Recently built a computer with GTX 780..

Exona

May 27, 2014
A few months ago built a computer with the GTX 780 and a i7-4790. Been playing games just fine on a 1080p monitor. Before I built this computer I used to play games on a very old and slow laptop. It barely ran newer games at lowest setting, most games lagged no matter how much I tweaked the graphics settings.

Did I make a mistake getting a gtx 780 now that the 980 came out? I will be happy as long as I can play new games without lag (even at lowest settings). Will my gtx 780 last me four or five years?

Feb 19, 2009
If its very recent then yes, you made a mistake. We all knew Maxwell was coming soon and to spend that much on a new 780 is a waste.

If you just want to play games fine even at low settings, then sure, the 780 will last you a very long time.

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
There is always something better coming right around the corner, you just buy what you can when you can, and you did that. I see no mistakes being made, enjoy that nice gaming rig, it will do you well for a long time!

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
A few months ago built a computer with the GTX 780 and a i7-4790. Been playing games just fine on a 1080p monitor. Before I built this computer I used to play games on a very old and slow laptop. It barely ran newer games at lowest setting, most games lagged no matter how much I tweaked the graphics settings.

Did I make a mistake getting a gtx 780 now that the 980 came out? I will be happy as long as I can play new games without lag (even at lowest settings). Will my gtx 780 last me four or five years?
1080p gaming? 780 will probably last till the next next gen consoles come out. about 10 years.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
There is always something better coming right around the corner, you just buy what you can when you can, and you did that. I see no mistakes being made, enjoy that nice gaming rig, it will do you well for a long time!
actually no there is isnt. it was well known for months that we would be getting higher end maxwell cards around this time. now there is nothing coming from Nvidia for a while. so he did make a mistake getting a 780 if just building a new pc in the last few weeks but he built this months ago so no point in waiting.

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
since Nvidia released the GTX 750 Ti it was obvious that something else was coming later this year, also Kepler is early 2012 stuff, so if you thought the 780 would stay "best" for a long time it was a mistake but if you just bought a very fast card to play games, nothing wrong with that... I also had no idea the 970 would be this awesome.

sam_816

Aug 9, 2014
Well, I am riding the same boat here. In fact my boat is still docked. I am still collecting parts and yet to assemble the pc. A noob really but I think I am entitled to share my opinion too(however noobish it may be)

Assuming this is your first attempt at making a higher end pc you have not made a mistake imo.

Yes new cards are out, yes they are great(despite the fact many ppl are dissatisfied & labelling them as flops) but my point is that every new piece of sophisticated tech usually has problems( which r ironed out eventually off course) . For tech savvy geniuses (like on this forum) these problems are not much of a deal but for people like us(again assuming you are new at this) these issues can be really over whelming. I chose evga 780 classified over 290x stock n gigabyte(both were in my budget) for reliability & after sale service of evga.(as per feedbacks on forums)

Now I also understand I might not be able to handle the 780 as well but I am not afraid as there are literally hundreds of threads about almost all the 780 related problems on the web. But I don't have guts to try that with newer cards. Also, with NVIDIA's new cards out, AMD should not be far behind with their newer offerings so ppl will say wait for them. So, I'd suggest you to just chill n rock your 780. Whenever you are comfortable enough you can add another 780 to the mix. 700 series cards are being discontinued so expect quicker price fall & discounts for them.

yepp

Jul 30, 2006
If you enjoyed those few months gaming with the 780, then those months would had been missed if you waited for Maxwell. Would you had given up those few months you had with the 780 and waited for the 980? There is your answer. As for how long the 780 will last, if it is getting dated where performance is concerned the 980 won't be that far behind, the latter might last you a bit longer, maybe an extra generation depending on your preference.

Last edited:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You could have even waited for the 5820K instead of getting the 4790. It's around $300.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
You could have even waited for the 5820K instead of getting the 4790. It's around $300.
its only for single card gaming so why on earth would he want to fool with the 5820k and its more expensive platform?

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Moar cores
yeah but that means nothing for gaming as going beyond 4 cores with HT is useless for the most part. a 4790k is the fastest overall cpu for gaming and is cheaper overall and uses less power. thats what he should have gone with instead of the non k 4790.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
1080p gaming? 780 will probably last till the next next gen consoles come out. about 10 years.

There's a bigger gap between the GTX 280 and the 360/PS3 GPUs than the 780 and Xbone/PS4 era GPUs in performance but you can't even reliably run medium details at 1080p these days with a GTX 280 on multiplatformers. The 780 will be lucky to be a viable 1080p card in 4-5 years.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Exona, the short answer is NO. No mistake. Good Lord, there will always be someone critical because you "didn't" wait.

If you purchased the GTX780 last week for $500 OK maybe a mistake but "a few months ago" is relatively years in the tech world.

As for as lasting 4 or 5 years, if the quality of your gpu is good it probably will (keep fan clean etc).

You have an outstanding gaming rig. What type of monitor do you have?

Exona

May 27, 2014
I saw that the i7-4790k is faster than the i7-4790, but I've been told I should just gone for a i5. So that was another mistake I made while building my computer.

Exona, the short answer is NO. No mistake. Good Lord, there will always be someone critical because you "didn't" wait.

If you purchased the GTX780 last week for $500 OK maybe a mistake but "a few months ago" is relatively years in the tech world.

As for as lasting 4 or 5 years, if the quality of your gpu is good it probably will (keep fan clean etc).

You have an outstanding gaming rig. What type of monitor do you have?

Comforting words. You and many people here are right. Thanks for your answer, if it lasts me five years (even on lowest settings) I am happy. What's most important to me is to be able to play games with my friends, not to get highest fps :)

JohnWayne74

May 27, 2014

That is a pretty big mistake, you couldn't wait?

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013

I'm trying to figure out which of those two statements is more of an exaggeration. Actually, it's definitely the 10 years one.

You can last 5 years with a 780 OP so long as you're okay with either 30FPS or medium settings 3+ years from now.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I'm trying to figure out which of those two statements is more of an exaggeration. Actually, it's definitely the 10 years one.

You can last 5 years with a 780 OP so long as you're okay with either 30FPS or medium settings 3+ years from now.
no way the 780 will be that slow in 3 years.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I should say for the really demanding games by then. You'll be able to have 60FPS or high settings, but not both.
a 780 can run Crysis 3 on very high settings with SMAA at 1080 at almost 60 fps and is one of the most graphically demanding games. unless using MSAA or SSAA, a 780 will likely have no problems getting 60 fps in 95% of games on high settings 3 years from now at 1080.

Redcoat17

May 27, 2014
I am also in the same boat, having purchased a GTX780 6GB a couple months ago for a new build. I assume that there will be a price drop on the GTX 780? What about going SLI? Would that be better than selling the 780 for a 980 if you can find a good deal?

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
I wouldn't worry about it. Given the specs of the xbone and ps4, and the level of hardware installed on most PCs (see steam survey) I doubt that any games will come out that are unplayable in the next 4-5 years at 1080p. The difference between high and ultra shaders is usually overrated anyways.

Every year there is a new faster card and a much cheaper card that matches the old top of the line card. GPUs fall in value by 50% every 12-18 months, so when shopping for a GPU, don't spend more than you would be willing to lose half of when the next chip comes out. Look at what GTX 680s are worth now used, and what GTX 580s are worth. Those were both $500 cards too once. Look at the situation the Titan faced when the GTX 780 was released. The cycle always repetes itself.