Recommend firmware for Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Engineer, Toastman has recommended a version of Tomato at the thread I started at Linksys.org forum, Buffalo WHR-HP-54G FW version recommendation. He said:

I had no idea where to get that, did a bunch of searching and found a file, have no idea if it's appropriate for my router, will work on it or if there's a better one out there. The file I downloaded is:

WRT54GL-1.28.7633.3.rar

One thing I would like to know before flashing Tomato is if there's a reasonably easy way to flash back to Buffalo firmware should I want to. I believe that flashing back to Buffalo is a fairly straightforward process from the dd-wrt I have now (see earlier in the thread the instructions by redhawk in post #9).

http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html

Expand the ND (MIPSR1.... ) folder out and pick the Kernel 24 version. There will be a folder/file labeled with the 7633.3 in there.

Edit: Looks like 4shared is some sort of premium site....I'll look for somewhere else...

Edit #2: http://www.mediafire.com/?88t1vzzcgrphx#v13m6sc61qucd

Expand the MIPSR1 K2.4 folder out and it is under the STD folder.

tomato-ND-1.28.7633.3-Toastman-IPT-ND-Std.trx

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html

Expand the ND (MIPSR1.... ) folder out and pick the Kernel 24 version. There will be a folder/file labeled with the 7633.3 in there.

Edit: Looks like 4shared is some sort of premium site....I'll look for somewhere else...

Edit #2: http://www.mediafire.com/?88t1vzzcgrphx#v13m6sc61qucd

Expand the MIPSR1 K2.4 folder out and it is under the STD folder.

tomato-ND-1.28.7633.3-Toastman-IPT-ND-Std.trx
Actually, I downloaded it from 4Shared. They have a premium service, but (with the free registration) if you are willing to wait 20 seconds after clicking the download button, it starts the download (and it's fast enough, the file is less than 4MB). I registered at 4shared some time ago.

My question at this point is if it's reasonably easy to revert to dd-wrt or Buffalo after I flash to Tomato. I believe, based on Redhawk's instructions earlier in this thread, that reverting to Buffalo from dd-wrt is pretty easy. I'd hope to be able to revert from Tomato without too much trouble. Do you know?

I started reading a lot of stuff online (wikipedia, etc.) about networking. The plethora of acronyms and references, the shear complexity made my head spin. I started at the page about Tomato and its feature set. I guess I'll never understand that stuff unless I get a really good book or maybe take some courses, starting with an introductory course.

BTW, I read in a wiki yesterday that Tomato won't flash a .trx file, and I'd have to make the extension .bin.

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Actually, I downloaded it from 4Shared. They have a premium service, but (with the free registration) if you are willing to wait 20 seconds after clicking the download button, it starts the download (and it's fast enough, the file is less than 4MB). I registered at 4shared some time ago.

My question at this point is if it's reasonably easy to revert to dd-wrt or Buffalo after I flash to Tomato. I believe, based on Redhawk's instructions earlier in this thread, that reverting to Buffalo from dd-wrt is pretty easy. I'd hope to be able to revert from Tomato without too much trouble. Do you know?

I started reading a lot of stuff online (wikipedia, etc.) about networking. The plethora of acronyms and references, the shear complexity made my head spin. I started at the page about Tomato and its feature set. I guess I'll never understand that stuff unless I get a really good book or maybe take some courses, starting with an introductory course.

BTW, I read in a wiki yesterday that Tomato won't flash a .trx file, and I'd have to make the extension .bin.

As for the .bin file, I think I pointed that out in your other thread.

As for going to DD-WRT from Tomato, it should be no issue to flash from the web admin page under upgrades (and visa versa). Don't have an answer about the Buffalo stock firmware though.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
As for the .bin file, I think I pointed that out in your other thread.

As for going to DD-WRT from Tomato, it should be no issue to flash from the web admin page under upgrades (and visa versa). Don't have an answer about the Buffalo stock firmware though.
As long as I can flash back to some version of dd-wrt, I'm cool with trying the Tomato and see how things go.

You did mention that in your opinion I might have to change the extension to .bin, but I believe you suggested I try .trx, however the wiki I read yesterday removed all doubt. Anyway, thanks for your help, I plan to flash today, what the hay! There's no live webex streaming I know about I can avail myself of until Monday, however, I'm going to give it a shot now to flash Tomato. Hope I don't blow it. I think I have to clear nvram afterwards, will go back to the wiki for flashing instructions, I found a set that was for dd-wrt ---> Tomato, and in terms that are easy for noobs, and I can't claim not to be one!

PS I just found a page in the dd-wrt forums :

Flashing from Tomato to DD-WRT

Actually I was looking for the opposite, but I'm bookmarking that page just in case.

PPS I believe I found the page I saw yesterday:

Tomato Firmware/Installation and Configuration

... where it says:

Installing on a Buffalo WHR-G54S/WHR-HP-G54

Migrating from DD-WRT Firmware via Windows

You can use the DD-WRT web interface to flash to the Tomato firmware.
First, obtain the password for the router: In the web interface, go to Administration -> Commands. Type "nvram get http_passwd" into the text box and click "Run Commands". When the page reloads, it will show the password below. Make note of this password for later use.
Alternatively, you can obtain the password via telnet. Assuming your router can be found at 192.168.1.1, you'd type "telnet 192.168.1.1" at a command prompt to login to the router. Once logged in, type "nvram get http_passwd" and write down the result.
Download the Tomato firmware and extract it. In the "trx" subfolder, rename the file code.trx to code.bin. (DD-WRT does not recognize the .trx file extension as firmware.)
Update the firmware via the DD-WRT web interface. The Tomato firmware is now installed.
Access the Tomato web interface. Use the username "root" and the complete password provided by the "nvram get http_passwd" response above.
Browse to Administration > Configuration > Restore Default Configuration. Then select "Erase all data in NVRAM memory (thorough)" and click OK.
Please note that the instructions for flashing the firmware via the web interface will only work once you've installed DD-WRT (or perhaps another 3rd party firmware).

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Installed tomato-ND-1.28.7633.3-Toastman-IPT-ND-Std.bin. My audio dropout problems appear to be resolved. This is wonderful.