rate your significant other's computer literacy

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being very knowledgeable/programmer/architect/designer type, how computer literate is your significant other ?

We all know YOU as the ATOT neffer are pretty well versed about most computer/Internet issues, but what about your better half ?

List their job if they are close to a 5 rating.

Originally posted by: minendo
3 with her own computer that I manage.
Pretty much sums up my situation too. I told her to buy a Dell, which helps a lot for warranty stuff.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
She's a 3, though a quick learner. Taught her (on the phone) how to edit a table through Dreamweaver and ftp it online...

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
I used to have a significant other :(
Sucks to be you. Take your ass elsewhere for sympathy though. You already have a thread on this.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
my b/f is an analogue guy in a digital world.

He was terrified of computers, couldnt activate his voice mailbox and was clueless on anything electronic. I have taught him about computers by making him build them with me, explaining each component in detail (what is it and what it does) and taught him how to surf the web. I set up his voicemail and now he thinks it is a great idea.

I have dragged him, kicking and screaming, into the digital world!

:)

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
My left hand knows just about as much as I do.

i'm guessing it does most of the work then eh... driving the mouse and your lower horn

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
3 - they can surf the net for information they need and even install their own programs if need be

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000
Despite owning and being exposed to (literally) dozens of PCs and laptops since knowing her, my wife is practically illiterate when it comes to PCs. She is doing the on-line degree thing and she calls me everyday at work to help her complete the most mundane tasks. I do IT support and administration for a living and she is as bad as my worst users.. She reminds me (almost on a daily basis) why I hated doing phone support.

She's good at other things.... ;)

I gave her a 2, but it's more like a high 1

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
5 - She's the lead network admin and network security officer at a small/medium sized company. She knows more than I do about most networking and Windows administration related things.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
She knows basically what all the internal components of a PC are, how they go together, the difference between a PCI and an ISA slot, what and IDE connector is, and could easily put the parts together from scratch.

She'd faulter loading an OS though. After showing her once or twice she'd figure it out though.

I'd put her at a 4.

Palek

Jun 20, 2001
Weak 3. She MIGHT be able to install programs on her own, but she will ask me to do complicated tasks like that.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Good responses... I thought this might be interesting. As for mine, she and her manager are the IT department so she handles most of the things for her company while her manager does the paperwork. She got lucky - an opportunity to learn on the job out of college (4 years ago). Anyway, I think there are about 30 users. She does call me on few occasions to answer some questions though. Hey - what's my knowledge is her knowledge... as long as it brings in the dough... and her manager doesn't know. ;) I'd rate her a high 4 on that scale, in perspective... cause once she's home, she doesn't even touch a computer. Her old one is in parts upstairs sitting unused.