Recent Changes in projects

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Minor changes:

1.) PrimeGrid ... Multi-threaded tasks will now be controlled via the preference page (of course modified app_config files will still do the same if you choose).

2.) World Community Grid ... New accounts no longer sign up using the username, they have finally gone to email sign-up, same as all other BOINC projects.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
NumberFields@home
The OpenCL applications for Windows/Nvidia and Linux/AMD have been updated with "minor tweaks". An application version for Windows/AMD was added; those who want to try it need to enable "Run test applications" in their project prefs.
(forum thread, apps.php)

Cards with OpenCL 1.2 support are required, or Linux + CUDA 3.0. I don't know whether PPD/Watt have changed. The Linux/CUDA application version is still the one from August.

Reactions: crashtech

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Too bad Numberfields was already chosen for an FB Sprint! But maybe the task supply could not keep up right now anyway.

emoga

May 13, 2018
Amicable Numbers now has the 10^21 app. This also means that the GPU app actually works now ;)
So, anyone wanting to upgrade their 'Amicable pairs discovered ' badges might want to start sooner than later.

Reactions: biodoc and Ken g6

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Amicable Numbers now has the 10^21 app. This also means that the GPU app actually works now ;)
So, anyone wanting to upgrade their 'Amicable pairs discovered ' badges might want to start sooner than later.
I wish somebody had mentioned this here:
You need 8.5 GB per each running GPU task.
:eek:

That's system RAM, not GPU RAM - I think.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Asteroids@home
They released a new CUDA 10.2 application, which is so far limited to Windows "x64" (AMD64/ EMT64) and Kepler, Maxwell, Pascal, Volta, Turing based graphics cards. Recent drivers are recommended.

The prior CUDA55 application remains available for computers which don't meet above criteria.

I haven't checked yet whether or not the new application is more effective than the older one.

(Asteroids@home forum thread)

Reactions: biodoc

emoga

May 13, 2018
I tried a couple Asteroid WU's on a 2080 the other day.

They took around 800 seconds to complete. (51,840 PPD).

For Reference: My 9900k took around 5,800 seconds per thread. (114,406 PPD)

Last edited:

emoga

May 13, 2018
Looks like the new version also requires a full cpu core/thread to run it? (at least according to this small sample)
2020_03_28_12_22_33_Valid_tasks_for_computer_159298.png

Reactions: TennesseeTony

emoga

May 13, 2018
New SRBase GPU app:
"GPU72 is a subproject for GPU Trial Factoring of Mersenne Prime. The project will be run on opencl for AMD and Nvidia cards on 64bit only. "
source

For those looking for a point milestone, new badge or just something new...SRBase has a lot of GPU72 workunits available atm.
Only 1 gpu per system seems to be working atm, you might have to include a <exclude_gpu> tag in the cc_config.xml.
Linux requires the Cuda toolkit 10.1
More info in the SRBase FAQ

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
It looks like the new SRBase GPU tasks have fixed credit, no matter how long they take to process. My GTX 1060 has finished a few tasks so far. The longest took 1413 seconds (23.5 minutes), the shortest took 147 seconds (2.5 minutes), with some scattered in between. All tasks were given exactly 1500 credits.

edit: Current batch of GPU tasks are all running about 50-60 minutes on my GTX 1060, and are getting 3000 credits.

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Rosetta@home

After a test at Ralph@home, Rosetta@home released "Rosetta for Portable Devices" today on these platforms:
  • Android running on ARM
  • Linux running on 64-bit ARM (AArch64)
Additionally, the Rosetta aplication (but not Rosetta Mini) was updated today for Windows x86-32 and x86-64, Linux x86-32 and x86-64, and Mac OS 10 x86-64. This is perhaps already the update which was spoken about yesterday in the Rosetta message board, an update which should make it easier for the scientists to submit new experiments, and easier for the admins to create work units.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Rosetta@home

The target CPU time per task setting was changed from defaulting to 8 hours previously, to defaulting to 16 hours from now on (source). The respective wording at the web config interface has not been updated yet to reflect this. Update: They changed it back to 8 hours default (source).

The minimum available target CPU time was increased from 1 to 2 h, and the maximum available from 24 to 36 h. The menu in the web config interface is showing these options now.

On April 2 Mod.Sense said:
There is a Rosetta-specific preference that can only be configured via the website. It is called "Target CPU run time".

Previous values:
Default 8hrs
Minimum 1 hour
Maximum 24 hrs

New values:
Default 16hrs
Minimum 2 hours
Maximum 36 hrs

Work units will now be created with a 3 day delay_bound. This means that tasks will only be issued to machines that estimate they can complete the task in less than 3 days. It also means that if the task is not returned within 3 days, it will be reissued (and BOINC Manager will abort it on your machine).

The Project Team prefers that you leave the runtime preference set to "not selected". This allows them flexibility to make changes in the future.

These longer runtimes will help the project better run the new COVID work units, and support the fantastic support for the user community.

What this means for your machine:

If you've never set a runtime preference, your work units will now target 16 hours of CPU time (which often takes 17 or 18 hours of actual time). Current actual runtime and raw CPU time can been seen in the workunit properties in the BOINC Manager.

Until BOINC Manager gets used to the new runtimes, it will mis-estimate remaining time to run. But it will learn after processing a few. It will also mean that BOINC Manager will request too much work, because it doesn't really understand how long it will take to complete.

This may result in Rosetta "taking over" your machine. Don't panic. If you can, just let things run normally and BOINC Manager will make the necessary adjustments to get back in balance with your resource share with other projects.

If you were running with a 6 day cache of work that only comes from R@h, this will now take a total of 12 days to complete. If this is the case for you, go ahead and abort a few of the tasks. Watch the due dates, many work units now will have 3 day expirations. This tends to mean that if you run R@h in a mix of other projects, that the Rosetta work units may grab "high priority". This is just the BOINC Manager working to complete the work before the due date. It will balance things out once it has a chance to see how these tasks run.

I should point out that my comments here are NOT the formal project announcement about the v4.12 release. I am making some assumptions from user reports and observation of WUs. Please post questions and comments to this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeTony

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Rosetta@home
  • Support for Linux-on-AARCH64 and the Android-on-ARM platforms was recently added via a dedicated "Rosetta for Portable Devices" application. These platforms are now also supported by the main "Rosetta" application.
    The now redundant "Rosetta for Portable Devices" will be removed from the project soon.
  • "Rosetta Mini" is scheduled for removal too, as soon as its work queue runs empty.
(source)
  • Soon, some tasks may require up to 4 GB RAM during runtime (as already mentioned in another thread).
(source)

Edit,
  • The watchdog timeout, for when to finish a task when it overruns its target CPU time, has been changed from 4 hours to 10 hours. Whether this is just a temporary measure or will stick longer term is not clear to me.
(source)

Last edited:

emoga

May 13, 2018
New Project:
Ibercivis 2
logo.png

(Link to boinc site)

Google Translated from Spanish:
The Biophym Group of the Institute of Matter Structure of the CSIC has proposed to perform simulations of the interaction of drugs used against Ebola, HIV infection, influenza or hepatitis B with the replication machinery of the genome of the SARS-Co-V virus...These operations will show if any of the molecules manages to inhibit a key protein in the multiplication of the virus called 'RNA-dependent RNA polymerase'. In that case,the drug would become an ideal candidate for testing in human clinical trials.
(Source)

Another distributed computing project working on the virus :D
CPU apps are available for both windows and linux.
Checkpoints apparently aren't a feature, yet.