Question Realtek audio drivers suck

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Wasted a half day trying to fix a problem with headphones not working on my newish pc. It turns out that the new Realtek Audio Console app breaks headphone functionality and they don't work even if you plug it in the back panel. The console app shows that its connected to the port that its plugged in but no sound is coming out. The simple way to fix it is just to uninstall the lousy RAConsole app. Microsoft also hid the RAC app in their webstore (doesn't turn up in search) probably because they knew its broken.

The old HDA drivers aren't being developed anymore I think but the old Realtek manager (doesn't work with UAD drivers) works with headphones so I switched back to UAD for more updates going forward.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
You could avoid all these issue with drivers and having an audio chipset's DAC and output OPamp stage attached to a chassis that involves current and moving parts by just getting a USB sound card with external DAC/AMP and line level output in case you wanted to use speakers.

Something like the Fiio E10k (classic at this point).

Very best,

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Wasted a half day trying to fix a problem with headphones not working on my newish pc. It turns out that the new Realtek Audio Console app breaks headphone functionality and they don't work even if you plug it in the back panel. The console app shows that its connected to the port that its plugged in but no sound is coming out. The simple way to fix it is just to uninstall the lousy RAConsole app. Microsoft also hid the RAC app in their webstore (doesn't turn up in search) probably because they knew its broken.

The old HDA drivers aren't being developed anymore I think but the old Realtek manager (doesn't work with UAD drivers) works with headphones so I switched back to UAD for more updates going forward.

Fortunately, I haven't had ANY issues with the Realtek drivers or audio control console, everything has been working just fine. Maybe update your audio drivers, remove and reinstall the RAC?

(or, like Mal said,get a decent sound card or DAC/Amp)
thar FiiO unit is good as is the Schiit Fulla.

By the way...what do you have for headphones? Impedance?

Reactions: MalVeauX

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Fortunately, I haven't had ANY issues with the Realtek drivers or audio control console, everything has been working just fine. Maybe update your audio drivers, remove and reinstall the RAC?

Its not a problem with the headphones, the impedance is below 50ohms and works ok even with cheap mp3 players. This issue is a well known problem with RAC and simply uninstalling RAC clears it up. I don't really need RAC for sound effects or connector retasking.

Belaux

Oct 10, 2021

I suggest to use the LDAC or DAC bluetooth digital amplifier, which can streams high quality music from cellphone, pc or any other music player with Bluetooth to any of your home stereo systems. Plug and play, super easy.