Rasmussen Poll: MSM trying to destroy Palin

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: 351Cleveland
Just watched Megyn Kelly EVICERATE the "US Weekly" senior editor Bradley somebody for their biased and bullshit coverage of Palin. All he can say is "Gosh, it happened so fast, we didnt have time, if it ends up looking bad, its because we didnt have the time." SHe tore him apart. RIghtly so It was about as sleazy an article and COVER as I have ever seen.

yeah last week a cover of Obama with the family telling us what a great family man he is. This week Palin with a baby and a ridiculous title. They arent even trying to hide their partisan nature anymore.

Are you insane? I guess you have all forgotten about this entire spring where there were bad news stories about Obama nearly every day? I'm sure you consider THOSE stories 'due diligence', and THESE stories 'ridiculous' though.

It's almost like when a figure rises to national prominence the news media goes out and investigates them. No matter how many times you repeat the liberal media myth it won't get any more true.

You mean Rev Wright? When hillary finally made it a point? If Obama got the same treatment as Palin. Rev Wright would have been front and center 10 mins after he started running for president. And we wouldnt be barraged with family covers of the Obama's convincing us they are the avg American family.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
I told you all this would happen. The MSM went to far when they went after her family. That poll will even be more in the favor of sarah palin now that she has started to fight back. You can blame you favorite left wing papers like the NYT who had 3 front page stories about her kid.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Guys, 27% of people still support George Bush. You know who my guess is as to who that 24% in that poll is? Media bashing is red meat to ultra conservatives. You guys have it great either way, every time a conservative is criticized you say "LIBRUL MEDIA!". Every time a conservative is praised in the media, as Palin generally was for her speech even considering how hysterical it was, and nary a mention from the usual suspects.

Whatever it takes to cling to your persecution complex guys... whatever it takes.

There is a difference between being critical and being hysterical. The media in the last week has been nothing by Hysterical. Focusing on a 17 year olds pregnancy, digging deep into the husbands past to bring up a drunk driving arrest from 22 years ago, questioning the vetting process because she has 5 kids? That isnt a responsible media, the is a media within a frenzy.

The ironic thing is with all of this shit throwing by our MSM about the kid's pregnancy and other ridiculous claims. A real story, one that is worth investigating goes relatively unheard. Troopergate.

And you think that this is based on the media's liberal bias, and not their well proven desire for stories having to do with sex and vice? Are you kidding? The fact that Troopergate has been under the radar (which is looking more and more like it could end up being a serious problem) shows you where the media's bias lies. It is biased towards headlines.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Guys, 27% of people still support George Bush. You know who my guess is as to who that 24% in that poll is? Media bashing is red meat to ultra conservatives. You guys have it great either way, every time a conservative is criticized you say "LIBRUL MEDIA!". Every time a conservative is praised in the media, as Palin generally was for her speech even considering how hysterical it was, and nary a mention from the usual suspects.

Whatever it takes to cling to your persecution complex guys... whatever it takes.

There is a difference between being critical and being hysterical. The media in the last week has been nothing by Hysterical. Focusing on a 17 year olds pregnancy, digging deep into the husbands past to bring up a drunk driving arrest from 22 years ago, questioning the vetting process because she has 5 kids? That isnt a responsible media, the is a media within a frenzy.

The ironic thing is with all of this shit throwing by our MSM about the kid's pregnancy and other ridiculous claims. A real story, one that is worth investigating goes relatively unheard. Troopergate.

And you think that this is based on the media's liberal bias, and not their well proven desire for stories having to do with sex and vice? Are you kidding? The fact that Troopergate has been under the radar (which is looking more and more like it could end up being a serious problem) shows you where the media's bias lies. It is biased towards headlines.

I never made a claim it was due to their liberal bias in my response. But they are certainly not doing a respectable job by any stretch of the imagination.

But I would be willing to bet if Palin had a (D) in front of her name. It wouldnt be anywhere near as desperate.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Just watched Megyn Kelly EVICERATE the "US Weekly" senior editor Bradley somebody for their biased and bullshit coverage of Palin. All he can say is "Gosh, it happened so fast, we didnt have time, if it ends up looking bad, its because we didnt have the time." SHe tore him apart. RIghtly so It was about as sleazy an article and COVER as I have ever seen.

yeah last week a cover of Obama with the family telling us what a great family man he is. This week Palin with a baby and a ridiculous title. They arent even trying to hide their partisan nature anymore.

Are you insane? I guess you have all forgotten about this entire spring where there were bad news stories about Obama nearly every day? I'm sure you consider THOSE stories 'due diligence', and THESE stories 'ridiculous' though.

It's almost like when a figure rises to national prominence the news media goes out and investigates them. No matter how many times you repeat the liberal media myth it won't get any more true.

You mean Rev Wright? When hillary finally made it a point? If Obama got the same treatment as Palin. Rev Wright would have been front and center 10 mins after he started running for president. And we wouldnt be barraged with family covers of the Obama's convincing us they are the avg American family.

