Recent Changes in projects

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Gilthanis said:
I found the setting :

Navigate to worldcommunitygrid.org | Log in

Click Settings | My Profile | Scroll down to the middle of the page | Look for Display My Data:

Choose to display or hide your data
You can control whether your data is displayed or hidden. If you choose to display your data, your username and contribution statistics will be shown on our leader boards, your badges and country (if specified) will be shown in our forums and your user and device information will be included in any data export files. See our Privacy Statement for more details.
Hmm, wait a minute. Is it no longer possible to hide hosts while exposing user/team/country/credit info?

The settings page which Gilthanis refers to still contains a separate "Show hosts" switch though. :confused:

Edit,
at least this user page is not showing any hosts yet. Also, I looked up one of my hosts by hostid, and its hostbycpid at free-dc is showing its user as Anonymous. I'll see if it stays this way.

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
GPUGrid:
There's a license issue for the windows app on GPUGrid so currently it's linux only.
A Windows application is available again.
http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=4811

Contributors who picked it up early often ran into EXIT_TIME_LIMIT_EXCEEDED, which the admins should have fixed now by a higher time limit (rsc_fpops_bound) of the WUs. They also canceled (some but not all of) the faulty early WUs now.
https://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=4802&nowrap=true#50123
https://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=4802&nowrap=true#50125

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
CSG is has been down for maintenance, says my log files. I found nothing on the CSG site about it though. I didn’t look too hard for info. though.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
Interesting, I have 6 sitting waiting to upload with a 4hr hold time when I tried to update.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Cosmology@home:
Recent outage explanation
Hi all,

Over the last week we suffered a database corruption due to some disk errors. I've spent the last several days recovering the database from backups and from the corrupted files. Unfortunately, records of workunits from the last several weeks were lost, which means you will not receive credit for any of these jobs. I greatly apologize for this, and we've taken steps to make sure this doesn't happen again. The good news is that this was the only thing which could not be recovered, everything else is fine.

We're continuing to monitor things as the server comes back online, please report any problems you may find here.

Marius
11 Sep 2018, 13:40:40 UTC · Discuss
(forum thread)

Doesn't sound promising for @crashtech's and mine recently reached milestones.
Edit: Phew. We've got our 1 M and 5 M.
(team stats)

Last edited:
Reactions: crashtech

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Acoustics@home
Not actually a change, just a bit reporting on the past and current numerical experiments:
On 15 September 2018 admin/ scientist Oleg Zaikin said:
The report 'Application of BOINC-based volunteer computing for comparison of the geoacoustic inversion algorithms efficiency.' was made in Dubna at the conference GRID'2018. In this report, results obtained in Acoustics@home are discussed. The presentation is available online
http://www.acousticsathome.ru/boinc/forum_thread.php?id=57
The presentation is a quick and easy read, with just 15 slides, and only 1 of these about the theoretical background.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Cosmology@home has stopped generating new work. Once all remaining WUs are completed, they will start their previously announced transition to a new server, in order to solve ongoing server performance problems. This process may take "a couple of weeks" though.
(post from November 15)

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Primegrid will finally move to their own servers on Friday. This will involve a few hours total downtime.
(post from November 19)

And in a follow-up Michael Goetz said:
Expect the new server to be a little rough around the edges at first. There's a lot of non-essential functions we won't configure until after the move. Getting and returning tasks will work, database replication will work, and the web pages and forums will mostly work. Non-essential services such as statistics and charts will come online a bit later.

Reactions: zzuupp

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
PrimeGrid's new server is operating.
They opened two forum threads for problem reports: critical bugs, non-critical bugs

Michael Goetz said:
Known bugs:
  • Potential bug. If you have an AMD GPU that could get tasks before the server move, but can't get tasks now, please report that in this thread. Even if someone else has reported it, please report it again.
  • Some characters don't display correctly on the forums. We know about it, and it will be corrected later.
  • The charts on the server status page are missing. Those won't be set up until after the move.
  • The charts on the server status page for the PRPNet server are missing, even though the rest of them are there. This is intentional since there's no longer a separate server for PRPNet. The www.primegrid.com server now runs both BOINC and PRPNet.
Michael Goetz said:
Michael Goetz said:
[H]Skillz said:
A lot of people are showing negative points on 3rd party stats sites. Might not be a big issue and it may correct itself in the next update.
Thanks. I see what the problem is. It should be fixed soon.
This is now fixed. The 3rd party stats sites should start showing the correct statistics the next time they grab a copy of the stats.

