Recommend good android texting app?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Unfortunately having the same issue with this OS with group texting on the default app. It sends the texts individually instead of staying in the group. Installed QKSMS which seems to be the only 3rd party app available in the Fdroid store that can properly do it, the issue with that app is I kept re-receiving old texts at random, or some texts would not show up at all until later. Hopefully it won't be as glitchy but time will tell.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well that new OS install didn't fix it. Just started getting old texts back again. FFS.

So it is an issue with the app (QKSMS) itself, but I can't find any other app that supports group texting.

I might just say fuck it and go back to stock android but I just hate all the spying they do. I hate when my own technology is being used against me.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This is a custom rom, no Google Messages, and the default text app does not support group texting.

I did switch to using Signal as SMS app and it seems to do it less in Signal, in fact it's been several weeks since the last time it did it... though it's still early to tell. It just so happens we have not texted that much in that group in the past few weeks.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Have you tried Textra? I used to use it a lot when I would root and install custom roms. Worked well and it's all I used at one point. I just use the Google messages now since I'm on a pixel phone.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Could not seem to find a way to get it installed. It's a pay for app so think you need google play.

The issue seems to have gone away though... so starting to wonder if it was some weird bug at the OS level that may have been fixed in a patch. Still kind of soon to call it though but it has not happened for at least a week or two now. But I also been texting less in general since I've been seeing family in person more so it could be there's just less texts in general for them to come back. But sometimes I would get month old conversations pop up again too so who knows. It's a really weird issue.