Recommend me a 'low stress' video game..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Any simulation will do. Sim City or Roller Coaster Tycoon series to name a few.

Big Roger

Jun 16, 2008
I'd recommend Rollercoaster Tycoon 2/3, pretty fun games and you can be quite creative, too. I wouldn't recommend a driving sim but I do like Gt Legends every now n then. Something like FSX can be pretty relaxing for a flight sim. Once you get used to it and/or stick to just a casual fly around a few scenic areas. There's a nice little mission where you have to fly a little cesna over a mountain top after running out of fuel and making it to the nearest airport. It's good fun, it does get a little boring but, every now and then when you feel like taking a private jet out for a fly around it can be a good way to pass the time in a fairly relaxing manner. It might be a little taxing on a system that isn't as high end as it could be, though.

Pro Evolution Soccer is another stressless bit of enjoyment for me. It depends, though, once you get the hang of it it's great fun on the hardest skill setting, two player mode is the best or playing online but, that sometimes can be stressful getting beaten by some kid who never stops playing it.

Not sure what else I'd recommend, those three or four games are all I find myself playing. Fallout3, FarCry2, Crysis etc etc, they all just bore me after a few minutes. The same old shooting countless bullets into this or that and not really doing anything too clever.

The original Max Payne was great fun for me. Again, once it becomes second nature using your bullet time and aiming for certain areas on your enemy......It's a good bit of entertainment, more so than FEAR.

There are also games like The Lost Crown -A Ghost Hunting Story which I've had a little go on. It's fairly enjoyable as you go on your quest to find out what the hell you are doing in this weird ghost town and start looking for evidence of paranormal activity, I didn't give it all that much time but every now n then I think I would like to have gone back to it and complete it. It had some nice atmospheres at times, if a little tedious, maybe.

After that, there are games like World of Goo which I've heard to be quite good fun, a sort of lemmings game but with goo...You'll have to do your own research on that, don't know much about it. Snooker games are also quite nice to play. I'm hoping there will be a new version of World Championship Snooker coming soon, haven't really been listening out for news on it. A friend of mine loves playing that.

An overly wordy reply but, maybe it'll help..

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Imp
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Something turn-based. Maybe Civ 4? Strategy like...

Maybe something like Zoo- or Rollercoaster Tycoon?

The Sims is pretty mundane. It's like "playing" an episode of Seinfeld. (I happen to like it in small doses)

Sims = good. Civ4, or any RTS for that matter, = bad. Aside from tactical, one life, no save games, RTS games piss me off more than anything when some asshole neighbouring state/player decides to attack you out of the blue. I lost count of the times I had to recall my attacking armies in Total War to 'reciprocate'.

What? You mean to say you don't have a standing army stationed at home? Silly person!

And as far as the no savegames thing - I don't think I've EVER played an RTS that didn't have a savegame feature at least in single player mode.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
defcon is a great stress reliever, nothing like nuking 100 million people to help vent a bad day at work. There is a demo on steam.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
One of the reasons I like playing 4X games is that they are low stress and just relaxing. I always turn to one of those when I don't want any stress. (Games like Galactic Civilization or Civilization) Sins of a Solar Empire is a pretty slow paced RTS, which also is somewhat relaxing.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: abaez
World of Goo

I downloaded the demo for this - seems overpriced at $20, the demo looks like 1/3 of the game and it took about 30 minutes to beat. Also, can you change the resolution in the full version?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Viva Pinata. I bet your girlfriend will like it too.

Cute graphics, fun game. NOT GOOD for the op's requirements. I almost shat myself time and time again trying to keep the animals from eating each other. The cartoony graphics are just a cover up, the game is difficult and will stress most people out :)

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Dead Space. Sheer boredom. Trust me. Just make sure you play it at night with lights off. Put on your favourite headphone, crank up the volume (the lullaby played by the game is very quiet) and press "START GAME". Quite relaxing. Make sure you are wearing your favourite pants while playing.

Vidda

Sep 29, 2004
World of Goo, Braid, Portal, Peggle. Anything that falls in the 'casual' category. Hell, sign up for kongregate.com and play some of the extremely well-made and time-consuming flash games.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Titan Quest. Its fun but not too stressful.

I agree with that. Although it is a huge eater of time (although no more than the two 4X games I suggested.)

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
Freedom Force Versus The 3rd Reich is a pretty cool game that I would consider low stress but engaging, in a humorous kinda way. Can be had for $10 or less.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006

But it bored me to tears. I bought it last weekend on Steam when it was on sale, and quit after 30 mins or so. It was an exact copy of Diablo, which I loved, but it was just so boring.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Lego : (insert movie title here) series

pretty fun and dieing doesn't have any penalties.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Originally posted by: uli2000

But it bored me to tears. I bought it last weekend on Steam when it was on sale, and quit after 30 mins or so. It was an exact copy of Diablo, which I loved, but it was just so boring.

My younger brother and I forced ourselves to play through the entire game, and expansion, on normal difficulty. We were bored by the time we got to the second act, but I really just wanted to beat the damn thing. I could go on and give a full detailed review of why the game is monotonous and unfun, but I'm sure its been done elsewhere. I played diablo 2 for years and had tons of fun, but Titan Quest was really a chore to slog through.