"Realistically, no-one I know, needs a Desktop Computer, for the rest of their lives."

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Meh, it's all about priorities...

I added a glass top to my desktop PC and now i sits in my livingroom next to the couch.

I use oversized cooling sollutions overspec my PC.
It's just always there in a corner silent on an available to do my bidding...

No more noisy laptops for me (too bad I have a work laptop that starts making a racket anytime the virus scanner is doing a scan... and games are even worse...

Why are you even gaming on a work laptop lol

walkur

May 1, 2001
Games are on a different laptop ... 1660 gpu i believe.. only really use it for the (mini) LAN-parties/bbq's/special beer taste sessions.
A weekend with a bunch of 40 year old's playing (oldschool) games, grilling meat, watching movies, while drinking weird craft beers etc... online gaming doesn't hold a candle to it.

it's nice to have a laptop as a backup rig... but that's it.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Google has Stadia right now, and I guess it works really well. You just buy a controller and a subscription and off you go. Game systems will probably be the first to disappear into the cloud.

Those systems really worry me
  • Ownership is a thing of the past. Its a monthly fee forever. No more buying a game and playing the heck out of it for years.
  • No more used market. That's already dead on PC, but its a big deal for console gamers.
  • General latency/bandwidth issues inherent to requiring an internet connection. People with iffy/metered connections are going to get left out.
  • The hardware isn't fixed. That means they can squeeze you. Bandwidth too much? They start upping compression or slightly lowering the resolution sent. Hardware a problem? They start decreasing the rendered resolution or details level in games. Cable TV is pretty much a perfect example of why you should be concerned. They squeezed channels so much that they're worse than VHS in some case. Their set top boxes were extreme lowest common denominator. 3rd party cable boxes were light years ahead in features. As soon as they have a have pretty much killed consoles I'm sure they'll start turning the screws to see how little people will accept without unsubscribing.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah I HATE the idea of putting so much stuff in the cloud. You completely lose ownership of everything. Unfortunately it seems to be the way everything is going. Even most software now is going subscription based. Absolutely hate that crap. I don't want my gaming or working environment to be dictated by some outside factor. I want everything local and not reliant on a server I don't own.

Even current consoles are bad for that now. For online based games they need to at least provide a way to connect direct to an IP, but they don't even do that.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
When did we become sheep? I dont really game much any more, and the things I might play are from 20 years ago.

If I had to pay rent to play a damn game I would probably go off the deep end. :(