Last edited:

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
PG site seems pretty snappy otherwise on my end, nice the "Rackspace" link is gone........I usually opened it on accident when trying to hit the top PG logo. My age might be messing with my aim..........but I am still aware of what the actual day and time is......:cool:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
PrimeGrid:
For a brief time right after the server went on, one and the same user could be its own double-checker. All affected WUs were moved back into "pending validation" state, and 3rd tasks for different double- (err, triple-) checkers were generated. Credits for the first few tasks were deducted, but will be granted again after validation (in full: twice for the original user who inadvertently was given two tasks of the same WU, and once for the triple-checker).

Source: "Server move: Non-critical bug" forum thread. Not a big deal, and not many tasks were affected in the grander picture. But I thought I mention it here as a shining example how thorough the PG admins/scientists are.

(I have found myself routinely acting as my own double-checker at some other projects, but haven't made notes at which ones.)

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I had a thought (read ; conspiracy theory) as to why with every new NVidia driver release compute times get slower. Maybe the problems with the new 2080ti's are trying to be solved by slowing them down with software till they fix the actual hardware problem. Then they can release the hoards they are holding back. Slowing down the new cards won't be noticed if the old ones are slowed down too (bench mark comparisons).

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Einstein@Home:
New GDPR compliance mechanisms are in place now. (They had been rolled out at Albert@Home a bit earlier.)
  • For new users:
    Account creation via boincmgr or other external account managers is disabled. To create a new account, the project web site must be used, and only after that can boinc clients be attached to Einstein@Home.
  • For existing users:
    At your next login at the web site, you will first be presented with a terms-of-use dialogue. Important: You must be at least 16 years old to run Einstein@Home! I believe some of us are. ;-)
  • All users:
    If you want your stats to show up at 3rd party sites like Free-DC, Boincstats, and many more (meaning, be visible to anybody who pulls Einstein's stats export), you need to go to Account -> Preferences -> Privacy and switch from "No" to "Yes" (then "save changes").
There is a transitional period until December 17, during which Einstein is still exporting personal stats (edit: in a restricted manner, i.e. no anonymous access). After that, the mentioned privacy option will take effect, with "No" being the default. (But you can go and configure it now already.)

Source: site news from November 28, updated November 29

Edit 2: AFAIK World Community Grid and Einstein@Home are the first and only projects which have implemented a per-user stats exports option by now. But more projects will likely follow.

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
LHC@home:
GDPR compliance changes like at Einstein@Home have been put into place.
  • At your next login to the LHC@home web site, you will first be presented with a requester to agree with the terms of use (code of conduct, and note on privacy protection). After agreeing, you can normally log in.
  • In the project preferences, you will find a new option "Do you consent to exporting your data to BOINC statistics aggregation Web sites?" which is off by default. You need to go to "Edit preferences", switch the option on, and click "Update preferences" to apply, if you like your personal LHC@home stats show up at 3rd party sites.
It seems 3rd party sites need to get in touch with LHC@home in order to regain access to stats dumps (whose contents then depend on the per-user option).

Last edited:

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Whoa. Einstein tasks are ridiculously short right now, 2 minutes on a 1080Ti, 3 minutes on a 1070, and still pays the same. That's 2.5 million ppd from just the 1080Ti.

Edit 1 : 40 minutes later and the tasks are back to normal. :(
Edit 2 : mixed tasks now, still some fast ones out there

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Cosmology@Home:
As announced a while ago, the project will finally replace its server today. After perhaps 24 hours for the migration, new tasks should become available again. (Work generation was disabled during the last 2½ weeks to prepare for this.)

I hope this will help the project overcome its troubles with validator reliability and database performance.