Do you seriously not understand the level of media scrutiny that is different between a multipolar contested primary and in the heat of the best funded presidential campaign in history? Who do you think has been pointing the media towards most of this information? Political opponents of the Republicans.

Amazingly enough when someone becomes a threat to politicians with lots of money to throw at opposition research, stories show up in the news. Now doesn't that make a lot more sense than a wide ranging media conspiracy?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Your proposal is another conspiracy?

Lets agree to disagree on this. These liberal bias threads go nowhere. Neither side is going to convince each other.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Lets agree to disagree on this. These liberal bias threads go nowhere. Neither side is going to convince each other.

No, we won't agree to disagree. I have meta analysis and scientific research on my side. You have one widely discredited study from UCLA. Both sides are not equal.

Yes, my proposal is another conspiracy. A conspiracy that is carried out in every single contested election in America. It's called opposition research. Finding out dirt about your opponents and giving it to the media is what every single politician of any significance in America does in every single election they are a part of.

JHoNNy1OoO

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2003
I think we can safely assume she was not properly vetted because of the amount of stories that INSTANTLY came out. McCain thought he was going to have a one up on the media by picking an "outsider" hoping that there would not be that much "dirt" in her past. They figured the media would only talk about what they initially released in her speech. It was NAIVE of them from the moment they mentioned the "Bridge to Nowhere" that it would just go away. It could easily be seen that just going through her own home town newspaper that there was.

To say that Obama wasn't attacked like this by the media is fair to say but, on the same side of that coin you have to remember that during the primaries he ran against Hillary. Who in their right mind doesn't think that Hillary was trying to find every single piece of "dirt" in his past to try to win the nomination? This wasn't in a one month campaign but in an 15+ month endeavour for President.

The McCain camp has only themselves to blame for not doing damage control on their part by properly investigating her past. They are now the ones reaping the rewards from their own screw up. In the short term suggesting media bias is going to help get some support but the stories aren't going to stop about the facts the McCain campaign stated that are outright lies about Sarah Palin.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005

It was Rove/McCains "choice" to use the media as they have...

of course they knew exactly of all Palin's "troubles". This is by design. They are "positives" to the fundamentalists in charge. These are the issues they want to debate. Takes the "issues", the war and the economy and the Bush record right out and replaces with the culture war.

McCain and Palin CHOSE to put the family drama into the national spotlight. They have no right to complain about their choice. If they have the gall to parade Bristol and her husband-to-be Levi in front of the national audience tonight after Palin gives her acceptance speech so they may express their ever-lasting teenage love, everything about her family is officially public domain... EVERYTHING. They chose to use that family as cynical political tools; they can now live with the consequences.

But whether or not the press is biased against McCain and Palin, McCain's campaign will continue to scream bloody murder as long as it thinks that helps his chances in November. Will it?

This is a man who just three years ago was fondly referring to the press corps as "my base" in recognition of his historically warm and open relationships with journalists from across the political spectrum. Now he's in the position of having to pretend those relationships never existed - a position he's able to maintain only with an incredible degree of awkwardness.

Running against the media is a time-honored tactic but also a historically unavailing one, usually attempted in desperation by panicking campaigns unable to compete with the opponent himself.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

No, we won't agree to disagree. I have meta analysis and scientific research on my side. You have one widely discredited study from UCLA. Both sides are not equal.

Yes, my proposal is another conspiracy. A conspiracy that is carried out in every single contested election in America. It's called opposition research. Finding out dirt about your opponents and giving it to the media is what every single politician of any significance in America does in every single election they are a part of.

Oh jesus H, I admitted the UCLA study was flawed. Get over it. The rest of it is all personal review. You wont convince me either way with any kind of study. I watch the news, I see how they report it. I form my own personal opinion on what I see, not what somebody studied by giving values to what they percieved a story to say.

That is why I said agree to disagree. This is an opportunity for you to stop wasting our time.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Oh jesus H, I admitted the UCLA study was flawed. Get over it. The rest of it is all personal review. You wont convince me either way with any kind of study. I watch the news, I see how they report it. I form my own personal opinion on what I see, not what somebody studied by giving values to what they percieved a story to say.

That is why I said agree to disagree. This is an opportunity for you to stop wasting our time.

If you want to use the "I don't care what science says I know what I know" argument that is your business, but you can't expect me to agree to disagree as if both of our viewpoints are equally valid.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000

If you want to use the "I don't care what science says I know what I know" argument that is your business, but you can't expect me to agree to disagree as if both of our viewpoints are equally valid.

I don't rememebr the equations for scientifically determining bias and opinion - could you post them?

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
The selection of Palin really suggests something disturbing: the people in power today do not actually WANT someone who is going to govern the USA. They want someone to front the cameras and drive the spin. Or, as a certain former Yale cheerleader once put it, to "catapult the propaganda".

