Receiver shuts itself off on loud movie scenes?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Weird coincidence. I started getting Overload messages from my receiver this week. It is a Technics stereo 100W. It would play for a few minutes and then Overload. Cycle power, repeat. The stereo has been in the same configuration for nine years so I thought it might be dying. One speaker catches the outflow from a heating duct so I cleaned the dust off that speaker's contacts and tried again with the same Overload problem. So I tried to figure out what had changed.

The problem is back, this time with no tumbler to blame. I checked all the speaker wires and haven't found any problems. I opened up the receiver case to see if there was dust blocking the heat sink or other parts and it is pretty clean in there.

There is a Radio Shack A/B selector switch for two pairs of speakers. I wonder if that might be dying? I looked on Radio Shack's site as buying a replacement would certainly be cheaper than a new receiver but they don't seem to carry the A/B switches anymore.

I almost never turn off either pair of speakers so I'm wondering if I can forego the switch and just wire the speakers together in parallel.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The problem is back, this time with no tumbler to blame. I checked all the speaker wires and haven't found any problems. I opened up the receiver case to see if there was dust blocking the heat sink or other parts and it is pretty clean in there.

There is a Radio Shack A/B selector switch for two pairs of speakers. I wonder if that might be dying? I looked on Radio Shack's site as buying a replacement would certainly be cheaper than a new receiver but they don't seem to carry the A/B switches anymore.

I almost never turn off either pair of speakers so I'm wondering if I can forego the switch and just wire the speakers together in parallel.

err, not a good idea. That is probably what is happening now, causing the over-draw.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
err, not a good idea. That is probably what is happening now, causing the over-draw.
The receiver is 100W per channel. The speakers are little JBL 500 bookshelf speakers with 4" woofers, 8 ohm, and I don't play them very loud. I've had them in this configuration for years so I'm puzzled as to why the overload condition has just popped up in the last few weeks.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The receiver is 100W per channel. The speakers are little JBL 500 bookshelf speakers with 4" woofers, 8 ohm, and I don't play them very loud. I've had them in this configuration for years so I'm puzzled as to why the overload condition has just popped up in the last few weeks.

you wer driving one pair at the time no? now they are driven in parallel, assuming the dwitch shorted and became a splitter..

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
you wer driving one pair at the time no? now they are driven in parallel, assuming the dwitch shorted and became a splitter..
Sorry, I should have explained better. I've been running in the A and B setting all along so both pairs of speakers have been playing all the time for many years. The overload is the new thing.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Sorry, I should have explained better. I've been running in the A and B setting all along so both pairs of speakers have been playing all the time for many years. The overload is the new thing.

ah so you were running them in parallel. so just elliminate that switch. It's not really doing anything anyway.