Question Raptor Lake - Official Thread

Page 67 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Since we already have the first Raptor Lake leak I'm thinking it should have it's own thread.
What do we know so far?
From Anandtech's Intel Process Roadmap articles from July:

Built on Intel 7 with upgraded FinFET
10-15% PPW (performance-per-watt)
Last non-tiled consumer CPU as Meteor Lake will be tiled

I'm guessing this will be a minor update to ADL with just a few microarchitecture changes to the cores. The larger change will be the new process refinement allowing 8+16 at the top of the stack.

Will it work with current z690 motherboards? If yes then that could be a major selling point for people to move to ADL rather than wait.

Reactions: vstar

Just Benching

Banned
Sep 3, 2022
Can I now believe, based on this, that Intel is struggling to advance and needs to use ever increasing power consumption to improve CPU performance?
But they are not using ever increasing power. It remained steady for more than 2 years (10900k) and relatively steady for 5, while the performance increase those 5 years has been nothing short of massive. If im not mistaken the 12700k is almost twice as fast compared to the 9900k, at same wattage and lower price. The 13700k will certainly be over twice as fast.

If you HAVE to conclude that someone is struggling to advance without using increasing power consumption, that's amd, since literally they are the ones that increased the power consumption. Intel didn't, they just increased the core counts. Keep in mind, amd has kept core counts steady for the R5 and R7 models for what, 7 years now. Reminds you of someone?

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
But they are not using ever increasing power. It remained steady for more than 2 years (10900k) and relatively steady for 5, while the performance increase those 5 years has been nothing short of massive. If im not mistaken the 12700k is almost twice as fast compared to the 9900k, at same wattage and lower price. The 13700k will certainly be over twice as fast.

If you HAVE to conclude that someone is struggling to advance without using increasing power consumption, that's amd, since literally they are the ones that increased the power consumption. Intel didn't, they just increased the core counts. Keep in mind, amd has kept core counts steady for the R5 and R7 models for what, 7 years now. Reminds you of someone?
11900k, moreso.

Reactions: Just Benching

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Recent thread cleaned up, and many posts deleted.

Any further issues will result in time off.

Moderators do not want to keep having to come to this thread, and dealing with multiple reports. If it doesn't concern Raptor Lake CPUs, don't post in this thread.

AT Mod Usandthem

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
If those specs are legit, then 13400 will be wayyyy slower in gaming even with DDR5 vs Ryzen 7600X and 13700 will be very close even using DDR4 3600 cl16.

Intel-13th-Generation-Raptor-Lake-CPU-Lineup-and-Specifications-1200x808.jpg

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Sure, lets cherrypick numbers and reviews to match our conclusion.

Hi! Welcome new reg who is (apparently) maybe biased in the same fashion as a number of other new regs we've had over the last few months who totally doesn't seem to be part of a guerilla marketing campaign. In general it's not a good idea for anyone to cherrypick numbers, including you. But people keep trying to do so anyway. So um, take your own advice and have a nice day!

Let's be fair here, we can't openly criticize Intel for throwing efficiency out the windows while also complaining the E cores aren't scaling high enough. The E cores are there in a support role, they better run with moderate clocks.

I was actually expecting e-core speeds to go down by necessity, to bring them back to their efficiency range. There are twice as many. Anything else throws too large a power share at the e-cores, possibly at the expense of the Raptor Cove power budget.

Geekbench is a better all around benchmark for ST and MT

Ugh no thank you. Cinebench has its limitations, but . . . bleh.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
If those specs are legit, then 13400 will be wayyyy slower in gaming even with DDR5 vs Ryzen 7600X and 13700 will be very close even using DDR4 3600 cl16.

Yes it is legit, or expected if you add 4 E cores and fit all that under 65W TDP.

- 6 P Cores all core turbo only 4.1hgz vs i5 K CPU-s with 5.1ghz boost on all 6 P cores

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019

Dr. Ian Cutress who I hold respect, has said that Geekbench and SPEC are the best source of IPC benchmarks.

Yes neither SPEC nor GB stress the entire CPU and System(that is why there are more benchmarks included on Reviews), but it's the closest we have to test IPC gains.

Reactions: Lodix

Just Benching

Banned
Sep 3, 2022
Hi! Welcome new reg who is (apparently) maybe biased in the same fashion as a number of other new regs we've had over the last few months who totally doesn't seem to be part of a guerilla marketing campaign
What gave it away, me [redacted] on rocket lake? Ill talk to HQ, ill tell them we should change tactics, you are onto us

Anyways, lets wait for official reviews, the leaks right now are all over the place, for both sides.

Profanity (even abbreviated profanity) is not allowed in the technical forums.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
What gave it away, me [redacted] on rocket lake?

Yes. Absolutely yes.

And finally yes, "let's wait for some official reviews". Glad to see you and Mark can agree on some things.

