Question Recommend a Gigabit Switch

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
So I currently have a super cheap 8 port TP Link gigabit switch (https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-S...qid=1544715144&sr=1-7&keywords=gigabit+switch)

Thinking I should get a better quality switch but still want to keep it affordable. Is there something vastly better for maybe $40-$50, or is the TP Link just fine?

Currently using 7 connections on it:

Gigabit internet Google Wifi Primary Hub
Google Wifi #2
Google Wifi #3
Desktop #1
Desktop #2
Printer
2nd Printer

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I agree with the above posters, if it aint broke dont fix it.

That said i usually go with the metal cased Netgear Prosafe line, they have served me well, im running 2 5 ports and 2 8 ports at home, 2 of them for over a decade, no issues.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
What is wrong with the current quality of the TP-Link?

Is it Technical issue or "Social desirability bias"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_desirability_bias

:cool:

Well I just can't help thinking there must be some reason they only cost $18. When I bought it I didn't really care, I only had the 2 desktops that could even do gigabit. Now I'm wondering is it a bottleneck in network traffic.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Well I just can't help thinking there must be some reason they only cost $18. When I bought it I didn't really care, I only had the 2 desktops that could even do gigabit. Now I'm wondering is it a bottleneck in network traffic.

There are use cases that can separate 1 switch from another in the switching silicon, but not for home use. What you have will perform like any other unmanaged switch you could get. It's not your switch.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well I just can't help thinking there must be some reason they only cost $18.
Cheap unmanaged switches, are very nearly a commodity. Find a brand that you like (reliable, I like TrendNet), and just keep buying them when they're cheap. (Under $20 for 8-port gigabit.)
When I bought it I didn't really care, I only had the 2 desktops that could even do gigabit. Now I'm wondering is it a bottleneck in network traffic.
You can easily test that between two PCs on a LAN with iperf.