Raspberry Pi 3 A+ - stable server Linux?

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Could you suggest a robust server distro for Raspberry Pi 3 A+?
I'm generally a fan of openSUSE, but I just can't make it work on 512 MB RAM. :/

System will be running data-related tasks: collecting (web scraping etc), Apache Airflow instance, some light RDBMS and Minikube.

deb or rpm - doesn't matter that much. I'm generally more used to rpm side, but for this project a stable debian/ubuntu would be fine as well.

I know the obvious choice would be Raspbian, but for some reason I haven't had much luck with it - albeit used only with X11.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
DietPi

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Interesting.

Is this an active project? A lot of issues on GitHub and not much happening.
I'll give it a go in VirtualBox, but maybe keep as a backup plan for the project. :)

Yes, it's active. An it's truly lightweight. It uses text based UI to manage package installation/uninstallation. It comes with many packages and you choose what you want/need easily.

It also has an active forum.

I'm a Windows guy, but I tried x86 version DietPi in VMware last year and really like it. You can add GUI yourself if you need to and make the desktop GUI to start itself when you login. You have to Google it though.

IIRC, the only problem is that it's VMware image seems based on SDCARD 32GB fixed size. If you need more storage, you probably need to expand it using CloneZilla or something else to clone it to a larger disk.

If I get Raspberry SBC someday in the future, I'll definitely run DietPi on it.

==

Some videos on Youtube.

==

Virtualbox version info. It says 1GB RAM, but 512MB is OK I believe.

OK, I was wrong about the VM disk. It's expandable in VM config. (Both VMware & VirtualBox)

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
The packages I installed in below pict. consume about 200-300MB with my 512MB DietPi VM I just recreated in VMware.

Untitled.png

sysinfo showed in webmin

Untitled.png

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
One downside of DietPi is everytime you install a package, you need to restart the system.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Move up to rpi4?
An obvious solution. :)

However, what I have right now is the 3A+ and I'd love to make it work. As a challenge, but also because I have no other use for it. :)

Once I get past the OS issue, the actual tasks are really light - mostly monitoring a few pages and chewing through the occasional few MB of data.
I'm currently doing this on a f1-micro VM @ Google (which likely is even weaker - I'll run some tests for sure).

If I ever decide to upgrade this system (or replace a dead RPi), it'll most likely be a NUC anyway.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
An obvious solution. :)

However, what I have right now is the 3A+ and I'd love to make it work. As a challenge, but also because I have no other use for it. :)

Once I get past the OS issue, the actual tasks are really light - mostly monitoring a few pages and chewing through the occasional few MB of data.
I'm currently doing this on a f1-micro VM @ Google (which likely is even weaker - I'll run some tests for sure).

If I ever decide to upgrade this system (or replace a dead RPi), it'll most likely be a NUC anyway.

You can always drop packages you don't need from raspbian and just vnc to it

Last edited: