Recommend a laptop brand.

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
www.ABSPC.com or www.buyABS.com or www.buy-ABS.com (I forgot which one is which, one of them is an abs site, one of them is an Absolute Best Service site). Their Mayhem G4 is based off of an ASUS model (it IS an asus actually, with custom parts)

Oh, and ASUS makes some of the slimmest laptops around, but they're on the pricey side.

daftpunkit

Aug 18, 2005
Toshiba's got the best rating from Consumer Reports, reporting them as having the least amount of problems.

Cruise51

Mar 2, 2005
Toshiba and Apple have the least amount of problems by far. ASUS makes some good laptops aswell.

t3h l337 n3wb

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2005
Dell's $750 coupons are great ways to get huge performance out of your $$$. However, their quality isn't that good. If you want a laptop that's built like a rock, go IBM. IBM is pretty expensive though.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Personally I have had great luck with the HP and Compaq's

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: t3h l337 n3wb
Dell's $750 coupons are great ways to get huge performance out of your $$$. However, their quality isn't that good. If you want a laptop that's built like a rock, go IBM. IBM is pretty expensive though.

Not since IBM became Lenovo. Now they're mediocre.
One of the dell laptops (I think it's the inspiron) has good build quality, the other doesn't (lattitude?) and feels plasticky.

Don't go for Compaq/HP unless you're looking for value, their laptops aren't very sturdy.... and their keyboards suck.

imported_Tick

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Originally posted by: t3h l337 n3wb

How does one get a $750 coupon?

t3h l337 n3wb

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2005
Inspirons are the plasticy home user type. Lattitudes are the more businessy, sleeker, lighter ones.

Dell offers a nice coupon every couple weeks or so. Sometimes it's 40% off, sometimes it's $750 off, etc.

masshass81

Sep 4, 2004
Get a Dell. Got this when they had 40% off deal for $1150 shipped after tax & enviro fee

P-M 1.7Ghz
512mb RAM
80Gb HDD
802.11 a/b/g
CD/DL DVD R+RW
XP Pro
Multimedia Remote Control
Additional extended battery (gets 5hrs of juice in addition to 2.5 hrs on standard)
Ultrasharp 12.1" WS display
1 Yr warranty
4.2lbs!

Very nice laptop, unbeatable for the price in thin and light class, and display is beautiful!

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
IBM, Dell, Toshiba, Compaq/HP, Sony all make decent notebooks.

IBM has the best keyboards. my friend has a IBM notebook, its awesome

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
Sadly I own a dell... and I am happy

P-M 2.0ghz
2gb DDR2
40gb hd (crap)
802.11 a/b/g
cdrw/dvd reader
xp pro
9 cell battery
ultrasharp 17inch display, 1920x1200
Geforce 6800 go 256mb
1yr warranty

price/performance = amazing

dropped less than $2000 including shipping.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I picked up a 700m a few weeks ago.

P-M 1.7GHz
256MB RAM
60GB 5400RPM 16MB Cache Toshiba HDD
Intel Pro2200 802.11 b/g
CDRW/DVD Combo
Windows XP Home
Additional 8-cell extended battery (gets 5hrs of juice in addition to 2.5 hrs on standard)
Ultrasharp 12.1" WS display
2 Yr On-Site warranty

I used a $750 off coupon and my total came to $844.35 including tax and handling. :) I picked up a 1GB module from Newegg for $115 and now she's smokin' :p

BTW Asus and MSI offer some sleek gaming notebooks at an attractive price. The MSI offers one with the Turion and X700.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: The Pentium Guy
Not since IBM became Lenovo. Now they're mediocre.
One of the dell laptops (I think it's the inspiron) has good build quality, the other doesn't (lattitude?) and feels plasticky.
*sigh* Have you USED a Thinkpad? Have you seen a "Lenovo" Thinkpad? Do you know anything about what you are speaking of? :roll: The IBM design hasn't changed one iota since Lenovo bought the PC division. The mainstay models (T, R, X, and maybe G series) will all continue with the same legendary Thinkpad quality, service, and support. Lenovo IS introducing some new Thinkpad models that are more consumer oriented and those will truly show how Lenovo is going to handle the Thinkpad name, but until then nothing has changed and I don't expect it to. It is funny that I had a "Lenovo" T43 and R52, nothing seemed "mediocre" about them compared to my IBM Thinkpad T42.

EDIT And in general, it is the Inspiron line that is cheap and not well built (except the 6000 & 9300) and the Latitude business line is pretty solid; although this may not be as true with older machines.

Don't go for Compaq/HP unless you're looking for value, their laptops aren't very sturdy.... and their keyboards suck.
Who isn't looking for value? And how much have you used HP notebooks? Personally, I used two models from different generations a LOT; and have experience with a number of their other models. It is true that HP/Compaqs aren't built as well as a Dell Latitude, Thinkpad, or other high-end machine. But then again if you want that side of things, you would look at the HP business line and not the consumer line. That said, the HP/Compaq consumer line is VERY well built compared to most of its ACTUAL competitors and offers a LOT of features for the money. They aren't for everyone, but what is?

Crism

Mar 15, 2003
My work just bought an Acer Aspire 3002LCi with the 2800+ Sempron and 256MB RAM...IT BLOWS. The video card takes out 64MB of the RAM, leaving Windows XP with 192 *tears hair out*...oh...battery life?...1hr on lowest brightness and the WLAN off. My friend just bought a Compaq and it's pretty fast and the battery life is good. I also used an Inspiron 2200 yesterday that a lawyer owns...the thing got 4 HOURS OF BATTERY LIFE on the Celeron M which amazed the heck out of me. My old Sony PCG-R505GL has served me well for 2 years now and has gotten pretty beat up...its the one with the 12.1in screen and the docking station. I just upgraded the memory and hard drive so it's pretty sweet!

jack1201

Aug 18, 2005
i have a dell. At first, it is good. But after one year, its equipment start shut down one by one. And its cpu and hd become slow and slow. So u can choose DELL. Unless it is very cheap.

Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Crism
My work just bought an Acer Aspire 3002LCi with the 2800+ Sempron and 256MB RAM...IT BLOWS. The video card takes out 64MB of the RAM, leaving Windows XP with 192 *tears hair out*...oh...battery life?...1hr on lowest brightness and the WLAN off. My friend just bought a Compaq and it's pretty fast and the battery life is good. I also used an Inspiron 2200 yesterday that a lawyer owns...the thing got 4 HOURS OF BATTERY LIFE on the Celeron M which amazed the heck out of me. My old Sony PCG-R505GL has served me well for 2 years now and has gotten pretty beat up...its the one with the 12.1in screen and the docking station. I just upgraded the memory and hard drive so it's pretty sweet!

Unfortunately for mobile gamers, you'll get <3 hours of battery life on a mid-high gaming system with some CPU and an x700.. When you get a 6800 Go.. Battery life becomes non-existant without upgraded batteries or extra ones.