Recent Changes in projects

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[H]Coleslaw

Apr 15, 2014
Not really a change, but Source Finder is ~ half way through the remaining data they are processing. Good to know if anyone has goals still to hit.

Reactions: zzuupp

[H]Coleslaw

Apr 15, 2014
There were a lot of people that had work units they could not upload back in November ( I think ). These were resends and uncompleted work units from then. I'm hoping all is back to normal with continued work as I have yet to hit my personal goal at this project.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
SZTAKI won't be around for much longer:
April 03, 2018, 15:30 CET

SZTAKI Desktop Grid is going to close down officially on May 31. We will try to keep the server open as long as possible afterwards if needed, so all in-progress work units can be finished. Next, the project home page will be replaced by a static site containing the description and results for the applications of the project, and will be updated when we get new results from the scientists. We would like to thank you for your support and dedication for SZDG throughout the years!
http://szdg.lpds.sztaki.hu/szdg/

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Something tells me they won't make the 2M credit minimum in Formula BOINC. :(

Reactions: zzuupp

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Some older and newer news about Collatz Conjecture:
https://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/ said:
Project Down Until...
It seems a few people have come up with a way to game the system. Until I figure out what damage they have done and how many thousands of work units need to be re-issued, the daemons are shut down. You should still be able to return any completed work units and they will eventually be validated and credit given if valid, but no new work units will be sent until new applications and server daemons have been developed.
2 Apr 2018, 1:12:48 UTC

https://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/ said:
Use at your own risk
I'm testing the validator, work generator, assimilator, and applications. It may or may not work which means you may or may not get credit for your work. There is still a lot of work to do but I'm making progress.
18 Apr 2018, 4:53:08 UTC · Discuss
The site was restored incompletely at this time; at least the old forum contents aren't there. Edit: And restoration of the server and application seems to be a lot of work for the admin and the testers.

Edit 2, So far only Windows applications are up. A Linux version is still being worked on:
https://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/forum_thread.php?id=1&postid=188 said:
The delay is due to the same code returning invalid results when compiled with GCC on Linux. That exact same code works correctly using VS2017 on Windows. I removed the new Boost code changing out the 128 bit integers with GMP and/or custom bit shift functions but the results are the same. That leads me to believe it has to do with the sieve generation and/or the 64 or 128 bit emulation/optimization. I've now switched gears and am working on a universal version that works with GCC/MinGW/MinGW-w64 so except for a few platform specific definitions, the code will be exactly the same across all platforms. It will then require testing those apps against the existing and older non-sieve apps to make sure the results all still match.
27 Apr 2018, 16:30:37 UTC

The persons who did the damage were Gridcoin members, and they already did it at two or more other projects. Source: pschoefer in the shout box at https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/.

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeTony

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
World Community Grid:
26 Apr 2018 – Announcing Three Winning Climate Change Projects

After a rigorous review of dozens of applications from all over the world, we're excited to announce the research groups who will receive supercomputing power, weather data, and cloud storage from IBM to accelerate climate change science.
[...]
We're thrilled to announce the winners of these resources:
  • Impact of climate change on public health (Emory University, USA)
This project will examine the impact of climate change on temperature and air pollution at local levels, helping researchers understand the impact of a changing climate on human health.​
  • Impact of atmospheric aerosols on climate change (Far Eastern Federal University, Russia)
Atmospheric aerosols, such as dust, smoke and pollution, both absorb and reflect sunlight in the atmosphere, and represent the greatest area of uncertainty in climate science today, according to the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). This project aims to determine how super-micron particles (6 to 12 micrometers in diameter) interact with sunlight and how they contribute to atmospheric temperatures--information that will improve the accuracy of climate models.​
  • Rainfall modeling in Africa (Delft University of Technology, Netherlands)
In Africa, agriculture relies heavily on localized rainfall, which is difficult to predict. In collaboration with the Trans-African Hydro-Meteorological Observatory, which aims to develop a vast network of weather stations across Africa, researchers will simulate rainfall on the continent. Such information could help farmers be more resilient, among other weather and hydrology applications.​
[...]
It will be a while until the DC applications and work units of these projects will become available to contributors to crunch. Follow the link in the quote if you want to register for receiving an e-mail as soon as these projects go live.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Oooh! This looks exciting! Back to medical research of some sort?

TN-Grid Platform: New organism
The experiments on Vitis vinifera are almost finished, thank you all. We will soon switch to a new organism. We made some tests some time ago but we found that the outputs of the Windows and Linux applications didn't match each other. The new forthcoming Windows applications should behave correctly.

The next Monday we will distribute them and (slowly) start creating new work.

Reactions: Howdy and StefanR5R

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I just noticed this news from almost a week ago:

Leiden Classical
"This project is reaching end-of-life. Automatic work generation has been stopped. Account creation has been stopped. Before the end of 2018 the server will be taken off-line."
http://boinc.gorlaeus.net/

(Account creation had actually been disabled much longer ago, IIRC a year ago, except perhaps for friends of friends...)

IMO it's sad to see a Computational Chemistry project vanish.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
A weird case of convergent evolution:

Universe started with a new application → had large result files → server ran out of disk space.
(They fixed it a while ago, not a problem anymore.)

DENIS started with a new application → had large result files → server ran out of disk space.
(They are still working to get out of the beta stage and won't have have work for another week or so.)

TN-Grid started with a new application → had large result files → server ran out of disk space.
(They are working on it.)

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
More TN-Grid news:
The problem with the size of result files was fixed a while ago; I haven't had problems for some time now.

This week, another new experiment was added:
project scientist toma said:
New experiment: gene network expansion of human pathologically relevant genes

Posted: 6 Jun 2018, 12:04:16 UTC

The goal of this experiment is the identification of gene networks involving human genes of medical relevance for two broad families of human pathologies: motor neuron diseases (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_neuron_disease) and hematopoietic tumors (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumors_of_the_hematopoietic_and_lymphoid_tissues).
Human gene network expansion will take advantage of the comprehensive gene expression dataset provided by the FANTOM project (http://fantom.gsc.riken.jp/5/data/).
project admin valterc said:
The dataset we are using right now is very big, a floating point matrix 87554x1829, it's size on the hard disk is ~0.5Gb and contains, for many genes, different isoforms/transcripts. The computational time for an algorithm's iteration, because of its 'complexity', is longer than the previous experiments.

Any single gene expansion is packed up into 294 workunits. Any workunit you receive has a name like this: 142041_Hs_T155402-MAP1B_wu-(1 to 294), a counter, Hs, an internal T code, a mnemonic for the gene/isoform. The T code is just a shortcut for the gene coordinates, for example T155402 is chr5:71403265..71403276,+

At this moment we don't know how many experiments we will make with this dataset, that's why I didn't update the 'Science status' page with the usual counters.

In other news, suspicious activity from the pseudo-user grcpool.com is being seen at TN-Grid.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Yesterday, the plug was finally pulled at SZTAKI Desktop Grid. Contrary to their announcement from April, they continued to generate new work after May 31. And they did not wait with the server shutdown until all work in progress returned home, leaving some precious tasks stuck in the intertubes without a chance to get reported — including three tasks of mine. :rolleyes:

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yesterday, the plug was finally pulled at SZTAKI Desktop Grid. Contrary to their announcement from April, they continued to generate new work after May 31. And they did not wait with the server shutdown until all work in progress returned home, leaving some precious tasks stuck in the intertubes without a chance to get reported — including three tasks of mine. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the news :) :(