Recommend an older user a game like Doom.

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
I’m an older fellow who likes gaming but haven’t done any for many years. Can someone recommend me some I think it is called (First Person Shooting Games) similar to: Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, etc. Not looking for multi-player, not looking for a slew of controls to learn. Also will need a cheat or God mode as sometimes you just want to play and not worry about being killed.

I’m using a Windows 7 computer with an Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.60 GHz with 32.0 GB, 64 bit operating system and an Intel HD Graphics 4600 card. I’m also on a Google 2 GB Internet.

What new games would be comparable to the above games listed? If I need to upgrade my computer a bit such as a new graphics card, I can do that.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
HD 4600 isn't enough to really game on these days. A used RX 570 would be more than enough to play Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, Prey, the Bioshock series, all the modern Wolfenstein games, etc., though it's also starting to not be supported here and there in games due to only supporting an older DirectX 12 feature set, though you'd need to upgrade to Windows 10 or 11 to use DirectX 12 anyways. So if you want something with a little more staying power you might consider buying a used GTX 1660 Super or RTX 2060. For new I'd definitely be looking at RX 6650 XT since it's by far the best price to performance card in the new market and only runs ~$20 more than the also awesome but much less powerful RX 6600.

i7-4790 is pretty old but I ran an extremely similar cpu, Xeon E3-1231v3: virtually the same cpu but without integrated graphics and marketed as a low end server processor, until about 8 months ago and it still held up very well in everything I played except Elden Ring and Cyberpunk. So you might still get another couple of good years out of it since these type of games you're interested in don't tend to be too cpu heavy.

Probably need a power supply upgrade too.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER
Jul 27, 2020
I’m an older fellow who likes gaming but haven’t done any for many years.
What was the last FPS you played?

Try this: http://nolfrevival.tk/

There's also Half Life 2 (I don't recommend Half Life Source, unless you enjoy playing a game that starts out as a kind of a walking simulator). Then play Half Life Episode 1 and 2. Then Portal and Portal 2. Left for Dead 1 and 2. Then Bioshock Remastered Trilogy and Bioshock Infinite.

And don't forget to play Riddick:

This PC should allow you to play most modern games at 1080p settings: https://www.newegg.com/p/3D5-002D-00044

Alternatively, you can get one of the three cards below:

You may have to buy this PSU if you go with the discrete graphics card option: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-Axial-tech-Technology-Certification/dp/B08SBY73C2/

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
What was the last FPS you played?

Try this: http://nolfrevival.tk/

There's also Half Life 2 (I don't recommend Half Life Source, unless you enjoy playing a game that starts out as a kind of a walking simulator). Then play Half Life Episode 1 and 2. Then Portal and Portal 2. Left for Dead 1 and 2. Then Bioshock Remastered Trilogy and Bioshock Infinite.

And don't forget to play Riddick:

This PC should allow you to play most modern games at 1080p settings: https://www.newegg.com/p/3D5-002D-00044

Alternatively, you can get one of the three cards below:

You may have to buy this PSU if you go with the discrete graphics card option: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-Axial-tech-Technology-Certification/dp/B08SBY73C2/

Oh man, you cannot recommend a Half Life game without mentioning Black Mesa. An absolute must buy (and it's cheap) for fans of the original and classic FPS players of all stripes.

Jul 27, 2020
Oh man, you cannot recommend a Half Life game without mentioning Black Mesa.
That's coz I never managed to play the original Half Life. When I did try, the graphics were too crappy looking compared to Half Life 2 and the initial zero action sequence of several minutes was too boring for me to want to see what lay ahead. I've also heard good things about Black Mesa. Maybe some day... :)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
That's coz I never managed to play the original Half Life. When I did try, the graphics were too crappy looking compared to Half Life 2 and the initial zero action sequence of several minutes was too boring for me to want to see what lay ahead. I've also heard good things about Black Mesa. Maybe some day... :)

That opening sequence was somewhat revolutionary in gaming at the time. The whole game was a step ahead.