This begs the question: if the GOP wins in November (and more especially if McCain dies in office), who will really be in control of Washington?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
People need to take an honest to God look at the type of 'hit pieces' Obama had to endure:

-undercover radical muslim
-non-christian
-angry black theologist
-abortion loving
-non American citizen
-angry bitter wife

OH and what about McCain?

-he called his wife a c_nt
-his wife abused drugs
-Keating 5 (although this is an actual issue he got caught up in)
-ummm I cant remember much else but you get the point :)

I am sure there are others. But my point is, Obama had to go through the same treatment. How many days did the whole Madrassa thing run 24/7 on the news circuits??

Sarah Palins media extravaganza is a clear case of the media trying to cash in. Pure and simple. Trooopergate is too complex an issue right now, and it will be made more prominent in the press only after the press/media has had a chance to run the more flammatory material (AIP, Babygate) and milk it for all the greenbacks it possibly could.

No one should be defending the media over this. With that said, no one should be projecting the medias obsession with everything inane about Sarah Palin, to the Obama campaign that (with respect to the Palin hype) has really been sitting on its hands over the last several days. Unless one can provide evidence that it is Obama and his campaign that are pushing these inane stories.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee

I don't rememebr the equations for scientifically determining bias and opinion - could you post them?

Go look them up yourself, there are a great number of meta analyses and studies done on media bias. I've even posted a few in previous threads. There is an entire area of media study and political science based around analysis of this type.

This is basic information, how do you not know this?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Doh!

Although women voters by a 48% to 35% margin believe the coverage of Palin reveals a double standard in the media, they continue to support Obama more than men.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
How is it that the 'MSM' never includes Fox News and Clear Channel?

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by: OrByte
People need to take an honest to God look at the type of 'hit pieces' Obama had to endure:

-undercover radical muslim
-non-christian
-angry black theologist :thumbsup: Check
-abortion loving :thumbsup: Check
-non American citizen
-angry bitter wife :thumbsup: Check

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Originally posted by: JS80
http://www.rasmussenreports.co..._experience_than_obama

Over half of U.S. voters (51%) think reporters are trying to hurt Sarah Palin with their news coverage, and 24% say those stories make them more likely to vote for Republican presidential candidate John McCain in November.

5% say they are trying to help, 35% unbiased, etc.

In the new survey, while 24% are more likely to vote for Palin due to recent news coverage, 19% say the opposite and 54% say the stories have no impact on their votes.

lol who are the 35% fucking idiots that think MSM are unbiased.

Probably the same type (thinking type) of persons that beleive Fox News is fair & balanced.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee

Check and mate. The whole idea of a scientific provable theory on bias is rediculous, its all based on perspective. By every objective measure -- ie, adding up total air time dedicated to one campaign or the other -- it's absolutely clear who's side the media is on.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Not surprising, that's exactly what one of my wife's friends said last night. She doesn't follow politics at all and couldn't tell you who Palin was until last night, when after the news she said "the media sure seems intent on bashing that woman, whoever she is". She wasn't planning on voting, but will be voting McCain now.
So because she's getting bashed your wife's dumb-as-fvck-ignorant friend will vote for McCain? Perfect case in point of what's wrong with democracy.

Oh, so because someone is not interested in politics and has an actual life that is more important, they are now "dumb-as-fvck-ignorant". Clearly, your "enlightened" vote is worth more than hers :roll: I think you've successfully proven that you are the one that fits in that category, not her.

And yes, if the left-biased media tries to bash someone, that's perfectly good reason to think there must be something good about that candidate.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski
meaningless poll

this is not a meaningless poll, and this is actually something Obama people and the left wanna watch out for.

With the big turn out from democrats during the primary, and the full support of Clintons and their supporters, Obama should lock up this election rather easily. And because of the crappy 8 years of Bush and McCain's lack of support from conservative republican, this election should be a cake walk for Obama.

But one thing you don't want is rally up the conservative and rural white American to get out and vote in large number and stand behind McCain. This would make battle states in the Midwest much more challenging for Obama. And all the attacks on Palin, her views, which is very much in line with conservatives and rural white American, will do just that, rally those voters who could be sitting this one out.

I am sure all these attacks makes the left and Obama supporters feel good inside, but in reality, it is not doing Obama any good.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: BMW540I6speed
What Feeding Frenzy?

I'd be interested in what you people believe is the appropriate amount of press scrutiny under the circumstances.
-snip-

For starters (if I was a journalist or their supervisor) I'd first get the basics. Where was she born and raised, what schools did she attend, what jobs etc she and her husband have had etc.

Then I'd start with her political job and research backwards. I.e., starting with her governorship, what policies has she pursued, what budgets etc. I might like to look at her campaign - what platform(s) did she run? What slogans did she use? What were her commercials like?

We also have heard claims about her gubernatorial acheivements, they should certainly be explored.

What have we been getting? Questions like how can she be VP and still have time to be a mother of 5? Her husband's DUI charge from 22 years ago, her daughter's pregnancy?

The trooper gate thing is all I've seen (that I can recall in this huge flurry of BS) that merits mention.

Fern