Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I should really post this on the Steam forums but I don't have an account there or maybe I do I forget anyway.

If I buy all these Lucas Art games, they come in a package for $20, will they play with my computer running win7?

These are old games like Dark Forces II from 1997.

2nd question. If they don't work, will I be allowed to put them in another computer so I can try to get them to work? I have a old computer with amd2500, 9800pro and I could put win98 on it. I was planing to do this this summer so I can play older games. There are so many I want to play again like System Shock II, Duex, Tie Fighter etc. But I'm not sure of Steams rules.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
As for your first question, it seems hit or miss with that pack. Some people have been having problems getting the old game running at all, and others have had random in game glitches in both 7 and Vista. As for your second, once you have a Steam account you can use it on any computer, anywhere. Many of us, myself included, keep an old box like yours around and often use it to play older games.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Windows 7 has the Windows XP mode in it and you would be surprised at how many old games were tweaked to run on Windows XP, either by their developers or fanbase.

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: OVerLoRDI
Windows 7 has the Windows XP mode in it and you would be surprised at how many old games were tweaked to run on Windows XP, either by their developers or fanbase.

IF your CPU supports it and IF you have the correct version of Windows 7. OP, I'd advise against using Steam if you can help it.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
I got the adventure pack and it runs absolutely fine on Vista 64. Apparently, Lucasarts recompiled the SCUMM engine for the games so it runs natively, no DOSBOX. Only problem is that they did not bother to implement OPL, but instead run the music and non-digital sounds through the MIDI which does not have the same effect as the original OPL version. Other than that, it's all good for me. But from what I have heard, the Jedi Knight stuff is a big hit and miss. Driver problems with some (though I heard of a mod to try and fix it). In terms of functionality though, they omitted the CD audio music tracks.

So the Lucasarts stuff, though very tempting, is rather mediocre in what was released. Lucasarts really should have put more work into it I think.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
As for your first question, it seems hit or miss with that pack. Some people have been having problems getting the old game running at all, and others have had random in game glitches in both 7 and Vista. As for your second, once you have a Steam account you can use it on any computer, anywhere. Many of us, myself included, keep an old box like yours around and often use it to play older games.

Steam does not support Win98 anymore. WinXP would be the best bet on his old box.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Golgatha
Originally posted by: TheVrolok

Steam does not support Win98 anymore. WinXP would be the best bet on his old box.

No kidding? I was not aware of that, and it kinda surprises me - well, no I guess it really doesn't.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Northern Lawn

If I buy all these Lucas Art games, they come in a package for $20, will they play with my computer running win7?

Yes.

2nd question. If they don't work, will I be allowed to put them in another computer so I can try to get them to work? I have a old computer with amd2500, 9800pro and I could put win98 on it. I was planing to do this this summer so I can play older games. There are so many I want to play again like System Shock II, Duex, Tie Fighter etc. But I'm not sure of Steams rules.

Yes, you can put them on any computer, but not with Win98. Needs 2000, XP, Vista or 7.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I played through JK (original copy) a few years ago on XP and it worked fine, but that was on an X1900 card. The main potential problem with late 90s games like this will not be the OS, but the video card drivers.

Originally posted by: OVerLoRDI

The XP mode is useless for games from what I hear. It's based on the Virtual PC core, which is slow and doesn't support any 3D hardware at all. On the other hand, almost all the games that work on XP also work on Vista or 7.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Originally posted by: mb

Yes.

Yes, you can put them on any computer, but not with Win98. Needs 2000, XP, Vista or 7.

You were right. I bought it and I tried dark forces and a dos box popped up and everything seems to work. No up down view though and talk about huge pixels lol.

I wonder if deux ex would work ah $5.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: mb

Yes.

You were right. I bought it and I tried dark forces and a dos box popped up and everything seems to work. No up down view though and talk about huge pixels lol.

I wonder if deux ex would work ah $5.

Page up / page down, IIRC.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Deus Ex works fine on modern PCs. Use one of the UTGLR rendering paths for improved performance though.