Question Raptor lake - hyper-threading on or off?

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
I just measured my 13700K processor with hyperthreading on and off and there is a notable difference at the end of the thread count, it seems that the benefit of turning HT off starts at 12 threads.

Would this bring any benefit in some applications, when you at the same time lose maximal performance (from 29000 to 25000)?

13700K HT OFF.png

Last edited:

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
I just did what I should have done first, I ran P cores only with HT on and off, and what I got really surprised me: HT has 46% benefit in Raptor P cores, at least in Cinebench workload!

This seems pretty remarkable, was the Alder lake already like this?

What benefit has HT in Zen 4 cores?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexium

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I just did what I should have done first, I ran P cores only with HT on and off, and what I got really surprised me: HT has 46% benefit in Raptor P cores, at least in Cinebench workload!
HT gains benefit the wider the cores are because it uses the instructions that the first thread can't use.
Intel has widened their cores several times over the last gens so HT has improved several time.

For your first post, you are limiting a 250W CPU to 200W ,and you can see that in the last few measurements it maxes out the power, so at least a good chunk of regression comes from the power limit.
Don't forget that this CPU is not intended to run at 5.5Ghz all core under heavy load, if you didn't change that then your mobo applied all core enhancement or whatever your mobo calls it.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
I am not sure that the power limit had any effect, first it by itself is a normal and expected part of running these CPUs, and it was the same for both measurements.

The CPU is overclocked by 100-200 MHz, BTW 200 MHz seems to be a frequency bump that most of these CPUs can handle without problem or any further settings needed. The setting was the same for both measurements too.