Received my ebay RF wireless triggers - CTR-301P - review

Oct 9, 1999
So I went on a buying spree after I got my tax refund. First up was RF triggers. After much research here on AT-DVC, POTN, Amazon, etc etc. I settled on the ebay RF triggers.

There are several manufacturers on Ebay and there are several sellers so first job was to short list the good sellers then the my RF trigger.

The popular PT-02/04 system was nixed as it runs on the 433mhz RF frequency and also required use of AA batteries (which is nice but I cant carry that many AA's).

The Cactus V2 and V4 were nixed for form factor format and possible reliability issues. Also the cactus units while nice are considerably more expensive.

This left the CTR-301 models. There are two of these, CTR-301 and CTR-301P. Difference is that the CTR-301P has a plug output to connect to a studio flash.

Since this is an option for some of us, this immediately put it in the fore front.

Build Quality:

The CTR-301P that I got are built by YONGNUO and are very well built. Solid. The battery latch is good, the battery removal strap is tight. The over all build quality is not bad for a $50. The screws are secure, the unit is solid and there are no rattles. Looking at it one would be hard pressed to say this quality piece of engineering came out of a Chinese factory.

Contents:

I had opted for the deluxe, 1 RF trigger + 4 RF receivers. Each receiver box came with its own 3" 1/8" to 1/4" cable for the triggers. They also included a fully charged CR2 lithium battery (some reviews say this is not the case so YMMV). The transmitter came with the battery installed, only required to be unboxed.

Review:

First off there is not manual that this ebay trigger, so either you got to hunt for reviews or read something like this review.

Transmitter is very simple, it slips on the hot shoe, it has one center pin. It has a test button on the top and 2 dip switches on the bottom. There is no latch to secure the transmitter to the hotshoe, it might not be really snug but it wont fly off.

The receivers are a bit more complicated. They have a DPST switch that allows to switch between the W (Wireless) and L (Light) mode. The third option is OFF. The receiver is flat and can hold the flash upright on a flat surface. It has a nice 20mm metal screw in base for your tripod. The bottom surface also has the 2 dip switches to change frequencies. There is a small LED to denote flash fired on the side and a optical slave on the front.

In W(ireless) mode the unit works great. Distance was noted to be excess of 25 feet in a straight line. I was able to trigger the receiver located upstairs from the living room. So it goes through walls.

In L(ight) mode the flashes work quite well as long as you are facing the optical slave towards your primary strobe. I did notice the optical slave did not fire once or twice, but given that I was triggering it with my Canon SD960IS and that onboard flash is not all that great, I would think it was more of an issue with the position of the remote strobe than anything else.

One thing with these triggers its sync'ed 1/250, so I noticed that even though the flashes were going off with the SD960IS triggering it in optical mode, the flashes did not make any difference to the picture because the camera shot it at 1/60 of a second.

Overall it is a great buy for $50.

BTW: Testing was done with a Canon 40D, Canon SD960IS, Canon EX430 II, Nikon SB 900

330910115_o.jpg

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
I have a set of these as a backup to my Cybersyncs. Yet to have a single misfire.

xchangx

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
If these cost $50, why not spend a tad bit more and get the Cybersyncs? My guess is that the Cybersyncs are much better. Their customer service is awesome as well.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
If these cost $50, why not spend a tad bit more and get the Cybersyncs? My guess is that the Cybersyncs are much better. Their customer service is awesome as well.

it's a bit more than a "tad." Seems on ebay you can get 1 transmitter and 3 receivers for ~$55. That'll almost cover the cybersync transmitter. then you need to shell another $70 for each receiver.

With that said, I love my cybersync's. But this looks like a nice setup for anyone not doing it professionally. But hell, if they are reliable enough, buy a few sets and it's still pretty cheap, heh. Just depends on your subject matter.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
I forgot my Cybersync transmitter at home for a shoot once and these cheap eBay triggers saved my ass big-time. ALWAYS have a backup plan! And for $50, it's the cheapest backup plan ever.

Oct 9, 1999
I'll upgrade to cybersync's when I am able to afford them.. :) In the mean time these $50 for 1 transmitter and 4 receivers will work mighty fine!

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
What features are you looking for with the cybersync ?

i'd say build, reliability, and the use of AA's (granted, the transmitter still uses a giant calc battery). I had the cactus V2s back when (i think that's the model), and build was terrible. I also did not like how they mounted.

though, out of curiosity, stig, where'd you get these?

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
What features are you looking for with the cybersync ?

I know where you're going with this question.

I'd say the only difference is build quality. Although I love my eBay triggers, one of them already has something rattling around inside.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I know where you're going with this question.

I'd say the only difference is build quality. Although I love my eBay triggers, one of them already has something rattling around inside.

sorry if i came off as a prick, but that was an honest question.

Oct 9, 1999
I got this from ebay trader 'dslrbaby', they cost ~50 for it to be shipped from ebay.

I know it does not use AA, but that is by design. Lithium 12V will run a lot longer than the lousy AA 3v. The transmitter is more powerful, and sure it costs more but seriously the power in lithium is a lot more than what is in a AA.

As for features, It would be nice if ETTL worked, I am not sure if cybersyncs do that, but I know the pocket wizards do. BUt for 50, I really dont care. It works.

Now only if I can figure out the sync speed between the SB900 and the 430EXII. Though I am more likely to use the lumopro or the vivitar soon.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
I got this from ebay trader 'dslrbaby', they cost ~50 for it to be shipped from ebay.

I know it does not use AA, but that is by design. Lithium 12V will run a lot longer than the lousy AA 3v. The transmitter is more powerful, and sure it costs more but seriously the power in lithium is a lot more than what is in a AA.

As for features, It would be nice if ETTL worked, I am not sure if cybersyncs do that, but I know the pocket wizards do. BUt for 50, I really dont care. It works.

Now only if I can figure out the sync speed between the SB900 and the 430EXII. Though I am more likely to use the lumopro or the vivitar soon.
Well, my point in AA's is that I already have a mountain full for my flash. While on site, I don't want to also have to buy backup CRwhatever they are batteries. It's expensive to maintain and they have a shelf life. This of course sacrifices size, but I'll take it.

Cybersyncs do not do TTL.