Raspberry Pi 2 is fantastic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
dumb question. Can i use one of these as a media extender to my kodi setup in the basement? I need an endpoint to stream to.

It will run Kodi just fine and you can tie it to your primary Kodi box's MySQL library for watched status.

It wouldn't really be an extender though, more a complete Kodi station.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
It will run Kodi just fine and you can tie it to your primary Kodi box's MySQL library for watched status.

It wouldn't really be an extender though, more a complete Kodi station.

Do you have a link on how to do that? How do I share the library to another media center?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Do you have a link on how to do that? How do I share the library to another media center?

Here is the link on the whole thing:

http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL

Make sure the MySQL system has a decent CPU (aka not ARM or Atom) and 2+GB of RAM. I have had this setup for years with now 7 viewing stations (which includes mobile devices).

If you have a massive library (over 1200 movies and more than 300 TV shows) then you might need to tweak the MySQL config a little (and you will need 4GB of RAM on the MySQL box).

latinoi

Jan 3, 2015
Now for some reason has anyone tried xbmc / kodi, remote control on your cellphone, I use my fire tv, and my raspberry pi 2, via my note 4 and Iphone 5 and Ipad's. Just find remote control, and it does it all.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I just ordered a kit today that should be here in a week.

I want to set it up to display an RSS feed on a monitor as digital signage in the office...anyone have any ideas of a good way to start? I've not played with them at all, so I need to establish the best OS/software options out of what's available.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I just ordered a kit today that should be here in a week.

I want to set it up to display an RSS feed on a monitor as digital signage in the office...anyone have any ideas of a good way to start? I've not played with them at all, so I need to establish the best OS/software options out of what's available.

What kind of display are you hooking it up to, and how do you want it to look? I did one for a customer that had a Powerpoint on top with an RSS banner on the bottom that auto-updated & scrolled horizontally (under Windows). You can do RSS websites fullscreen as well, which is pretty easy.