Recommend me a good PDF reader.

ThatsABigOne

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Hello Anandtech!

I have a question on which is the best(lightest but capable) PDF reader?

I have several conditions:
1) I would like to stay away from Adobe products.
2) I was a regular user of Foxit PDF reader, but I believe that lately it has become a little bloated. Is it still good?

Herald85

Feb 10, 2010
Sumatra PDF has/had issues with some PDF's when printing. Ocasionally I'd get a 100KB PDF that would be sent to the printer as a 60+MB file. Has something to do with how converts the PDF to another format before it prints. PDF Exchange does not have this issue so that's what I'm using now. It's been a year since I used Sumatra so that might be fixed. I was very happy with it otherwise :)

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I still like Foxit, but yes, it has become larger. Still, it's hard to beat when viewing multiple PDFs. Adobe's reader (ironically) is just a dog now.

ThatsABigOne

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Sumatra PDF has/had issues with some PDF's when printing. Ocasionally I'd get a 100KB PDF that would be sent to the printer as a 60+MB file. Has something to do with how converts the PDF to another format before it prints. PDF Exchange does not have this issue so that's what I'm using now. It's been a year since I used Sumatra so that might be fixed. I was very happy with it otherwise :)

Thank you for the heads up, but my usage is just for viewing PDF's. I never print them.

I am totally away about Foxit's installation -- toolbars and ask.com as homepage. Foxit is very good with multiple tabs, but it is just a little overkill for a person that just samples PDFs.:D

nitrous9200

Mar 1, 2007
If you use Chrome, it's got a built in PDF viewer. I just set my default handler for pdf files to Chrome and they open up nicely - no need to install anything.

Foxit is still good but definitely heavier than it used to be.

ThatsABigOne

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
If you use Chrome, it's got a built in PDF viewer. I just set my default handler for pdf files to Chrome and they open up nicely - no need to install anything.

Foxit is still good but definitely heavier than it used to be.

I use Opera, and there is a plug in that you can download. I never bothered to. :'( There is something about having a dedicated program that makes operating the computer a little easier.

Griffinhart

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
I switched to Foxit a few years ago and have been very happy with it. It hasn't given me any reason to change again.

Oct 4, 2004
I used to use Foxit until had to fill in some PDFs (help sister with her immigration application, my tax returns etc.) that for someone reason wouldn't show up right in Foxit or other non-Adobe readers. Switched back to Adobe back then and have been using it since then.

I respect OP's desire to not use Adobe products but for others who might be wondering, Adobe Reader X is not your father's PDF viewer.

know of fence

May 28, 2009
I respect OP's desire to not use Adobe products but for others who might be wondering, Adobe Reader X is not your father's PDF viewer.

If it asks for updates every time, monkeys with the win start up and has more than one process running, then it's still mud.

Voted Sumatra PDF, only for view and print, but possibly the lightest of them all.

ThatsABigOne

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I used to use Foxit until had to fill in some PDFs (help sister with her immigration application, my tax returns etc.) that for someone reason wouldn't show up right in Foxit or other non-Adobe readers. Switched back to Adobe back then and have been using it since then.

I appreciate your input. The never endless updates from Adobe are a turn off. I am glad that you are having a good time using Adobe X. :)