Recommend a good joystick/throttle for flight sims

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I'm looking for something that will give me good control and an enjoyable experience with anything from Falcon 4.0 to IL2: Sturmovik to Microsoft Flight Sim X. I played some games using my 7 year old Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick, but I don't feel like I have good control of the plane. In fact, it's an exercise in frustration.
Would you say my piloting skills need improving, or I can indeed make my experience with flight sims better by using a better joystick? Thanx.

Qutlass

Mar 15, 2006
Usually I would say CH fighter stick usb and when you can get a pro throttle and rudder pedals to upgrade in the future. But without know your budget Its hard to recommend just one. Take a look at the Saitek X52 line that was mentioned above.
Also Microsoft ffb 2 just went onsale again and its one of the better joysticks that has ever been made in terms of feel and precision. The cougar from what i've read is not that great out of the box and needs another $500 in upgrades to make it work properly.
I use the Ch stuff, but wouldn't mind having a MS FFb2 as back up.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
If you want a cheap but good, get a saitek x52 (not the pro). They can be had for about $100.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Thanx. I think I'll get the Saitek since I don't have much money.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Ebay a MS FFB2 and pick up a CH throttle. If you're playing IL2 the FFB will be invaluable (joystick increases in stiffness as air speed goes up).

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ibex333I played some games using my 7 year old Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick, but I don't feel like I have good control of the plane. In fact, it's an exercise in frustration.

The Sidewinder (I or II), unless broken, should be a top notch stick. Perhaps you are ham fisting the controls? I know if I play FPS games for a while I go back to ham fisting in flight sims. It takes some practice to return to normal control.

Try placing the joystick as close to your chest as possible on a solid surface. Also increase the center dead zone as well as decrease the sensitivity curve (less sensitive toward center, more sensitive toward the edges.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I have some old Thrustmaster flightstick and throttle. Geez, bought it so long ago I dont even remember what the model was. Its in my junk closet. I do remember that this sucker was mostly metal and weighed a bloody ton! Good stuff tho. Wonder if it still works. Way befor USB and I dont have a game controller port anymore. :(

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
where o where were you when the x52 was $50 AR? oh well. on the cheap i'd say sidewinder isn't that bad. unless you want realism.

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007
i think your joystick is ok, it's just the quality of the plane... the Flight Dynamics are just all fucked up for the default FSX planes. If you can, buy the PMDG 747 for FSX, came out not too long ago and is one of the best add-ons out there for FSX.