Really Neato Chipset Cooler Review

dawza

Dec 31, 2005
The A8N-SLI deluxe does not have a built-in NB chipset temp monitor AFAIK, so I wonder about the actual results and conclusions.

There is another review with the Zalman NBF-47 that measured 63C using an IR thermometer: Link

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999
yeah, he said he used speedfan for all temps, and those temps for a passive cooller does seem a bit nuts.

maybe he used wrong sensor

Edit: Glad you mentioned that, was gonna get one for my DS3 :D

dawza

Dec 31, 2005
The problem is that there is no sensor- on these mobos, an external probe is necessary to assess NB temps. I am guessing that the article reports mobo temps- I believe the mobo temp sensor is near the NB, but is definitely not an accurate indicator of NB temps.

There were several reports on SPCR of temps >80C with the Zalman NB-47J passive cooler; the A8N-SLI Premium heatpipe cooler even reaches upwards of 60C, and ASUS specifies that the heatpipe will keep NB temps <70C.

Beiruty

Jun 14, 2005
testing needs to redone with acutal digital sensor stuck next to the cooler. I am puzzled to see all performed the same way!

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999
a guy over at xtremesystems built a solid copper DICE cooler for his DS3 mobo NB, then milled a little slot underneath and glued a tiny probe in there

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Very nice, did they try mounting a 60mm fan on that Cooler Master Blue Ice? I guarantee it will beat all of those things :p