Receiver on the fritz

AndeeG

Oct 18, 2006
So I inherited the receiver along with a set of B&W DM100s from my dad a few years back when I wanted some stereo stuff in my room. I've since hooked it up to my computer.

Initially, it had no problems at all. There was a tiny bit of static but definitely not an issue.

A few months ago it started occasionally dropping or half-dropping a channel when I turned it on. Turning it off then on again always solved the problem. Recently, it just won't work most of the time. The headphone jack in the front of the receiver experiences the same problems as the speakers. I know it's not my computer since I can plug in my headphones directly and it works just fine.

Over the past few days, it has stopped working 90% of the time. Occasionally it will play one channel after being turned on after a few hours without use. I got lucky this afternoon in that it seems to be working fine but this hasn't been the case for the last week or so.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? Would it be possible to fix or is it time for a new receiver?

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
don't forget to try another set of input cables and another input device before you dig a grave for the receiver itself. if it's really the receiver, i'm sure it would be cheaper to just buy a new one.

AndeeG

Oct 18, 2006
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
don't forget to try another set of input cables and another input device before you dig a grave for the receiver itself. if it's really the receiver, i'm sure it would be cheaper to just buy a new one.

hmm... I don't think it's the computer since out put directly to my headphones works just fine.

I forgot to mention the clicking sound that it makes. Often when I turned it on, nothing would play for about four seconds and then there would be a loud clicking noise and everything worked fine. It has also randomly made the same noise and stopped/started working. This leads me to believe that it is the receiver itself.

Thanks for the tip!