Really wierd keyboard issue....helllppp pleasseeee!

itsallpoo

Feb 19, 2014
My system is built around a Gigabyte 990FXA UD5 motherboard, I've had it several years (2014) with no issues until now, which is why this is so vexing. Having problems figuring out whether this is peripheral, motherboard, power supply or maybe even all three. The power supply is an Antec high current gamer series 900W and I'm running a 9370 cpu with a nvidia 1060 graphics card (only one card).

Lately all I buy is mechanical keyboards, have had several "fail" i.e. keys don't work type the wrong character etc. etc. I think it highly unlikely that 2 name brand expensive mechanical keyboards could crap out the same way in quick succession so I'm looking into other causes. Already took the corsair strafe back once to bestbuy thank heavens I bought the warranty but I'm sure if i go back again I'm going to get the hairy eyeball. The last time it did this I moved the usb cords around in the slots and ripped out drivers and let windows reinstall and it was ok for a bit but I came home tonight and it's doing it again. If I didn't say so already my machine is left running all the time and yes i have a corsair liquid cooler on here so I hopefully am not frying anything from leaving it on all the time. (I'm an old computer chick, they used to say the worst thing to do to a computer was turn it on on the theory that soldier points crap out when they heat up from cold so don't let them get cold).

Thank god for the gaming laptop or I'd be shivering with withdrawal symptoms about now, lol. This motherboard has always powered usb plugs on it presumably so you can charge your devices even if the system is off and I don't recall but I think they can also handle a little more draw than regular usb ports as well. When the machine is totally off a couple of the backlighted keys on the keyboard are still lit up? I was reading a thread where someone was talking about something similar and talking about the 5 volt rail on the power supply or maybe even a failing cap on the motherboard???? could something be failing here and it's surging the keyboard? Am I mistaken in my belief that these gaming keyboards have some sort of hardware of their own for the macros and some other functions?

I just don't get it no problems until the last couple of months, was wondering if maybe ms$ put out some crapola update or something. I haven't reloaded windows in some time and the last time I swapped out my c drive it was a clone not a fresh reload. I've searched around not finding much. This is so aggravating trying to build my freaking epheria sailboat in bdo and all this downtime just makes it take longer and longer, lol. IT blocks the traffic at work or I'd just take it to work and boot it up and put it in a drawer out of sight, I can't win lol. God I'm old i remember post cards, is there any such device that could perhaps detect power where there shouldn't be any?

I have a power supply tester but I don't think this is something that would show up there, the gadget just shows output within spec on the rail, there are crazy expensive ones with readouts but i don't have one. Bdo is a pretty demanding game on hardware I'd think if the power supply was crapping or the motherboard either for that matter that I'd be having a lot more issues than this. I'm thinking about wiping the drive and reinstalling win 10 but that thought makes me twitch would rather look for other issues first. I "think" the issue started when I got my new netgear gaming router, it seems like netgear loaded some idiot proof crap to help install the router, I know I saw some unfamiliar things running in task manager but I have run registry cleans and malware cleaners and I haven't seen anything running in the background that I don't recognize either.

I'm really just grasping for threads right now, since I seem to get some success forcing driver reloads that kinda indicates to me software not hardware, ack just real frustrated right now, lol.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
if you have a laptop, you can plug your faulty keyboard in the laptop. that will help you determine for sure that it's the keyboard, or if its the hardware.