Dr. Ian Cutress who I hold respect, has said that Geekbench and SPEC are the best source of IPC benchmarks.

Don't agree. At all. The only reason why people keep using them is that they can be compiled to run on just about anything - even phone SoCs. Fortunately some sites still run CPU benchmarks and give us a larger suite of data to consider than just those two benchmarks. So hurray for that!

Last edited:

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Hi! Welcome new reg who is (apparently) maybe biased in the same fashion as a number of other new regs we've had over the last few months who totally doesn't seem to be part of a guerilla marketing campaign. In general it's not a good idea for anyone to cherrypick numbers, including you. But people keep trying to do so anyway. So um, take your own advice and have a nice day!

I was actually expecting e-core speeds to go down by necessity, to bring them back to their efficiency range. There are twice as many. Anything else throws too large a power share at the e-cores, possibly at the expense of the Raptor Cove power budget.

The e core frequency decrease would make sanse, but it seems Intel has gone the other way seeing how P cores have a lower base clock then Alder Lake. Not by much, but it is lower.

Yes neither SPEC nor GB stress the entire CPU and System(that is why there are more benchmarks included on Reviews), but it's the closest we have to test IPC gains.

I don't really care for Geekbench. Cinebench is OK for testing the cores but generally leaves out memory since it seems everything fits in cache nicely. I also remember an article on Anandtech pretty much blasting SPEC, but maybe that wasn't Ian. Maybe Andrei or someone else. However, I find SPEC to be more useful than the other two.

Ideally though, as you said, a nice set of benchmarks is really the best, if not only, way to properly review a CPU. Also checking multiple sites to limit bias any one might have.

Reactions: ZGR

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The e core frequency decrease would make sanse, but it seems Intel has gone the other way seeing how P cores have a lower base clock then Alder Lake. Not by much, but it is lower.

It may also be that everything clocks to insane levels thanks to the new 350W Insanity Mode (tm) that will probably be default on review-day motherboards.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
It may also be that everything clocks to insane levels thanks to the new 350W Insanity Mode (tm) that will probably be default on review-day motherboards.
AMD for sure will send their review kits with beefy Water Coolers. But I have seen many reports that even high end cooling can't keep pace with Unrestrained/No Limits 13900k. I wonder what kit is Intel going to send.

Also this bracket is said to drop temps by 10 degrees. I wonder how many reviewers will us it.

1662238206269.png

1662238305670.png

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
AMD for sure will send their review kits with beefy Water Coolers. But I have seen many reports that even high end cooling can't keep pace with Unrestrained/No Limits 13900k. I wonder what kit is Intel going to send.

Did they send out coolers for Alder Lake?

Also this bracket is said to drop temps by 10 degrees. I wonder how many reviewers will us it.

One wonders why Intel wouldn't start bugging OEMs to add something like that to their own motherboards.

Reactions: ZGR

Just Benching

Banned
Sep 3, 2022

View attachment 67112

View attachment 67113
13900k should be easier to cool than the 12900k at same wattage (240w).

The kit only works with flat coolers, if you have a convex cooler doesn't do much.

Reactions: mikk

Kosusko

Nov 10, 2019

Core i9 13900k with 5.5GHz for eight Raptor Cove P-cores (of which two at 5.8GHz) and L2 cache 2MB per core + sixteen 4.3GHz for atomic Gracemont E-cores with 4MB L2 cache per quad core cluster is a very decent increase over the Alder Lake core i9 12900k.
The paradigm shift in Intel Raptor Lake processors continues.
Awesome.
weg.gif

Rigg

May 6, 2020
This link is BS, for one the 5950X does 26196 pts at stock while your link say 24643, the 5900X is not listed but does 22046 pts

The 12900K@125W score is not heavily outperforming the 5900X, according to Computerbase the difference is about 10%..

This is kind of hilarious. The site really screams objectivity. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER and ZGR

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Has anyone beside this dude been able to post gaming benchmarks for the 13900K?

1662241039678.png

That CS-GO game which seems to be a tie between the High End Gaming CPU(5800XD, 12900K/KS) seems to like Zen4 more than any other uArch.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
That CS-GO game which seems to be a tie between the High End Gaming CPU(5800XD, 12900K/KS) seems to like Zen4 more than any other uArch.

This test isn't really meaningful. Pre final motherboards with pre final bios might have suboptimal memory performance which hinders gaming performance. And something is clearly off there considering 13900K clocks 600 Mhz higher.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
This test isn't really meaningful. Pre final motherboards with pre final bios might have suboptimal memory performance which hinders gaming performance. And something is clearly off there considering 13900K clocks 600 Mhz higher.
That is why I was asking if we had any more gaming leaks.

Also...The 13900K will boost to 6.1 Ghz?(It's 5.5 Ghz on that test)