a tiny bit biased for the AKG, but I also have a pair of Beyerdynamic custom one pros so both camps offer a good selection.

pG5xjzi.jpg

Nice Schiit!

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005

The Magni/Modi stack is some great Schiit!

Yeah that combo looks great and noticed you are using it with the K712 Pro so might have to order the combo for my K701 since the price is right. My travel headphones are also the Beyer COPs.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Yeah that combo looks great

its a great amp/DAC stack, the only problem is the limited inputs. The DAC only has USB in and RCA out. The amp only has RCA in. So if you have a simple desktop setup (a single computer with 1 pair of headphones) it is fantastic. But if you want to use multiple sources you will need a better DAC with larger selection of inputs.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
HD598 is the closest replacement in your budget, unless you can find a used HD600. The frequency response on the HD598 is not too dissimilar from the HD580 or HD600. The real main difference is higher harmonic distortion, mostly in the bass. It should sound quite similar but a bit more "low-fi" overall...nothing major, though. The HD598 is a solid headphone that does little wrong.

sunchas3r

Oct 21, 2011
Received the 598s and tested them for a day.

First thing i noticed is the build quality; definitely a notch down from the HD-580s but still OK.
Soundwise, i love them.
The sound signature for games, movies and music for me personnally is very balanced and cinematic.
Bass very clear, no distortio.
Good positional audio in CS:GO
Army of Darkness OST sounds fantastic.
Sound level in Windows still only at 20%, the onboard SBZx 600 Ohm amp is a bit overpowered for low impedance cans (these are 50 Ohm).

For the money a very good buy imo.

Cheers,
Joseph