Recommend a portable vacuum

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Or recommend I don't get one if that's the better idea. I have a pretty big shopvac (not the biggest but big enough, and it has to be lugged around and plugged into AC). I have a couple of much smaller shopvac type things I picked up cheap at Sears some years ago. I like them, have one upstairs the other downstairs, but again, lugging and plugging.

I have a super cheap portable I never use. I think I can plug it into the lighter in my car. It's just a tiny thing, pretty useless for around the house.

I'm think there must be a real cool portable that has power, runs on lithium rechargeables either built in or swappable (I just bought a 1/2 dozen 2600mah 18650 protected batteries, still in packaging, my Xtar VC4 charger should arrive tomorrow).

I don't know anything about what's out there, what might be obtainable at bargain prices today, Black Friday. What's a likely happy medium bang for the buck around the house (and car) portable vacuum? TIA for ideas, suggestions, etc. Uh, BTW, I'm going to Costco in a couple hours.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The Dyson V8 Cyclone versions, or whatever they are called, are probably the most popular, most recommended, and ime, really the best performers for cordless vacuums that really work.

They are great. But also horribly expensive. Typically, you could find them on BF sales or other sales throughout the year. Not sure if that is the case right now.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Not sure what your budget is but last year we purchased a Tineco A11 Hero and so far it has held up really well. It has decent suction for a cordless vac and if you use the two lowest power settings the battery life is good to. It also comes with a decent amount of attachments to.

It can be had for just under $200 from Amazon which is a pretty good price but I probably wouldn't pay more than that for it. It's good but not great.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Dyson V8 Cyclone versions, or whatever they are called, are probably the most popular, most recommended, and ime, really the best performers for cordless vacuums that really work.

They are great. But also horribly expensive. Typically, you could find them on BF sales or other sales throughout the year. Not sure if that is the case right now.
Wirecutter recommends this Black and Decker, but I've never had good luck with any of their stuff. The Versapak NiCd and NiMH stuff was great except that the batteries were high drain and super expensive to replace. I have gone to lithium since. Plus B&D stuff isn't very well made in general.

People commenting on that portable B&D vacuum are saying your SOL when the battery goes bad. No replacement and digging in there and trying to jury rig it appears to be a nightmare at best. God BF deal on it at Amazon, but I'm not biting.

I might just stick with what I have. A major concern for me is the battery(s). Do they last, can they be replaced without getting gouged or replaced at all (the B&D, apparently not!).

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Wirecutter recommends this Black and Decker, but I've never had good luck with any of their stuff. The Versapak NiCd and NiMH stuff was great except that the batteries were high drain and super expensive to replace. I have gone to lithium since. Plus B&D stuff isn't very well made in general.

People commenting on that portable B&D vacuum are saying your SOL when the battery goes bad. No replacement and digging in there and trying to jury rig it appears to be a nightmare at best. God BF deal on it at Amazon, but I'm not biting.

I believe all of B&D is owned by some Chinese conglomerate for the last 20+ years, and has really been hot garbage since that time. I don't think there is a good line of anything that they make, but I could be wrong. I do avoid anything with that name on it, though. There is some known year or whatever where you can identify the stark drop in quality where pretty much any tool made after that year can expect a 1 year life before rust takes it, and they are using that cheap metal alloy or whatever that you expect from garbage tools.