Reasonable turntable suggestions

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I'm looking for some suggestions on a mid range turntable. Nothing crazy. I just want something that sounds good through a pair of Sonos 5. Everything I look at has reviews all over the place. Any help would be appreciated.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I have a Denon DP-45F that I have been using since 1984 but wanted something I could connect via USB and via line-in as most recent receivers don't have turntable-in lines any more so a few years ago I got an Audio Technica AT-LP120USB turntable and I use that primarily now as the Denon is classic and I want to preserve it. It is a very solid player.

Also, remember, a turntable will only sound as good as the cartridge and needle you use as well as the source. Most turntables will sound similar using the same cartridge and vinyl. Don't be fooled by expensive versus non-expensive turntables.

Reactions: bigboxes

UnklSnappy

Apr 13, 2004
Find yourself a vintage Denon, they are excellent turntables. I'm still using my Denon DP-62L which I bought new back in the 80's.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I looked at all of these..

I ended up buying the turntable I wanted as a kid...

As soon as I manage to get rid of all the sonos crap I might upgrade
I still have my SL-J3. Got this when I was 18 when it was new. I rarely play my records any longer, but it's there when I have too. Kind of wish I had a player for 78 speed records.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I looked at all of these..

I ended up buying the turntable I wanted as a kid...

As soon as I manage to get rid of all the sonos crap I might upgrade
Ug, I hated linear drives. I just want to pick up the tonearm and play a song. Not have to program or press a button. I had one in the 80s but when I got my DP-45F I gave the linear drive to my then girlfriend.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Ug, I hated linear drives. I just want to pick up the tonearm and play a song. Not have to program or press a button. I had one in the 80s but when I got my DP-45F I gave the linear drive to my then girlfriend.
Mine was programmable. I could skip to the exact song. How hard was that?

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Didn't say it was hard. Just slow. Lift arm place on next track. Not fiddle with buttons.

Pfft. Throw the record on and hit the buttons for the songs I wanna hear. I was looking at some pretentious thing and decided I wanted automatic. I got a turntable I couldn't afford when I was 17.

It's pretty fucking cool.

Reactions: bigboxes

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I think the sl-ql15 is pretty good but today I found a technics sl-d5 for 349. With the stacking posts! It is gonna get serviceed and I pick it up Wednesday'

Here's a video for reference