Reactions: Pohemi

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Are you looking for games that are really like DOOM? There's a recent subgenre of games known as "boomer shooters", which are modern games that intentionally look and play like an early 90s shooter. Here's a decent list of some good ones from last year: https://www.pcgamer.com/boomer-shoo...-top-picks-for-retro-fps-action-on-the-cheap/ Or there are other ones like Dusk out there.

If you want to see how the genre has evolved over time, I'd recommend you start with the older classics and work forward. It lets you learn the newer mechanics as you go, and the older games are more likely to run on your integrated graphics!

• Start with Half Life (1998)- it's built using the same game engine as Quake, so it pretty much picks up where you stopped playing games. It does a lot more "story telling" than Quake did, with human characters, voice acting, plot twists etc.
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein (2001) is a fun romp, blasting Nazis and undead monsters.
  • Try the original Call of Duty (2003). The modern games are not really my thing, but the original is a great game telling a realistic story in WW2, across both the Western and Eastern fronts.
  • Doom 3 (2004) is a lot more of a horror game and less of an action game than Doom 1 & 2, but a fairly defining game.
  • Half Life 2 (2004) is an all time classic. Great action, great story telling, still good looking graphics today. If you play one game from this list, play this.
Obviously there's a lot of great games to play since 2004, but that's where I'd start.

Jul 27, 2020
That opening sequence was somewhat revolutionary in gaming at the time. The whole game was a step ahead.
That's the thing. I missed out on that coz I was going through a bad patch in my life in those years. Didn't even have a PC at the time. When I got one, Half Life 2 was all the rage.

Reactions: sandorski

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I've really enjoyed the Dishonored series. It's a bit older and might work with your hardware. The action is slower than Doom or Wolf but there is a lot to look at and things to figure out. I'm not aware of a god mode but I didn't look either.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
You definitely need a vid card.

Painkiller, the Serious Sam series, Doom 2016 and Eternal, and Killing Floor 2 are all good.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would recommend going back to classic Doom, played on GZDoom. I would recommend the Exterminiation day map pack, played with either Brutal Doom or Project Brutality. Next, you can try the Dragon Sector alpha, best played with Project Brutality.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Listing games on Steam that fall into the 'DOOM Clone / DOOM Style / Early-to-Mid 90s FPS' category:

(Alphabetically listed, they just happen to be the ones I own myself but there's more of course)

- Amid Evil
- Blood: Fresh Supply
- Cultic
- Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition (* or the 20th Anniversary World Tour version, because I'm not 100% sure if the Megaton Edition still exists on Steam to purchase; it might have been removed)
- Dusk
- Ion Fury
- Project Warlock
- Serious Sam Classics: Revolution (a pack of the two original games + additional content coming from a team of fans and helped by the official developers)
- Shadow Warrior Classic Redux

Other FPS games I would recommend but would require a decent graphics card but can still be played on what would be considered toasters today:

- BioShock / BioShock Remastered (either the original game, which would run on older hardware; or the original game 'Remastered' which would require a little extra hardware oomph to run)
- Bulletstorm
- DOOM 64
- Half-Life / Black Mesa (either the original Half-Life, can easily be run on a lot of older hardware; or the 'remake', named Black Mesa; I'd actually recommend Black Mesa)
- Half-Life 2 (with Episode One and Episode Two expansions)
- Hard Reset
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Painkiller: Gold Edition
- RAGE
- Red Faction
- Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
- Serious Sam 3: BFE
- Shadow Warrior (* this one is the 2013 remake / re-imagining of the original)
- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (*note: for some reason this one on Steam is simply named 'Turok', but it's Dinosaur Hunter)
- Wolfenstein: The New Order

And more...

In this list, when it comes to "DOOM Clones / styled" games I'd go with Cultic and Ion Fury for a start.

Hope it helps!

Jul 27, 2020
You can also try the new System Shock remake demo on gog.com

Despite using ultra graphics settings, it looks like a DOS game and runs fine on my iGPU. And it's hard!

I died on the easiest setting coz my health ran out. WTH???