Recommend a strong locker lock?

Turnpike

Oct 30, 2003
At my local gym there are alot of thefts in the locker rooms. The general story goes: you walk into your gym listening to your ipod, people see you walking into the gym with your ipod, certain persons then break your masterlock and take your wallet and ipod while you work out. This has happened to a couple friends of mine. There are signs posted all over the locker rooms to keep an eye out for people, the gym even put alarms in some lockers to deter people. But theft is still high.

So can anyone recommend a substantial padlock for my locker? I'd much prefer a combo one, but I need something thats relatively unbreakable since standard masterlocks are a small hurdle for these people. I don't personally have an ipod but I do go after work dressed up nice so I definately look like a good target for leaving cash or a phone in my locker.

ni4ni

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2004
How are they getting past the locks?

Bolt cutters or are they picking them?

narutofan36

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2006
yeah master locks are the best. be sure not to get those cheapo locks that look like masters but dont have their logo. u can pop one of those with just one kick

imported_Tick

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
How are the locks at the gym being broken into? This affects lock choice, as it changes what you need to harden against.

imported_Tick

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Originally posted by: F22 Raptor
Originally posted by: Cawchy87
http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/app_search.pl?sub_cat_id=D2050

I used this one at school last year and so did just about everyone else that didnt' want their locker broken into. No one that I know of using this lock got it broken into.

:thumbsup: Looks good.

BTW doesn't the gym have video of people coming in and out? Shouldn't be pretty hard to spot them.

Yeah, survailence FTL?

Also, 3/8 shackles are better, and definitly get Cromoly shackles if they are using bolt cutters.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'd consider going for a lock with a key & wearing said key around your neck while working out ... if you want the toughest thing going, grab an American lock company model with the cylinder-type key (you see them on vending machines) ... assuming you can find one with a shank small enough to fit your locker, it'll be easier to rip the locker door off then to break the lock.

Check out the site for more info:

http://www.americanlock.com/

Or one of these should do the trick:

http://www.sglocks.com/prod_padlocks_826.php

imported_Tick

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Captante
I'd consider going for a lock with a key & wearing said key around your neck while working out ... if you want the toughest thing going, grab an American lock company model with the cylinder-type key (you see them on vending machines) ... assuming you can find one with a shank small enough to fit your locker, it'll be easier to rip the locker door off then to break the lock.

Those can still be picked thought, it just requires a couple of specialty tools. Also, they can still be bumped by someone with a key blank. However, they would be brute force proof. The best thing is a hardened lock with a combo and no key backup, can't be manipulated open, can't be cut open, and brute forcing the combo takes a long time. However, it is still vulnerable to wear detection and cracking by feel, but those are specialized techniques that are hard to learn.

Turnpike

Oct 30, 2003
There is no video survailence in the locker room itself (at least I hope not).

And I do believe bolt cutters have been used by the theives.

imported_Tick

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Turnpike

But is their survalence going into and out? Because these people should have unusual patterns of behavior, and it should be obvious.

Asside from that, they are using bolt cutters, and are NOT picking? If thats the case, get a cylinder-key lock, these tend to be the most hardened.

imported_Tick

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
Originally posted by: mugs
1. Don't leave an iPod in your locker?
2. Those fat round locks that they sell at storage places are pretty tough. There's not enough room to cut the loop part with bolt cutters

Edit: like so: http://www.xpressboxes.com/catalog/images.php?id=t_81_180

That looks very neat. Definitely doesn't leave any room for getting a bolt cutter in there if that's what they are doing.

These can be clipped at the corners, splitting the casing, then cut at the now exposed bolt.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Perhaps one of these then? :D

http://www.sglocks.com/prod_padlocks_833.php

Seriously though ... any padlock can be picked and/or broken open, what the OP needs to go for is making it more trouble then its worth... IME combination locks arn't as tough as key-operated padlocks & plus you still need to worry about somone looking over your shoulder when you open them & snagging the combo.

imported_Tick

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Captante

Perhaps one of these then? :D

http://www.sglocks.com/prod_padlocks_833.php

Seriously though ... any padlock can be picked and/or broken open, what the OP needs to go for is making it more trouble then its worth... IME combination locks arn't as tough as key-operated padlocks & plus you still need to worry about somone looking over your shoulder when you open them & snagging the combo.

If their main tactic is bolt cutters, he needs to get a hardened lock, with a hardened Cromoly shackle, with a hardened shackle shroud. It won't be impervious, but it will be close. Edit: The lock you pointed him to is good because it prevents wedging. Wedging is the fastest way to open almost any lock, it's very efficient and usually works. You need a lock specifically designed to prevent it, because most locks have almost zero resistance.

Turnpike

Oct 30, 2003
They tape people coming in and out of the gym but this is an inner city gym that is fairly busy with a very young and apathetic working staff. From what I know all the lockers broken into where those basic master combo padlocks, so no lock picking involved as far I know. The theives are most likely teens or young adults and since the locker rooms are fairly busy with people coming in from 2 entries (from the lobby and the pool)so I imagine that they don't have alot of time to act.

Turnpike

Oct 30, 2003
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Don't put expensive sh!t in your locker FTW!

What do I win?

It's unavoidable. I go after work and must put my wallet/phone/pda somewhere.