Real differences with ATX vs mATX?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Noob question of the day...

What are the real differences between the ATX form vs mATX? ...yes, besides the obvious of actual dimensions and the case to mount them in, the only thing I can see would be additional PCI slots for multiple GPU's or other cards/controllers.

I'm considering moving my mATX Z68 board to my HTPC build and getting a new ATX or mATX board for my desktop build, I'm just wondering if I'll be missing anything important by going with mATX again. Better circuitry or current handling?

Say:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128542

vs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128546

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The only difference is slots, assuming the rest is the same. You can make the exact same mATX and ATX boards. Some boards like Intel for example is directly the same boards. The ATX versions even got the line where to cut off for mATX in production.

The 2 boards you compare however aint so. Seems to be somewhat different. But I dont see anything that would limit you, besides if you got 8 HDs/SSDs maybe.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Not much. Motherboard specific with all form factors when it comes to the power circuitry tho.

Only downside I see currently with mATX is that they cost more than similar ATX motherboards.

kleinkinstein

Aug 16, 2012
I never had a mATX match an ATX with regard to OC potentials. There are a few "high-end Enthusiast" mATX boards, but you can get equivalent performance from a cheaper ATX. More room for Power Phases is also a plus for ATX. mATX usually come with less mosfets for controlling the power to the CPU. Since companies figure those buying ATX are looking for a stock/htpc type computer and don't need to spend the extra $30-50 for increased overclocking potential. This isn't to say that mATX boards can't overclock well, as I've seen plenty of people getting good clocks on a lot of different CPUs. I get 4.7 @ 1.235v with 3770k on a Pro4-M.

IntelEnthusiast

Intel Representative
Feb 10, 2011
9.5" x 9.5" (mATX) vs 12.5" x 9.5" (ATX)

In the end it comes down to one or two slots that would be on the ATX are missing from the mATX. Since enthusiast generally go with ATX it is much harder to get high end boards in mATX. Heck we don't even make a Z77 board in mATX. :(

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
More room for Power Phases is also a plus for ATX. mATX usually come with less mosfets for controlling the power to the CPU.

There is NOTHING in the micro ATX form factor that would give it less room for power phases or mosfets. If a board is "missing" it is because the manufacturer made it that way. Nothing whatsoever to do with ATX or micro ATX.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
I remember a bunch of IBM machines back in the day that had two piece mobos. Slap on the bottom piece for ATX, remove for mATX.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I never had a mATX match an ATX with regard to OC potentials.

Well, that was one of my concerns; my current mATX board is not an OC monster (although part of that also may be my chip... it runs hot as... well, you know.)

There is NOTHING in the micro ATX form factor that would give it less room for power phases or mosfets. If a board is "missing" it is because the manufacturer made it that way. Nothing whatsoever to do with ATX or micro ATX.

Which kind of goes back to what Intel Enthusiast said... essentially mATX is a 'form factor first' kind of thing. I guess that makes sense. I'm never going to run more than one GPU, but there is a lot more variety in the ATX form... :colbert: