Rear LED lights for large tv?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Never, I think it's misguided to place any light source, anywhere near the light source you're trying to watch a show on... unless you're really bored and turn them off when using the TV.

I'd prefer the opposite, if I had to choose then I'd rather paint the wall around it flat black.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i use them, helps with eye fatigue that i get when my contacts are in. i also have a lamp behind my computer monitor that i keep on when it's dark out.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I don't use them. I use the TV in a dark room (as a PC monitor) and the pure blacks on OLED blend into the background better without any lights. They might be good if you watch bright content (news, sports, etc.) but not for most games or movies.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I don't use them. I use the TV in a dark room (as a PC monitor) and the pure blacks on OLED blend into the background better without any lights. They might be good if you watch bright content (news, sports, etc.) but not for most games or movies.

I'm mostly watching movies and shows in a darker environment during the evenings and night. Just football some days but I have thick curtains in that room and it's north-facing, so not a ton of light. The 2020 TCL 6 series has some really good blacks and a great contrast ratio for HDR content for a midrange QLED, I've been really impressed. Watching shows like the Expanse in HDR with lots of inky black space scenes it's very impressive. It's not OLED but it's very good just like all the reviews said. I'll probably avoid the lights for now.

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Forgive me for speculating, but you seem very much like a spammer who searches the web for topics vaguely related to your product, posts a concern then comes back a short while later to post a spam link to a product being pimped that solves your problem, hoping nobody notices that's how some spammers roll these days. Sometimes they even create yet another new account to agree with the first one.

I am jaded...

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I decided to go for the Luminoodle brand of lights which are 6500K True White and installed them the other day. There is a company called MediaQuest that the folks on AVS love that has a much higher CRI but they were more than 3x the price so I wanted to see what these did. I'm kinda digging them. They do make longer viewing sessions feel easier on the eyes, they also look cool, and luckily the USB port on my TCl 65" 6-series powers them fine, and only juices them up when the tv is on. This was just a standard HD stream from HBOMax

PXL_20210410_041448012 (Large).jpg

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Would serve no purpose for me, as the TV backs up to the stairs going down.